Tutorial: How to use Pepakura to make your Mjolnir Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys complete and total noob at making armor, I'm trying to print out the helmet from the free version of Pepakura Designer 3 and when I hit print nothing happens, but I have followed the tutorial to the letter. Do I need to buy the Full version from the site? Or did I miss some setting that needs to be turned on?

Only thing that missing is a key/ license.

I used to have one, but when I moved all my files to my external hard drive to free up the lap-top, I had to uninstall and resinstall, now no license.

The license enables you to do more, so does anybody have one to share. I don't want to pay 30.00 again.

Giving away registration codes is illegal :eek:
If you lost your code, maybe you should contact the company. And next time you get one, create multiple digital and hard copies of the code so you don't loose it.

Noob question: If I have an A4 file type, is there any way I can change the page setup to letter? Ive realized this might put some of the pieces on varied pages making it a bit harder to remember which pieces go with which side of your helmet/torso/chestpiece, but I would rather that then me having to go out and buy another pack of paper which I will hardly use (im poooor). Been looking around the designer but I can't find anything. Halp?

Damarius101 said:
Noob question: If I have an A4 file type, is there any way I can change the page setup to letter? Ive realized this might put some of the pieces on varied pages making it a bit harder to remember which pieces go with which side of your helmet/torso/chestpiece, but I would rather that then me having to go out and buy another pack of paper which I will hardly use (im poooor). Been looking around the designer but I can't find anything. Halp?
Go to Configuration --> Print and Paper Configuration and on the drop-down menu (the one showing "A4"), select "Letter."

Last edited by a moderator:
Ral Partha said:
Go to Configuration --> Print and Paper Configuration and on the drop-down menu (the one showing "A4"), select "Letter."

Aaah, thankyousomcuh. However, one pice in particular happens to be very large and wants not to fit on a sinlge page of letter paper. If I want to do this project I think Im going to have to buy A4 cardstock :( (1MB's Small Smooth Torso). At least I know how to do that then.

Once again, we owe you our lives.

I began my work and put in 4 straight hours last night of cutting and constructing just the Left Calf/Knee piece.

I did use the scale, and I am 5'11" as well.

I figured starting with this piece will let me see the scale, and to construct this peice first will give me insight as the the best method for creating durable armor.

My only question, when other's scaled their work (Frizzle's Peps and the right scale) do the parts seem quite large to you at first as well? I know that once I have the full suit, and I put in all the details, it will all pan out, but I want to make sure that it is the right size before I waste my time.

P.S. It's fun to try to fit my foot through the bottom of the calf part. I'm thinking about cutting the little rim off.

Also, HOT GLUE IS THE SHIZZNIT!!!

Damarius101 said:
Aaah, thankyousomcuh. However, one pice in particular happens to be very large and wants not to fit on a sinlge page of letter paper. If I want to do this project I think Im going to have to buy A4 cardstock :( (1MB's Small Smooth Torso). At least I know how to do that then.
No. Besides, where are you going to get A4-sized cardstock in the US?

For large pieces, move you cursor to the right side of the window, where the pep pieces are located. Right-button click and choose "Join/Disjoin Face." When you move the cursor over a piece, sometimes a green line will show up. Click on this green line and the piece will be cut in two. Move the cursor to the edge of a piece and sometimes a red line will show up. Double-click on this edge and two pieces will be joined at the point. That's how we unfold the files: cut them down and gather them together into pieces that will fit on a paper.

Now go and practice unfolding.

1st, found my Pepakura key, so woo hoo.

Second, printed out everything but the helmet.

Third, both Kee-Calf pieces done with the torso almost finished.

4th, again, thank you Frizz for such a great post.

5th, I scaled my armor, and it all seems good, but the toro piece is much smaller than I though. If you guys use the prints from Frizz and the scale, make your torso piece a littler larger than the rest.

This may also be why so many people's pictures online show them with a huge gap from the chest to the groin.....

So, I am on my way and still working hard, plus going through exatco blades like a champ, as they tend to dull frequently.

I am waiting to finish a peps before beginning resin and mold casting, so I'll keep posting untile then.

Keep up the good work, everyone, and thanks for all the input.

PEACE!

PBCR said:
Can anyone tell me how to scale the armor down??? :confused: Need Help..... Gamertag PBCR

DUDE!

Do the research and put in your time like the rest of us.

FRIZZLE FRY:
"WARNING, THIS IS ONLY FOR FRAZ'S MJOLNIR PEP FILES. DON'T PM ME THAT SOME OTHER FILE DOESNT SCALE RIGHT, THATS NOT WHAT THIS IS MADE FOR.

Here we go peeps.

This should work for the most part, if you have a normal sized body like Chief it should work for sure. But if you are a bit chunky so to speak, or the oposite which would be a bit of a rail (aka, that sexy girl Sean Bradley ;-) ), you will probably want to change the sizing a bit more or less to make sure your limbs and chest fit.

I'm not getting behind the formula because it's a waste of time. It seems no one cares how the math works just as long as it works. So here's what you do.

Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.

Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558

Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979

Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"

Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.

One thing to keep in mind
The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual height before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight."

SiNiSt3r said:
Im new to this pepakura thing anyway i was wondering how do you know which are mountains and which are valleys?
There's a sticky called "Tutorial: How To Make Good Folds For Pepakura Armor" that answers your question. Go read that one. Since you're new to pepakura, I highly recommend that you read the other stickies also.

Making Progress.

Only been working for a little over a week, and my peps are coming along nicely.

I plan to fully pep everything before I go to the next step.

Reson being: everyone's progress chart I see shows the helmet fully finished and nothing else started. I figure that once people complete the helmet, they are satisfied and not motivated to do the rest.

I am taking this thing by the horns, and slowly but surely.

Seeing a finished pep piece is quite rewarding.

RELLIK NISSASSA,

Please don't post your WIP on the stickies. That's not the purpose of having these stickies. Instead, create your own separate WIP thread and make sure you include pics too.

Please don't flame me for this one, but I'm pepping my first helmet, the Mark VI, and I just printed everything off and everything's in order, except I'm not sure where to cut out the pieces. I mean, obviously I cut along the black outline of the thing but there are solid black lines leading into the piece. Do I cut these? Or are these guidelines for some other aspect? Sorry if I am being unclear, it's hard to explain.
Thanks for the help.

---Noob

MindlessIndulgence said:
Please don't flame me for this one, but I'm pepping my first helmet, the Mark VI, and I just printed everything off and everything's in order, except I'm not sure where to cut out the pieces. I mean, obviously I cut along the black outline of the thing but there are solid black lines leading into the piece. Do I cut these? Or are these guidelines for some other aspect? Sorry if I am being unclear, it's hard to explain.
Thanks for the help.

---Noob

Cut every solid line, don't cut the dotted lines. Your saying that sometimes the solid line goes into the piece, right? That most likely means the other piece that will be glued to that piece needs more room and must go into the piece to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back