Updated Mk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarsus

Been a very long time since I posted anything, but work has me tied up a lot...Shouldn't complain as it pays for me to make stuff.

Anyway thought I'd post up an update of my Mk VI armour.

moviemania3020.jpg

Here it is with it's first coat of paint on. <small hand guards too> and no under suit only my nice comfy bikers under armour. Didn't look to bad but the harness system needed tweaks in a big way as the chest slumped down and made the whole armour look squished.

Now for the updates
IMGP1213-1.jpg

IMGP1212-1.jpg

IMGP1210.jpg

A better <I hate on camera flash though> view of the under suit.

74383_453065333750_526023750_5426984_5692398_n.jpg

149288_453065398750_526023750_5426986_5362977_n.jpg

The under suit turned out really well I think, but tends to bunch up around the knees, So will be adding stirrups to the legs to keep them riding up, and cutting out the insides of the thighs and replacing with flexible sections mean i actually could walk without much of a problem, even managed to go up and down three flights of stairs in it. Harness system me and my other half worked out was on the nose.
Previously the bicep armour would flop forward but we managed to figure out how to keep it from doing so
Last couple of pics were done by a good friend of mine to show the suit off properly. I'm happy with it, but still looking at improvements.:D

Oh and I know the AR is of the Reach variety but I'm trying to build the armour now and it's taking forever.

Excellent work, and a beautiful set of armor you have there. Yours looks like how I want mine to turn out: correctly, sized, correctly painted/weathered, and overall just really nice. Thanks for the motivation!

Thanks guys for the compliments. I wouldn't have been able to have done any of this if it wasn't for the modellers and unfolders. The under suit was the icing on it all I think and really sells it. It's done as a two piece so if you bend twist or reach you don't run the risk of the pleather stretching andf then becoming baggy...It'a also a cunning way to hide and disguise any harnesses you're wearing too. If I get a chance I'll take some pics of that too and post it up as it'a always the undersuit that seems to be a problem.

The neck seal on this is all part of the upper torso on the under suit. The neck seal goes all the way up the back of the neck and the chin too...We did think of adding velcro or popper to the upper portion of the seal and have it attach directly to the helmet. but thoguht it was a bit over kill and would add extra stress to the undersuit when it came to removing the lid

It's a nerf recon.
IMG_8258.jpg

IMG_8263.jpg

IMG_8272.jpg

It still breaks down, and the shrouds come off for compact transportation and storage....Paint job suck on it but I'll be repainting it when the weather gets better <boy when will it get better> It still fires darts too :)

oh that's how you did it, nice job on that, this is what i am currently trying to do with a nerf pistol and a halo reach pistol

Thanks guys, will defintiely post up some pics of it re painted. It doesn't look half bad considering it only took a week to build <only had a couple of hours to spare a day due to work commitments>

That looks excellent. And I think that is officially the first nerf mid I actually like. Well done.​

looking at some of the others that have done the same that's quite the compliment, thanks

If anyone else is interested in how I made it, here's a pic of it during construction...All done without templates, just using the recon as a source of measurements. Also I used the sight as a base for the ammo counter, which means it also breaks down and comes off for storage and the back with the display comes off so I can change batteries <I put a small led key fob torch inside and the interior is painted silver....the torch points away from the display and the light is reflected off the silver and diffuses the light so it's not too bright or you get a hot spot from the torch>

nerfreach.jpg

As promised I said I'd try and get shots of the new undersuit.

undersuit.jpg

front view of the two piece suit

undersuit1.jpg

Side view
IMG_9552.jpg

side detail
IMG_9562.jpg

Knee detail

Will be putting elsticated stirrups on the calves to ensure they stay put and don't bunch up around the knees.

I did look at the rubies undersuit, but it's so ill fitting that my other half and myself thought we'd have a bash at a scratch built one. the harness fits on under the torso piece so even if you go close the only thin you may see is a piece of webbing on the shoulder and not much of that.

Okay, so I thought I'd have a bash at the foam stuff too....I used to use EVA foam for all manner of things such as armour and prop weapons when shooting short films...but never really considered it for anything complex...until I saw the mass effect stuff etc.

So I looked through my hoard of files for a pdo that would be best suited for something like this...I ended up plumping for MrOreo's smoothed low def files...They work a treat after working out how big the pieces need to be.

photo-1.jpg

Took an afternoon of playing about and working out which sides of joins need to be bevelled inward or outward etc.here it is comparison to my peped and urethane cast forearm...I used to sorts of glue too as a this was an experiment...Hot glue and impact/contact cement...Hot glue has it's plus in that it's quick...can be messy though Contact cement whilst takes a bit longer gives for a stronger tight seal...So I gues I'll be using contact cement on my new MK VI pieces and reach armour :)

Just thought I'd share the info guys.

That's really impressive, I couldn't even tell that was a nerf mod at first, also the undersuit and suit weathering looks really nice. Good job indeed!

Thanks, took a while to get the suit to where I wanted it....IE good enough to film it...But I have since discovered that even with the addition of the flexible inner thighs it's still a pain to move quickly in...So that's where the foam armour comes in. I've all ready adjusted the pep templates and will be cracking on with the other fore arm today.

I'm quite proud of the recon mod as it only took a week to complete...I am currently building a coupld of smg's to go with it....but am scratching those so no mods

Thanks guys, will defintiely post up some pics of it re painted. It doesn't look half bad considering it only took a week to build <only had a couple of hours to spare a day due to work commitments>

looking at some of the others that have done the same that's quite the compliment, thanks

If anyone else is interested in how I made it, here's a pic of it during construction...All done without templates, just using the recon as a source of measurements. Also I used the sight as a base for the ammo counter, which means it also breaks down and comes off for storage and the back with the display comes off so I can change batteries <I put a small led key fob torch inside and the interior is painted silver....the torch points away from the display and the light is reflected off the silver and diffuses the light so it's not too bright or you get a hot spot from the torch>

nerfreach.jpg
whats the material

3mm Styrene sheets for the most part but I used 2 and 1mm sheets too for detailing and things that need curving like the rear section of the torch housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back