UNSC SOCOM Trooper-WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the comments everybody.

Progress has slowed a lot due to Reach, school, and my other project (To be revealed later), but I have managed to get a little further. Although, after a large setback due to an accident involving the helmet (no physical injuries occurred; only the helmet was damaged due to its crappy styrofoam “stand”) I have finally gotten the helmet back into a presentable shape, and have managed to move further along with my progress from my last update.

I have been tweaking the symmetry mostly, aswell as sculpting out some more details before I begin to smooth the sculpt. One side is almost completely ready for smoothing/extreme detailing, and the other side only needs some minor tweaking to achieve the symmetry and detail I want before starting the smoothing process.

I have been looking into modern day helmets to continue basing a few aspects of my own helmet on their design. I have decided to put a few minor functions/designs into my own helmet based off of today’s helmets. Features such as a name tape, and a few designs in the helmet that will accommodate the target paint scheme to allow the most tactical and awesome-looking finished product possible.

Now, without further ado, I’ll let some pictures do the rest of the talking…

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

I will be leaving a number of my intended details out of the final sculpt so I can add them later using sheet styrene. Although this helmet will be molded/cast and a VERY limited number of copies sold, I wish for my own helmet to remain completely original so even if the helmet is somehow recasted, my helmet will always remain unique.

That is it for this update. Again, I welcome and encourage completely honest criticism and personal opinions.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Thanks for the comment got armour.

I updated the update with some slightly better pictures. Lighting in my room is terrable, so please excuse the pour quality.

That's a nice concept you've got there. SOCOM trooper sounds very interesting. I am a fan of "practical" armor myself, but my interest is more towards full armor like the Mjolnir. Anyway, I took a similar approach in creating my character, but instead of being "hyper lethal", he's more of a select-fire, one-shot-one-kill-war's-over kinda guy.

Good luck and looking forward to the completion of this suit, man!

Well, long time no updates or words on the costume… But, that ends today.

After strapping a pair of the UNSC SOCOM Trooper shoulder plates onto my neck guard, and doing a quick mock-up, I realized how bulky and darn-near-useless the shoulder plates would be in a heavy weight firefight aswell as on a stealth mission. As a result, I looked into the already known UNSC gear, and chose a different shoulder plate design that would not only offer a tactical and “tacti-cool” advantage on the battlefield, but would also kill two birds with one stone.

Halo3ODSTSMG1.jpg

The original Halo 3: ODST (At the time of its release it was known as Halo 3: Recon) announcement trailer version ODST shoulder plates. Not only would this design serve as an excellent tactical armour component for this costume, but would also allow me to include it in my ODST build.

I set to work sculpting the upper portion of the shoulder using what clay I had remaining from the helmets in-progress sculpt. After fussing over symmetry, detail and accuracy, this was the result.

DSC_0246.jpg

Shortly after the sculpt reached its finished state, I set to work molding the shoulder. Throughout the molding process I was sure to make the improvements I wished to make after molding the original SOCOM Troopers shoulder plate. This time the mold was constructed far more efficiently and quickly with every necessary improvement made to insure the casts to come would be nearly flawless.

DSC_0252.jpg

After a few days of letting the mold air out, I pulled a quick cast from the mold. It couldn’t have turned out better then it did! My casting skills have improved, and because of the improvements I made while molding and creating the initial sculpt the cast came out with no flaws to speak of.

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

Some light sanding, trimming and a squirt of primer is all that will be needed for this shoulder to be ready for paint.

As for the lower half of the shoulder, it is still under construction. Hopefully I will have it sculpted fairly soon. However, I’ve decided to switch my attention both to my other build (My ODST WIP, a link is provided below if you wish to check it out), and continue the helmet at the same time.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/28436-Tarkov-Bravo-21-ODST-WIP

I will update later when I have progressed further on the helmet. I will be going full-throttle on the helmet for the next few days, and will hopefully get it to the molding stage within a week. At the very latest I wish to have a finished helmet by December 27, 2010, the 1-year anniversary of the start of the helmet.

As always, constructive criticism and your personal opinions are very welcome.

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

This is awesome dude I want to see this thing finished! BTW... I notice u're wearing CADPAT... are you RCF?

Thanks for the comment!

To answer your question, I'm actually enlisted with the Canadian Armed Forces reserves and will be in the RCR (Royal Canadian Regiment).

nice man i love the concept but i dunno, its gonna be hard to put helljumpers to shame lol jk keep it up looks awesome

wow looking good so far. i love the idea. you've spured me to look into a better out fit! also i love the step by step process. keep it up man!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back