Visor Cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrogy

Wouldn't a camera at the side of your visor be neat? You could record footage of you freaking the civilians out.

Has anyone done this yet? Wireless cameras are cheap these days.

ive kinda thaught about it when i get my stuffs done
i got a freind who works with security cameras and wireless stuff and he said if i needed any he could hook me up

i was thinkin bout having just 2 real small vid screens for a widescreen view but kinda tucked up near the top but 1 camera kinda tucked into the side of it and molded into the helm

they do have em in the game i think it was h1 chief takes the lil chip out of one of the guys and puts it in the back of his to see what it was that killed the people

I did this with Biker Scout armor. We do a thing called a droid hunt. I attached a small camera lense, similar to what you would use for sky diving or snowboard capture from POV. I hid the main camera in a small pouch, tucked the wire under the armor, then attached the small camera lense somewhere near the helmet to go for the Colonial Marine approach. It worked well and gave me great footage.

This is something I always wanted to do but just haven't gotten around to it.

It mostly came from the fact that I couldn't get someone reliable to walk around with me and take photos of cool events and peoples reactions. I always kept feeling that the photos from events I did never really showed the coolest stuff.

I'd want it concealed, so that noone could see or know they were being photographed. Kinda tricky, but the pics would just be for my own album, nbot to be redistributed.

I often wanted to buy one of those Tony Hawk helmet cam's and kit bust it to fit inside the helmet ... but I wouldn't want the lense to be shooting through the visor because of fogging...

Vrogy said:
Wouldn't a camera at the side of your visor be neat? You could record footage of you freaking the civilians out.

Has anyone done this yet? Wireless cameras are cheap these days.
It is possible but remember, the size of the camera must be small, and those small spycams are SPENSIVE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats why it's cheap, bad resolution output. But then again I guess a video to show faces wouldnt be too bad. Your not looking for HD quality.

That has a receiver meaning you'd need it hooked up to a machine which can record the video (vcr, dvd recorder, dvr) it doesnt have built in storage, plus...where the heck would you put it when out somewhere, you cant lug a vcr with you...

i had always figured if i did it i'd put it in an AR, that way you got more room and you can always hand it to someone else if you wanted videos with you actually in it.

AoBfrost said:
Thats why it's cheap, bad resolution output. But then again I guess a video to show faces wouldnt be too bad. Your not looking for HD quality.

That has a receiver meaning you'd need it hooked up to a machine which can record the video (vcr, dvd recorder, dvr) it doesnt have built in storage, plus...where the heck would you put it when out somewhere, you cant lug a vcr with you...

You can use a small LCD monitor, or a laptop, or a recorder, or any number of things, this stuff isn't hard.

Vrogy said:
You can use a small LCD monitor, or a laptop, or a recorder, or any number of things, this stuff isn't hard.
for you atleast. lol you're gonna be the groups computer guy :D

What good does a small lcd screen do when hooked up to this? It will display video, but not record. No DVR will fit into your pocket.

AoBfrost said:
.... No DVR will fit into your pocket.

I beg to differ ;)...

I had one of these earlier in the year and was planning on installing it in my TK helmet for a Con, though it had to be used for something else so I never got 'round to doing it. It's wireless and pretty small but the quality is still pretty good... runs on SD cards too so it'll store tons of video.

I'm hoping to get a new system rigged up for my armor when I'm done.

take one of these to pieces, then use
this
as a hud. not everyone knows this but lcd screens are actually clear when turned off. its just the backing that makes them look black. so if you took it to pieces and removed the lcd/components, and then mounted it inside your helmet you could use it as a screen for the camera and when its turned off you could see through it!

Wow, then I was proven wrong. But I meant no DVR will fit and work with the original spy camera posted. Yours is really good and makes life much easier for a visor cam. I'm not looking to spend money, so I wont, but for those who want that, It's probably as good as they can get.

AoBfrost said:
Wow, then I was proven wrong. But I meant no DVR will fit and work with the original spy camera posted. Yours is really good and makes life much easier for a visor cam. I'm not looking to spend money, so I wont, but for those who want that, It's probably as good as they can get.

I think that one I had also had an A/V line in so you could probably use it with the unit Vrogy posted but, by the time you bought that and the PVR you'd be looking at a reasonable amount of money so it's probably not ideal.

Personally I'd like to get a fully wired system, when I was playing with the wireless unit I had a few issues with interference, mostly from the Wi-Fi router, and some of the convention centers here are massive Wi-Fi hotspots :cautious:

Get a cheap camera without optical zoom, rewire the lense if possible. It might work on some models, but I doubt it. You wont be able to do it right unless you have the right money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back