1. 581-Erudite Watch
    Greetings Guest! I am the NEW guide of the 405th Infantry Division. I am 581. Surely, you are asking yourself, who is this fascinating entity and what is he about? Fear not! The staff of this great community has cleverly created a comic to share my backstory with you. Click HERE to learn more!

Dismiss Notice

Type 32 Rapid Attack Vehicle (AKA Ghost)

Discussion in 'Halo Props' started by Benton188, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Benton188

Benton188

UPDATE!!
    More progress on the Ghost. The seat and...gas tank area?...the little bridge between the seat and the main body. They're both now attached to a 2x6 which supports the rider and holds the PVC for the front frame. All the front frame PVC work is done as well. Working on the wings now, their PVC frames, and finishing up the handle bars. I'll eventually go back and clean up the underside so you don't see as much wood. Final pic has a good image of just how long it is.

24991095_2083001821713637_6444048356674646292_n.jpg 24900219_2083001771713642_421227364405450398_n.jpg 24909992_2083001965046956_2245006071438969099_n.jpg 24991176_2083001878380298_8914765647382463450_n.jpg

2. SuprWeenieHutJr

SuprWeenieHutJr New Member

Another great option I discovered awhile back are surgical blades, they do the exact same thing as an exacto knife but are pennies compared to them. Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F8KFFW...QP&pd_rd_r=JXCW14JF1N9DJRGVK230&pd_rd_w=aOjxE

This link doesn't have the exact same blade style as an exacto knife but you can find one after a little digging on Amazon, I have about two boxes of them and haven't had to buy a blade for over 2 years.

Benton188 and Dirtdives like this.
  3. Lieutenant Jaku

Lieutenant Jaku

Fantastic work!! Where do you put your feet?
    Also, may I ask about the 360 controller on your wall what's the pole on the base for.

4. Benton188

Benton188

Normally on the Ghost your feet would sit on little pegs underneath with your legs kicking out in front. For mine I think I might add two pegs off base of the scooter body almost as if you were sitting in a chair. Out any far forward and there's nothing really sturdy to attach to other than the handlebar shaft which needs to turn.

Also, the Xbox controller with the attached stick is a sword. Different little project I made one night when I was bored.

5. Benton188

Benton188

UPDATE!!
    Wings are finished and now I'm working on their framework and finding the best way to make them easily attachable/detachable. Thinking I might run a small strip of velcro along the wing and where it attaches to the body since the PVC is holding most the weight. I'm also trying to figure out how much detail I want to add to the Ghost in terms of small details. I might just seal it, paint it, and then move onto adding LEDs and building the battery.

25352105_2090318387648647_7127853120351800293_o.jpg

6. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Very nice job it’s starting to really look like a ghost with that wing on there. It would be funny to put some kid maybe around say 5 or so ripping around on the thing. It’ll make the size a look really scale plus it would just be awesome lol.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Dirtdives likes this.
  7. Benton188

Benton188

I also came across this cool looking die cast metal toy Ghost on Google images. Really digging the color scheme on this.

Die cast ghost.jpg

Dirtdives likes this.
  8. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

How sturdy is the 2x6/ the PVC shaft? Maybe you could run some bits off the side of those...

9. Benton188

Benton188

The 2x6 is very sturdy, the PVC is not. I might be able to run something off the 2x6 out front of the wheel, I'll look into it :)

10. Benton188

Benton188

UPDATE!!
    The metallic purple paint looks really good, but the silver still needs a few coats, as well as the black. Also found out that Walmart has stepped up their LED game, and now offer 2- 12" strip LEDs with a controller to change it to 15 different colors for $25. $5 more than just the basic color strips. Going to add the strips on the bottom to give the ghost a nice underglow effect. I'll still add lights to the front for the guns, and the back of the wings for the boost as well.

25994826_2109813115699174_859273024603011568_n.jpg

11. Bucs37DK

Bucs37DK

This is simply glorious...you need to bring it Dragon Con :D.

SI3RRA 117, Dirtdives and Benton188 like this.
  12. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

True this needs to be in the parade......but I can't wait to see this at NYC CC!!! It is a Colonial vehicle after all.....

SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  13. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

Woah! I'll be honest I was worried that they polygonal pep model style construction was going to distract from the overall build. But, once you put that metallic purple paint on there I got really giddy! Looking forward to more details and lights and stuff. Great work Benton188 ! I hope the weather gets good soon too so we can start seeing more tank!! :D

Dirtdives and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  14. Benton188

Benton188

Yeah I'm still working on getting smoother edges on my foam builds so hopefully in the future everything can look a little less polygonal. Also, I'm really wanting to get back to work on the tank too, but it's going to have to wait until spring. Tank is currently buried under 5 feet of snow lol

15. PerniciousDuke

No, your seems are fine. It really is coming out great. Once you get some of those details built and painted like the scale model you showed, it is going to look spectacular!

Dirtdives and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  16. Hein B107

Hein B107

Benton188 you have a tank? a scorpion tank? :eek:

can we see it? can we see it? can we see it? can we see it? :)

Dirtdives likes this.
  17. PerniciousDuke

18. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

I thought of something:
    If you're concerned about the seams you can try rubberized roof patch. I got some of it on a pair of gloves last spring and it still won't come off. Its relatively cheap and usually isn't picky about curing conditions.

I'm going to be experimenting with some of the stuff once my bank account recovers from the Christmas season and make a thread of my results. I don't know if the sealant would eat through the foam or something.

19. Benton188

Benton188

I wouldn't think it would eat through the foam since it's most likely to be a rubber/tar substance. It may not sand at all though, so you'll have to take extra care when you apply it and make sure it's perfectly smooth before it dries. I'm still keen on using flexible drywall spackle as it's sandable easy to work with.

mblackwell1002 likes this.
  20. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

May I introduce you to the seam line demolisher.

I have one of these and use it for seams, shaping carving and a whole whack of other "get rid of this" purposes. It's probably one of my favourite tools and definitely counts as a skookum choocher.

21. Benton188

Benton188

UPDATE!!

Got the electric battery a few days ago, so I was able to mount it and take the ghost out for a little test drive (video below). I still need to add the stabilizing wheels, LEDs, and some sort of material underneath to hid the body of the scooter. More work to do, but at least I know the thing can move with me on it lol

Benton's Builds

22. mumgoot

mumgoot Jr Member

Very cool!

23. mumgoot

mumgoot Jr Member

I like your armory(y)

24. Benton188

Benton188

UPDATE!!
    I ran a 405th booth at a local con this past weekend, with arma358 as well. Was able to get suited up and ride the ghost around the parking lot for about 45min in total. Battery does seem to last the full 1 hour as I had hoped, even with it pushing uphill at some parts. Had a friend help shoot a video for me too, here's a link to that:

25. mumgoot

mumgoot Jr Member

That is awesome!!! The video was so great. It looks awesome and hilarious at the same time. Such a brilliant idea.:D