Hardener
Fiberglass Cloth (8 square feet, [is this enough for the helm?]
Bondo Body filler

3 brushes, standard
3 brushes, foam
Smoother

and a working area outside...

am I missing anything?...

also, an certain way of mixing the resin and hardener? or folling the instructions that came with it...

my steps;

1. Resin folders and corners; then dry
2. Resin all of outside; then dry
3. Resin inside; then dry
4. lay fiberglass close in all of inside; glue corners for hard to reach areas
5. resin fiberglass
6. (should i put more layers of fiberglass cloth?) or 2nd Layer of resin
7. Bondo and Sand for smoother edges

Does this sound about right? any suggestions?...

Thanks guys!!! Im starting glassing friday (or tomorrow night if I have time after work)

TwistedCory said:
picked up glassing supplies,

I got:

Gloves
Particle Mask
Resin
Hardener
Fiberglass Cloth (8 square feet, [is this enough for the helm?]
Bondo Body filler

3 brushes, standard
3 brushes, foam
Smoother

and a working area outside...

am I missing anything?...

also, an certain way of mixing the resin and hardener? or folling the instructions that came with it...

my steps;

1. Resin folders and corners; then dry
2. Resin all of outside; then dry
3. Resin inside; then dry
4. lay fiberglass close in all of inside; glue corners for hard to reach areas
5. resin fiberglass
6. (should i put more layers of fiberglass cloth?) or 2nd Layer of resin
7. Bondo and Sand for smoother edges

Does this sound about right? any suggestions?...

Thanks guys!!! Im starting glassing friday (or tomorrow night if I have time after work)
First off it sounds almost perfect and WOOHOOO we got another canadian on the site ....now im not so damned lonely haha im about to go through the same process your doing in about a week ....i've already built the bady piece and helmet but my brother burned it .....so back to square one .....but anyways in about a week i will also be cutting, folding, resining, fibreglassing, then finally , bondoing , and you may want to get a dremel to smooth and detail your bondo surface after it hardens , keep up the good work, Dallis

Last edited by a moderator:
Cory

A second or third layer of fiberglass couldn't hurt, and you should have enough to do this with your 8' piece.

An extra coat of resin overtop of your last layer of fiberglass and resin will help smooth things out a bit, make it easier to sand.

And a Rotary tool (like a Dremel) is really required to sand and shape the fiberglass after it is hardened. They're not very expensive, and you'll use it again, for sure.

Also I wouldn't use those foam bruhes with resin, odds are that they will break down due to the solvents in the mixture. I've found that a good supply of 1" natural bristle 'chip brushes' are best for resin. They're the cheapest ones at most hardware stores... buy about 10, in case they hardene up after the first use.

When you say 'Particle Mask", I hope you're not talking about one of those flimsy paper dust masks... Even if you are working outside, it's a good idea to get a decent filtered respirator... otherwise you're going to get dizzy while you're working with the resin. An example of a sufficient repirator can be found here: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...uctId=100074692

db6926c7-bfaf-490d-8c81-a932f10a2c77_300.jpg

Please god don't put the fiberglass on the outside... THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO IT!!!! :mad: Everyone seems to think that it's such a great idea to cover up all of the details with a lump of body filler. Why not just dip it in mud? But seriously, if you want it to look cool, put the fiberglass on the inside of the helmet only. You may have to grease it up with a stick of butter to get it on, but at least it won't look like a stick of butter.

Pardon my anger, but heed my call!!

skyguy said:
Please god don't put the fiberglass on the outside... THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO IT!!!! :mad: Everyone seems to think that it's such a great idea to cover up all of the details with a lump of body filler. Why not just dip it in mud? But seriously, if you want it to look cool, put the fiberglass on the inside of the helmet only. You may have to grease it up with a stick of butter to get it on, but at least it won't look like a stick of butter.

Pardon my anger, but heed my call!!

yah, not fibeglassing the outside, just a layer of resin, and some bondo for detailing....

oh, and lucked out large today..

Zellers had a rotary saw on for 40% off, it was originally 79.99, but in the flyer it says 79.99 - 40% = 13.97

LOL so i got a nice rotary saw with a 280 piece set for 14 bux! muhahaha, i love advert F@#* ups!

