Tutorial: Pepakura building for dummies (or noobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
very nice tutorial but yoiu said that use a low tetmpérature gun glue is that mean that hot glue gun is the best for peparuka??? if no whats the best glue.

pelletierm8 said:
very nice tutorial but yoiu said that use a low tetmpérature gun glue is that mean that hot glue gun is the best for peparuka??? if no whats the best glue.

Yeah, hot glue's a good choice for Pepakura, Pelletier. I use a high temperature gun, but that's only because that's all I found. Superglue is another popular glue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the tutorial, sounds like it can really help me but... I can't see the pics because you have to much pics on your Photobucket account.

Could you either make a new one or delete some of your pics so we could see the pictures?!

If you did, your tutorial would help me more.

FacePlant405

AWESOME!!! This is exactly what I needed, I'm really starting to understand this now(been trolling the forums and researching, researching, and researching some more!!) I want a strong grasp of what I'm doing before I even start(though I maintain the understanding that I'll learn more with trial and error(can't beat good ole hands on practice)) Going to bookmark this for easier access. Thanks again good sir for the tut.

Okay, so this is my real first attempt doing Pepakura, I've had little of no success before so just building Macross planes from this stuff.

Anyways, I'm doing the Halo 3 ODST helmet, like so many others. And this time I managed to remember to get the number guides in so I could figure this out! Last time I didn't do it.

K, so I started on the side of the helmet near the edge, got two pieces together, but they don't want to match up correctly, so I'm wondering if there's something I did wrong, or perhaps it's just odd on how these pieces maybe angle?

MainPieceswontgoin.jpg
these are the two pieces of which I'm talking about. Hopefully someone will recognize them.

So, what is it I'm doing wrong on this if anyone can tell?

Second, I'm making an estimated guess here, but I'm guessing pieces like these are fillers to help certain shapes become more 3d Realistic? This part goes in that same area where anotherpiece will go on top of that.

Filler.jpg

So, am i on the right track here? CauseI'm seriously wasting paper right now on my second shot at this helmet :p

Nevermindon the first question, I got it to work, it just took some practice I guess. My glueing wasn't teriffic but I guess that's not what's really important, it's getting the pieces to fit right and stay in place.I gotta say though, this site is pretty helpful!

Okay, now I'm stuck and I can't figure this out, so hopefully someone can guide me.

I started working on the top of the helmet, just the "spine" area, and I'm getting close to the front. However I'm at the portion where there are 5 pieces that all seem to connect and overlap eachother forming a 3D like square that pertrudes upward on the front top of the helmet. Looking it over, the build of these parts are very thin so folding them is tricky, but finding the right places to fold is the most difficult part and now I got too reprint one of the parts and do it again.

Okay so I'm looking at the pepakura viewer, and from the front of the helmet it's the second row which connects with two other pieces inside it...I'm looking it over going "How the hell do you do that?!" when the pieces are so small and thin that the folding is very difficult.

Any ideas or guidelines Ican follow to make that easier?

Great tutorial,thank you very much for making this.

This will defently be a HUGE help.I can't wait to get started on the ODST helmet.

It looks fun and thanks again.

Great tutorial and s just what i'm looking for as i am a dummie and noob when it comes to this lol.

I have a quick question.

Well,i have just started my first project the ODST helmet and i was wondering if it matters if i go over the dotted lines so you can't see them. I just relised by your tutorial that there are 2 diffrent lines and i'm not to sure if it's important that they are diffrent.

Thank you again for the great tutorial defently is helpful and thank you very much for making it. :D

Hikuro said:
Okay, now I'm stuck and I can't figure this out, so hopefully someone can guide me.

I started working on the top of the helmet, just the "spine" area, and I'm getting close to the front. However I'm at the portion where there are 5 pieces that all seem to connect and overlap eachother forming a 3D like square that pertrudes upward on the front top of the helmet. Looking it over, the build of these parts are very thin so folding them is tricky, but finding the right places to fold is the most difficult part and now I got too reprint one of the parts and do it again.

Okay so I'm looking at the pepakura viewer, and from the front of the helmet it's the second row which connects with two other pieces inside it...I'm looking it over going "How the hell do you do that?!" when the pieces are so small and thin that the folding is very difficult.

Any ideas or guidelines Ican follow to make that easier?

Hikuro,

I started the ODST helm as my first project, which is not really the best idea for a noob like me :)

On the ear pieces, yes, that spiny looking strip is used to give a 3D effect on that part, however, I would recommend cutting down those large spiny tabs to smaller tabs. They really get in the way and are a real pain. And yes, you will have to bear with all those darn little parts.

As to your second post, I just kinda fudged that top piece and worked it over with a dremmel and bondo after I glassed it and everything. It still didn't work out all that well for me. Again, a tribute to my experience.

Hey if you can get it to work, good for you!

ok so i just joined the 405th but i still dont know what pepakura is or how i can get it can a noob get some help becuse i have no clu how to do anything???

k4b00se said:
ok so i just joined the 405th but i still dont know what pepakura is or how i can get it can a noob get some help becuse i have no clu how to do anything???

On that note, I also have a few questions. I have Pepakura designer 3, whereas all the examples are designer 2. The pages are pre-set to letter, but when printed, are not lined up the way the thing says they are. The pieces print only partly on the page. How do I fix this? also, I'm having trouble locating resin for the exterior. Home Depot don't got it, nor does Walmart (heaven forbid!) where can I get some? I really enjoy the site and the help.

For K4b00se, I would suggest the fun way: trial and error, baby! Don't over-commmit yourself. Just mess around with the thing and try to figure out what the program can and can't do. Best way to learn, rather than try to have someone else explain it.

Spartan-NX said:
I'm really new here, I've been spending my time going through all the tutorials and archives (because that's what good newbies do) and this has REALLY helped me understand the whole Pepakura building process. Thanks man.

I second this. This tutorial saved me so much time when it came to getting everything done. Unfortunately that time was still over 13 hours for a chest plate, but hey it is looking good so far... Thanks for the tutorial!

I was looking through the first post and noticed your songs.

I told my mom and she said that your a girl. I listen to all the same songs.Im a guy too.

My mom doesnt think non-scadians listen to abba. Who knew.

Oh and good tut. I dont use pens at all, but still.

how exactly can you make your own 3d models for pepakura? do you start from scratch or put the game in the disc drive of the computer and extract the model into pepakura? I have been trying to get the gravity hamme, feul rod gun and flamethrower for some time and whenever i found it in the forums it said the file was deletd or not valid. can someone please help me?!? I'm not new to pepakura but I try really hard to find my fav weapons.

p.s. RVB is the best show of all time!!!!

Thank you so much, I literally joined this site about 30 minutes ago, and I'm planning on starting my first Papakura Mark VI armor. I just need to find a guide for the printing process, and getting some blueprints for the Mark VI armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back