Visor Help / Fiberglassing / put paper here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superzilla

Ok I think I am finished with gluing the paper together. I am need to know if I should put this (see pic):
PICT0244.jpg

on this
PICT0243.jpg

or just leave it off. I was also wondering how to make a visor. Every time I searched how to make visor or how to put on visor nothing helpful came up. help please! :confused

Attachments

• PICT0244.jpg
    PICT0244.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 130
  • PICT0243.jpg
    PICT0243.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 127
I would put the visor in your helmet. It would definitely help during the resin stage to reduce the amount of warping. You can buy almost any color visor on ebay or amazon, or your local motorcycle store, but I wouldn't know the best way to install it into the helmet, since I haven't gotten that far in my build.

Put the visor into your helmet or else the top part will sink into the bottom and look terrible.
as for visors, get them on ebay and just hot glue onto the helmet

PS: the numbers are supposed to be on the outside and the tabs are supposed to be on the inside

Put the visor into your helmet or else the top part will sink into the bottom and look terrible.
as for visors, get them on ebay and just hot glue onto the helmet

PS: the numbers are supposed to be on the outside and the tabs are supposed to be on the inside
I kinda figured out the number thing. I am definitely going to put the numbers on the outside next time. having the numbers on the outside made me have to redo a couple of parts. so when I get done with the fiberglassing how do I put my visor in then take out the paper/fiberglass behind it and should I sand that part?

I kinda figured out the number thing. I am definitely going to put the numbers on the outside next time. having the numbers on the outside made me have to redo a couple of parts. so when I get done with the fiberglassing how do I put my visor in then take out the paper/fiberglass behind it and should I sand that part?
oops. Having numbers on INSIDE mad me have to redo some parts.

yes you have to have the visor in to keep it from wraping from resin and bondo after you get it strong enough you cut it out and clean the edge then Put real visor in. still again I m no where far in that stage. my helmet r in Bondo stage and I had to put it on hold because of weather shed is cold and I suppose to have surgery in 3 days.

Yep get that visor in there! With models that dont have support struts most of the weight falls on the visor and if thats not there your helm will sag under resin most likely.

For big visors like this, I like to build the visor parts separately and add a thin strip of corrugated cardboard around the perimeter to act as a spacer. That way, I can use the "shelf" it creates to hold the real visor in place. It makes it easier to remove if the visor gets too scratched or the helmet gets damaged.

hi superzilla,
I would suggest of fiberglassing it. it will strengthen the helmet at all so you will not have any trouble while an area will be to soft to carry out the whole weight of the helmet.
Of course it is a little bit harder to cut through later on, but it would be worse to have the helm sink down while fiberglassing.

did you already apply 2 or 3 layers of resin? Else your helmet will not survive the fiberglassing.

wait... resin is the stuff in the bottle that comes with a tube and fiberglassing is when you use the cloth AND the resin? if Im confused could somebody give me a link to a tutorial?

hmmmm, resin is the stuff that needs hardener to... harden.
resin (mixed with an appropriate amount of hardener) will be put to the fiberglass and after it hardened you have really good strength.
If you put your fiberglass + resin to the paper, the paper will suck up the resin and sink down (you might find a hint on that in my thread (see my signature)). So you have to put resin (mixed with hardener) to the paper in the first place (very thin coating). this will strengthen the paper and prevent the helmet on sinking down while applying the fiberglass.

Does this help?

wait... resin is the stuff in the bottle that comes with a tube and fiberglassing is when you use the cloth AND the resin? if Im confused could somebody give me a link to a tutorial?

Resin is the liquid stuff that says "resin" on the front and fibreglass is the solid stuff that looks like glass.

I don't want to sound rude, but while your initial question made sense, this one makes it look like you haven't read a thing yet. That's a really bad way to do things around here, because you probably won't get good results and WILL hurt yourself in the process, permanently. Nobody wants that, so the best advice I can give you right now is to just stop, take a few steps back and catch up on the reading. Don't even open the resin can until you know exactly how to use it and, more importantly, how to do so safely.

GOD!! I just finised a two page essay about what I saw on fiberglassing and resin. AND IT DIDN'T post! Oh! and I also included safety! im not gonna write out the whole thing again but I'd just like you to know ppl that I know what others said and that I am trying to 3/4 of the way copy them. Got it! oh some cameraman was stupid and didn't have a respirator on while filming another guy doing his helmet (thats what she said). and I wanted his camera to get stuck in the resin... and it almost happened!

I guess I should add the steps...
1cut the fiberglass cloth into small (not tiny) pieces.
2.Coat the underside of the fiberglass cloth with resin.
3. apply the cloth to the inside of the helmet and make sure no bubbles are left
4. repeat steps 2-3 until inside of helm done
5.coat the outside with thin layrs of resin using a paintbrush (I hear the foam ones are the best but ACE hardware dosent carry them. any Ideas where the have those things besides wal-mart? I hate walmart... those property stealers I had a HUGE yard but now it's all dirt and concrete.)

I guess I should add the steps...
1cut the fiberglass cloth into small (not tiny) pieces.
2.Coat the underside of the fiberglass cloth with resin.
3. apply the cloth to the inside of the helmet and make sure no bubbles are left
4. repeat steps 2-3 until inside of helm done
5.coat the outside with thin layrs of resin using a paintbrush (I hear the foam ones are the best but ACE hardware dosent carry them. any Ideas where the have those things besides wal-mart? I hate walmart... those property stealers I had a HUGE yard but now it's all dirt and concrete.)

I would do step 5 FIRST. Wait till the outside thin coat of resin hardens before doing the actual glassing.

On glassing the paper visor, I personally would only partially fiberglass it. Perhaps just a narrow strip in the middle going top to bottom. That would make cutting the paper visor out much easier.

Michael's craft store often sells those foam brushes 20 for $1.

thank you for helping me that steps 1-4 were glassing and that step 5 was resining... I thought they were the same... and then somebody acted like I hadn't red a thing... thanks all for helping me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back