Unleashing Festive Fury: Peppermint Laughter Mk VII Build

With a little help I managed to do a full suit up last night. I've realized I need to stick to only giving my sister a phone for taking photos because she had no idea how to work with my camera, and most photos turned out way out of focus or super over exposed. Here's probably the best couple out of the bunch.

DSC00275.jpg
DSC00253.JPG

There's still weathering to do, and I'm already making some minor adjustments to the ab wrap based on how it fit (or didn't) with the rest of the suit on. I was initially going to re-paint the suit to a different theme after this con, but seeing it all setup, minus the ab wrap situation I'm working on, I kind of think I'm going to keep it and make those improvements.

I plan to get better shots at GalaxyCon and share those. Post con I plan to do a write up on the ab wrap and what did or didn't work along with plans for changes to push this from a goofy project to something I'm truly proud of. Let's just say like my main suit there's a lot of adjustments I want to make as I think I'm changing my construction style a little more.

In all, given the rush that this was towards the end I'm actually very happy with how it turned out at this juncture.

Let's talk paint and materials for a second here.

I started planning out paint and fabrics early in the process. I think I actually had purchased some burgundy faux leather before ever building a single foam piece for this suit.

Given the parts I planned to be soft parts vs painted armor I started paint planning by finding the materials in good enough colors to do the job then matched some of the paints based on that.

First up was this burgundy faux leather I found that was pretty close to the tech suit color, so I got that.
2023-09-12 16.55.34.png IMG_5121.jpg

With that out of the way, I knew that I wanted to do the same for the thigh gaskets on this suit that I'd done on my last Mk VII build and sew them instead of doing foam. Great for those of us who have to deal with thigh rub. It took awhile to find a close enough dark green to work partially due to the limited number of green faux leather options and partially because a 2nd requirement for any fabric is that I required it be able to allow for some amount of stretch. I ended up finding a hunter green from the same company I got the burgundy from. It's not perfect, but it's certainly close enough.

2023-09-19 14.16.22.png 2023-09-19 14.15.40.jpg

With those 2 parts done, I pulled out a Nix Sensor to find potential close match paints for the fabric parts. After getting a list and taking a scrap of fabric to check against paint swatches I ended up getting, testing, and selecting Valspar Pompeii Red and Valspar Peacock House for the dark red and dark green respectively. Using Encycolorpedia and reference images I found close enough matches with Glidden Aloha, PlaidFX Blizzard, and Citadel Evil Sunz Scarlet for light green, white, and bright red to round out my paint scheme. Spoon tests to verify no cracking occurred when applied over primer and finished with clear coat, and my paint plan was established.

2023-12-05 07.56.07.jpg

I chose to start going lightest to darkest color starting with white. It still took 4-5 coats for full coverage to get the white down, but everything else covered in 2-3 coats, usually 2.

2023-11-06 15.30.20.jpg 2023-11-13 08.37.11.jpg 2023-12-06 08.41.27.jpg 2023-12-06 08.41.38.jpg

It'll probably be a little while, but I'll work on getting a write-up done on the ab wrap and thigh gaskets and what worked, what didn't, and what I'd do differently.

Bonus
At GalaxyCon did a super quick half suit up on Sunday to recreate this.
20231202_183755.jpgFallen Cranberry.png
Photo Credit: Benton188

Last edited:
Finally getting around to sharing about the ab wrap. Before getting into the details of the build I'll say there's a lot about how the ab wrap worked that I like, but there's 2 key issues that kind of soured the ab wrap for me. Those issues actually lean me towards not even deploying this suit after seeing photos when I had the ab wrap on or considering taking new deployment photos just without the ab wrap.

Ab Wrap

Most of this was the same as others did on their ab wraps, and I asked questions of Spidermonkey60 and N8TEBB as I went through the process to figure out what I thought would for my style of building and timeframe remaining. I'll admit to the ab wrap being my biggest item procrastinated on in this entire build. I'd barely done anything with it until the week before the convention. My sleep and my hands did not thank me for that.

Cut all the foam pieces out and assemble the foam for segments that went together and shouldn't have noticeable seams when wrapped. After getting all of those segments I started hand sewing through faux leather and 6mm foam. Even with leather needles, my hands were not happy trying to force the needle through all of that even with pliers. I've since picked up a tool for leather for my next ab wrap that I'll test out or I might try some different methods of sewing the segments together.

In this area first thing I'd change, provide even more material to wrap around the back even going so far as to maybe doing a full pouch around each segment with no exposed foam on the back. I'd also make more of an effort to try to hide the stitching and pull it tighter especially on the first piece that I stitched together where there's a visible gap.

2023-11-27 15.26.35.jpg2023-11-26 17.43.27.jpg

A lot of people appear to put a seam just to the side of the spine/back section and use velcro or make it one piece with maybe elastic behind segments to let them slip into it. I wanted to hide where I put that seam as much as possible, and what better way to do that in my mind than to put it behind the spine plate?

First thing I did was add a zipper to the ends of the ab wrap where I'd split it on my back. Unfortunately I didn't take a lot of photos of this step because I don't entirely remember the order I took and was kind of making it up as I went. I think what I'd done is create a flap of fabric, sewed one side of the zipper to that flap, and then stitch that flap + zipper to one side of the ab wrap and the other side of the zipper to the other side of the ab wrap. I also sewed velcro on to the flap and E6000'd it to the other side where the flap connects. Again if I were to redo this, I'd spend more time focused on hiding stitching. I'd originally opted for a thin thread to try to hide it more, but switched to a thicker stuff, I believe meant for leather work after the first part for structure. If it were better hidden I don't think it'd bother me as much, but this is one of those 2 things that I absolutely ended up hating the result of.
2023-11-27 18.40.34.jpg 2023-11-26 21.46.21.jpg

To hide the flap and seam I wanted to have the spine mounted onto the flap. I was using TurboCharizard's files for the handplates and belt already, so I wanted to see what was in the ab wrap section of his files. Unfortunately the spine was not its own piece, but dude came through and split out the spine segments for me so that I could print them individually and assemble onto my ab wrap. Got those printed, cleaned up, and painted then E6000'd them onto the flap.

2023-11-26 17.59.04.jpg 2023-11-27 18.40.28.jpg 2023-11-26 18.00.51.jpg

By the end it looked something like this
2023-11-28 10.36.32.jpg 2023-11-28 10.36.21.jpg

Now for the other main problem that I hate and what I did to deal with it for the weekend. It was now slightly too big around and yet too short. I did a non-uniform scale to fit around my body, and at this point I'd lost a little bit of weight (intentional) so even accounting for the zipper in my templates and initial foam pieces it was loose and wanted to fall down. At this point I was 2 days before the con, so I added a quick suspender system to hold it up and hold it higher up towards where my chest plate falls and straps with snaps that connect to my belt so that my belt sits closer to the ab wrap. It certainly wasn't ideal, but the day before you've gotta leave for the con you make do.

GalaxyConEdited_ShotByTeamJTF4-100.jpg

Next version for my main suit I want to add an attachment point to the underside of my chest and back plates to connect the parts. I'd probably still keep the suspenders for putting it on in the first place. I'd also make it taller by a fair amount so that it sits more underneath the chest and back. I want to extend the hip pods so that they go under the belt more and possibly even do what Negativecacti did and attach the hips to the belt directly. My main suit version I'll take a step back and rethink what's most important to me in the ab wrap section and take my time experimenting. There's no deadline on the black ab wrap like there was with this one, and I've now done one before and can take those lessons on to the next one.

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back