Tutorial: How to use Pepakura to make your Mjolnir Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of things I wanna ask.
First of all if your scaling the papekura,scale it ONCE,I scaled my helmet up twice and stuck it to card,and it's gigantic,I mean you could easily fit a soccer ball inside it.
Scond,my plan is to build the helmet out of card,spray it with enamel or PVA glue to make it waterproof,then take plastercast moulds of the helmet,then use a wax release and fibreglass the cast to make the helmet,can you guys PM me and tell me what you think,so I know weather im wasting my time totally on that or not,I wanna know the best way to do this cos I need a full suit of it before august 2008.
Third,I noticed a few people saying about how the moniter is just a model,but how about making a flying one,like,putting an RC helicopter inside the moniter in some way.

I'm also considering making motorcycle armour out of fibreglass to see what would happen!

Frizzlefry said:
Thanks to the hard work of JediFraz, all of the pieces of Mjolnir Armor are available for download right here. You will want to click all of the links below and save them to your hard drive in a place that you can easily find. Here are the pieces:
Helmet
Chest and Backpack
Left Bicept
Left Forearm and Hand
Right Bicept
Right Forearm and Hand
Crotch and Rear
Left Thigh
Left Calf
Left Foot
Right Thigh
Right Calf
Right Foot
Greetings i wana ask if it is possible to export Pdo files to a CAD program because i want to create a Excel Document or a Php script that can calculate the Multiply factor for Pepakura so tha no one needs to calculate there parts themself or is there anybody how had done that?? Because i have finished my resized helmet put it on and cant get it off without break it apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
how do you transfer the pepakura image to such like cardboard or foam board?
not quite sure.
and what do you prefer to look better from experience, cardstock, foam board, or cardboard?
ty!

yeah i got 110 cardstock.
and my uncle knows alot about resining and fiberglassing.
so i'm good there with cs and res and fiber.
but questions...
i havn't got a clear answer on these cuz everyone does it different.
1. do i resin both inside and outside of helm?
2. do i fiberglass inside and outside of helm?

General agreement is resin the outside and 'glass the inside but if you got some of the real fine, smooth 'glass that RC plane builders use you could do the outside with that and have thougher outside than just resined stock.

awesome.
thanks.
now i guess my very last question is...
glue gun.
where the **** can i get one?
cuz i used super glue for my first pep helmet that i made in like 8 house just glued together, i wasn't going for perfection.
just to see the minimal what i could do.
and super glue was dry in two seconds and kind of a mess.
so this next one i'm going to do a bomb ass job.
but i want a glue gun and cannot locate one.
so where could i locate one and what would be an average price?
and i've tried wal-mart.
all i see is caulk.

Check the crafts section for hot glue guns but be careful with it since it can be a bit lumpy and you'll go through lots of sticks making your armor.
One of the other folks here suggested using oderless contact cement. One can will last the whole suit since you use so little of it, but since it's a milky color you need to add a bit of color to it or use color stock so you can see where you put it. :) Be sure you get the pieces lined up right first since the stuff lives up to its name, once the two faces touch and you add any pressure, they are stuck for good.

alright thank you once again.
maybe i'll just stick with the super glue.
idk tho.
we will see.
thank you again tho.

Be carefull with that too, some resins are actively hostile to super glue and your piece will come apart. Try something simple first (like the hands) to see if the glue and the resin get along together.

i bought Welder industrial-strength adhesive.
do you think this will work?
i bought contact cement too.
but just so happens the one i grabbed had hardened already.
it's ********.
but it looked very messy to use anyways.
so do you think what i have will do the trick or no?

this is for newbs like me :) try typing ONLY the URL without the [/IMG] in it in

http://405th.com/forums/chat/flashchat.php

u type it in the chat box, click enter, click the url that u typed in.... then the pic should pop up... i figured it out just now... please look for my vid at

www.youtube.com/shadow8136

its going to take a while... while i was typing dis, i am only printing out my 2nd page with pepakura,

[110lb and it has 150 sheets for about at least 6 bucks... very cheap at Wal-Mart]

not sayin to members just for newbies like i waz before i started printing... [now im on my 3rd page :) thnx 405th forums!!!]

For those that have completed any pieces of pep, how angular is it? Does it look like a N64 model, or is it relatively smooth curves? (for an object using polygons)

I've been reading threads for the past week trying to get an idea of how I want to build the MC armor. One idea I've had is to build a pep version, resin and 'glass it, mold it, cast it in resin or plaster, and sand those hard angles (that aren't supposed to be hard angles) and then cast that for the final project.

I'm artistic, and funding isn't too much of a concern, so going the BlueRealm route wouldn't be a problem, other than the extreme time it would take to sculpt. So I'm trying to gauge my other options. Has anyone here cast their pep?

[EDIT]
I found Spase's blog, and his method suits me (resin and glass it, then build up and sand down the curved parts)/

thanks.
i havn't got that far with it yet.
but i figured if you ended up using a lighter paint it would.
but i'm assuming you need a thicker paint.
once again.
thanks buddy.

do extremely small holes matter?
such as like holes you could fit a needle through.
if you get what i'm saying.

Frizzlefry said:
Yeah... If you actually read what was written instead of just clicking you would know that they aren't pictures. They are the actual armor files as the tutorial Part II indicates "Downloading the Armor Files" If you don't have Pepakura, you can't just click and open them.
Actually, I think even if you do have Pepakura, if you click and open them you have to select Pepakura as the program used to open it.
i dunno how 2 stick it 2getha and make the part

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back