Vacuum form

Status
Not open for further replies.
An old thread for my cheapo former that still gets used frequently.

First you need a 3D printer or CNC cutter :cry:.
I made my former box with a jigsaw, a drill and a hammer so no fancy tools are actually required. If you're talking about the objects to use as bucks you can pretty much use anything rigid enough to not deform under the pull of the vacuum. Wooden objects, clay sculpts, existing objects that are cool and you want copies of them? All are awesome choices to vacuum form.

I made my former box with a jigsaw, a drill and a hammer so no fancy tools are actually required. If you're talking about the objects to use as bucks you can pretty much use anything rigid enough to not deform under the pull of the vacuum. Wooden objects, clay sculpts, existing objects that are cool and you want copies of them? All are awesome choices to vacuum form.

Thanks, I'll probably make my own vacuum former, but I was thinking about making visor as close as possible to the 3D model and that is why I mentioned 3D printer.

Oh yeah, you are right. I didn't think of pepakura. I haven't yet worked with it, but probably an ODST visor would be a good start for me, to learn this technique.

I figured someone would have a post on this. That's incredibly more simple than I imagined to build one. Is this one of those things that takes an afternoon to build the equipment....and a decade to figure out how to get good results from it? Looks like it'd be fun to mess with one. I have some big electric heat-treating ovens that I could use for even heating. How thick of PETG can you do with a typical shop vac as a vacuum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back