What do I do with the brush after I am done resining a certain piece and it's covered in resin? Is it screwed? I've had a few harden up on me... So now I bought 5 more... the other 2... 1 foam and 1 brush have hardened up and/or ripped... 1 of my new 5 have hardened...

cant really do anything.. once its hard... thats why i bought alot of brushes

question for you guys about bondo..

never worked with the stuff before, do i sand the resin on the outside first the put the bondo on? or do i put the bondo on then sand? how do i make the nice smooth corners..?

thanks guys!

TwistedCory said:
cant really do anything.. once its hard... thats why i bought alot of brushes
question for you guys about bondo..

never worked with the stuff before, do i sand the resin on the outside first the put the bondo on? or do i put the bondo on then sand? how do i make the nice smooth corners..?

thanks guys!

I'm not the best person to ask about this , so just keep that in mind haha , but i wouldnt worry about using bondo unless or untill your done fibreglassing ... so just do one step at a time , it's easier

TwistedCory said:
yah ill post when im done fiberglassing so i can get some tips on bondo

Are you going to put up any pics today? im eagerly waiting for them :p haha

Got alot done today,

Finished

Resining
Fiberglassing
Priming
Painting
Battle Damage Detail

Whats left...

Visor
Padding Inside
L.E.Ds

Resin outside...
HaloArmorCreation017-1.jpg

Resin Inside and cut out visor...
HaloArmorCreation034.jpg

Fiberglassed Inside...(pain in the a$$ for a first timer)
HaloArmorCreation053.jpg

Another coat of resin inside...
HaloArmorCreation056.jpg

INTERMISSION as I go to the MOVIES (to see War, which kinda sucked)

Primer the helm...
HaloArmorCreation060.jpg

First coat of Green...
HaloArmorCreation068.jpg

after 5th coat of green...
HaloArmorCreation071.jpg

battle damaged detailing... (might have went a bit over board with it, but i think it turned out ok)
HaloArmorCreation083.jpg

FINISHED.... almost...
HaloArmorCreation080.jpg

well thats it so far... i decided not to sand it down much, just enough so the folds are pointed, cause i liked the sharp look to it... now I need to hunt down a nice visor, pad the inside, and set up the L.E.Ds..

whatcha think for my first time doing pep or fiberglassing..?

TwistedCory said:
whatcha think for my first time doing pep or fiberglassing..?

Cory man thats amazing for a first timer i find....i hope mine turns out as good as yours did ....im getting jealous hah

nice. what type of glass did you use i always end up with a finnish like grass... ive been working on a new helmet *sigh* again. but this time ive spent ages on it and i plan on selling my old one. ive used load of bondo and i used my dremel to get VERY good detail (the dremel is esily god best invention lol). il get pics soon. but yeah nice work man! looks great!

ok just finished folding and glueing chest peice... wowzers like 33 pages :mad:

but its all done, almost a perfect fit, small adjustments need to be made for the connections on the arms around the ribs.. going to make them a tad longer so it fits easier.. other then that, it went together without a hitch... took me about 4 hours.

here are the pics..

all the pieces cut out and scored
HaloArmorCreation001.jpg

front...
HaloArmorCreation003.jpg

back...
HaloArmorCreation005.jpg

side top angle...
HaloArmorCreation007.jpg

back side top angle...
HaloArmorCreation009.jpg

kudos to the girlfriend to the helpful display person and kudos to her for amazing number matching skills!

anyways, ill be fiberglassing tuesday (its my next day off) untill then, i might make the bicep and forearms tomorrow so i can fiber glass them tuesday as well!

as always, let me know whatcha think!

***EDIT*** after carefully debating, im putting the helm under the sander tuesday... gonna sand it down more, shape it more and redo the paint.. gonna keep it same colors with the battledamage but going to add some black for detailing and less battle damage.. i went a little crazy at first lol :D

left and right biceps cut, folded and glued.

forearms tonight, then fiberglassing tomorrow for chest, biceps and forearms.

pics up tomorrow night

biceps resin'd

ran into an issue, with the chest, didnt put enough hardener in the resin, and chest is taking forever to harden. Going to put another layer of resin on the chest!

NOTE:

DO NOT USE a heat gun to harden the resin faster, i did, and the glue i used to hold the pep together heated up and came apart! I was not impressed with that. I had a very frustrating Tuesday :). Fiber glassing biceps and chest tomorrow if all goes well. Sanding and repainting helm tomorrow as well.

Crotch peice is together, will resin tomorrow.

Pics up shortly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back