Visor Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice198

Well, ive been lingering here with my account, made a MKVI helm, scout shoulders and plate out of card board (sorry no pics no camera =/ ) And what ive seemed to noteice is taht there are either motorcycle visors or coke bottles, and so iw as wondering if there were any other routes to take, apart from either spending a good $40 on a motorcycle visor, or taking apart a 2 litre bottle and have a not so good looking visor. I am looking for something arund the $10 range. Please post if you have any ideas. -Ice

My visor is window tint that is laminated. Total cost $2. Cut out the visor on the pep helmet. Take a piece of paper and place it inside the helm as if you were gonna use it as the visor. Trace the shape of the visor. Take the piece of paper out and cut the template out leaving about 1/4 inch all the way around maybe leaving alittle more on the ends id say 1/2 inch-3/4 inch. Cut your window tint to match your template then go get the tint laminated. This is what I did and it seemed to work ok for me.

I got gold window tint online, used it on a piece of report cover plastic. Well, 2 pieces actually, had to layer the tint.

The tint was 22 bucks shipped, I grabbed the plastic from my office. Since the tint comes in a roll long enough to do 5 visors, cost per helmet was under 5 bucks. Unfortunately the seller I got the tint from on ebay is out at the moment, and I haven't found the same tint elsewhere.

Oh and before people go off on tint being lame again, I've had mine done for 2 1/2 weeks now and still no warping, peeling up, or air bubbles.

It's not exactly the best, I'll be doing a final finished helm with the real moto visor, but if you're just looking for something cheap and quick to go with cardboard armor it will work fine.

I was wanderng around Walmart yesterday and found they have motorcycle helmet face shields in clear and black for 14.99. I was trying to figure out how to gold tint one, but the window tint seems like it would work.

well.. for my visor i had this idea. go to walmart and buy one of those cheap moto visors. (perferably black) and then get some gold/yellow/orange cellophane(aka clear plastic wrap) and then make it double visor. the black will keep people from seeing in, and the cellophane will give it color. :D

I've been kicking around the idea of what to use for a visor as well and just came across this on Ebay. Would something like this work?

Football Visor

It's a bit cheaper (not much) than getting a motorcycle visor. But, this was my initial search. If using one of these is a possible option, then that gives us a bit more area to look in, instead of just looking for motorcycle visors.

I have a friend of mine who has a window tinting business that is supposed to be getting me some gold tint scraps in the next week or so. I really like Twitch's idea in laminating the tint. Ruze, is the visor in your avatar the one that you did with the tint and the report covers? If so, that is a very convincing piece. I wonder if by combining Twitch and Ruze's procedures and laminating two layers of gold tint or one layer of gold and one layer of dark, would be a viable alternative?

Greg said:
Ruze, is the visor in your avatar the one that you did with the tint and the report covers? If so, that is a very convincing piece.

Yeah, that's the tint. I had to do two layers because the tint I got was orange at the top and silver at the bottom, so I had to layer the orange over the silver to achieve gold. I can see out of it well in daylight, not so great at night. The plastic report covers have a little warping, though, mainly because of the H2 model. Something a little stronger would probably work much better.

That auction link... is that only for a tint? It seems really vague, and I think it's just the tint, not the clear shield. It looks pretty nice, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
That auction is for the snap-in insert for a football helmet. It's a piece that snaps into the clear visor of the helmet.

Do you have any really good closeup pics of your visor, Ruze? From what I can see in the avatar pic, I'm quite impressed.

****EDIT****

Nevermind, I saw your "4 Helmets" thread. They look really good, especially considering the materials used.

Thanks for giving out more ideas for me, it was a big help. I might have to go find some window tint and other pieces necessary for the process... Thanks again. - Ice

ok im a cheapo, i need help, like this guy i use card bord and it looks like pep/molded in be tween. So your idea might work but i dont know were to get what ruze used and there no were over here to laminate any thing (well there is but take long time to get there). So is there any more ideas you got in your armor making heads of yours if there is plz reply

sigma were is this guys pics at. iv herd of this but never saw it

rvb24 said:
ok im a cheapo i need help like this guy i use card bord and it look like pep/molded in be tween so your idea might work but i dont no were to get wat ruze used and there no were over here to laminate any thing well there is but take long time to get there so is there any more ideas u got is your armor make head of yours if there is plz reply

Whoa dude. I just got dizzy trying to read your post. Edit it, add some periods. Then maybe we'll be able to understand the question.

I can get a gold HJC visor from my local moto-shop for 32.50 with tax. Is it really worth all the trouble with internet ordering and laminating to save $10?

419's CD carrousel visor from Walmart turned out really well though for $10.

Ruze789 said:
Whoa dude. I just got dizzy trying to read your post. Edit it, add some periods. Then maybe we'll be able to understand the question.
I agree with you on that one Ruze, i got the general idea of it, but you no periods, got me confused. And alo i would like some further confirmation on that perhaps you could PM me a mini-tut? - Ice

Sigma-LS said:
I can get a gold HJC visor from my local moto-shop for 32.50 with tax. Is it really worth all the trouble with internet ordering and laminating to save $10?

419's CD carrousel visor from Walmart turned out really well though for $10.

It's definitely worth it if the end product is convincing. Plus, I'd be saving a LOT more than $10 by going the laminating route. I will be getting the scrap pieces from my friend and I have a laminator and all of the laminating sheets I could ever want to use at my office. Total cost to me....$0

I've heard about 419's visor, but haven't seen it yet. I'll have to do a search to see what it's all about.

If you have a local scrapyard near your house, sometimes you can find old snowmobile parts there, including helmets with clear visors.

Then, you find some gold privacy tint, and put it right on top of the clear visor.

Works perfectly.

If you would like a cheap and ease way to emulate the Halo 3 visor and or you have already put in you visor and dont want to have to re-do it, I have something you will be interested in. I have the below stickers that can be used. They come in clear or gold and raise or unraised. Both are very easy to cut to fit (if needed) and to apply. Also, the visor can be used as a cut out template it you are doing the dual visor. See the below pics & Please PM me if you are interested in getting a kit.

DSCF0190.jpg

DSCF0187.jpg

DSCF0192.jpg

Yes, you have plent of visibility. Very easy to modifiy with a Xacto knife.

You could also try gold carding from the hobby stores like hobby lobby or a craft store, it's gold like the visor and very thick like cardstock, so it gives a layered look. Look for the member Steve, he made his son a suit which he outdid and payed heavy attention to detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back