W.I.P. Halo 4 MK V foam armor build ( 3 suits )

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandoman247

Jr Member
Hello all and hope this winter has seen you so far healthy and well. This thread will be of the 3 Halo 4 MK V suits that I'm building with my kids for myself, my son and my daughter. Everything is going to be from EVA foam. Keep calm and Pep on........

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpegThese are the beginnings of the boots so far.

Looks really clean, looking forward to seeing the progress :)

IMG_2044.JPGHere is the beginning of a shin piece. You can see from the pen marks on top that I screwed up when tracing out the patterns. But the saying goes "waste not want not" so I just used it anyway. Note to self "don't try and trace things while watching the Super Bowl."

IMG_2051.JPGHere are the shin and knee pieces done so far for my son. What's nice is my son and I both will use the same measurements. My daughter on the other hand is smaller. This is actually nice since her pieces seem to go faster together. Then again that could be just my mind......

- - - Updated - - -

The armor suits were started on the 1st of the year so I believe the finished date of the end of July is attainable. I don't like to put a time limit on things but this does seem to be a reachable quest.

- - - Updated - - -

Its looking good so far!
i think its really cool your doing it with your kids!

My kids at first wanted help to build their own but as I started I realized that I wanted one too. It helps me relax and de-stress after working in the ER.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the encouragement!

are you just using foam mats for the entire suit or are you going to use something else with it?

We are using EVA foam for the entire suit except the helmets are being made with paper/resin. The helmets are Halo 4 Commando, Halo 4 Raider and Halo 4 Deadeye. I have threads over on the New Recruit threads with all those builds for the helmets.

Finished shin and knees pieces so far for my daughter.IMG_2055.JPG
I finished mine too and load up the pics for those tomorrow. Starting to trace and cut-out the thigh pieces next.

I had a lot of fun building the shin pieces. My son thought they looked like Covenant floating thrones. It's getting warmer so soon enough we will get out in to the garage and do all the finishing work.

- - - Updated - - -

The thigh pieces should fly right off the workbench. They don't look to difficult. I think the toughest part of this whole adventure will be the chests.

I have a question. I started foaming a suit for my son as well. do you find that the seam are puckering? each of my seams are cut an near 45 to compensate for a curve like for the thigh pads. Now I have this peaked line around the armor almost like someone pinched it and it stayed up like silly putty. How do you prevent that? Or have you not had that?

I have a question. I started foaming a suit for my son as well. do you find that the seam are puckering? each of my seams are cut an near 45 to compensate for a curve like for the thigh pads. Now I have this peaked line around the armor almost like someone pinched it and it stayed up like silly putty. How do you prevent that? Or have you not had that?

I'm thinking this might be from where you held the two pieces together while they set. I've had this same thing happen and to remedy this I just hit it with the heat gun a little and it went away.

- - - Updated - - -

I finished cutting all the thigh pieces out for the suits the other day and will start gluing this weekend......more pics coming soon.

Here is a pic of what I have done so far. I've printed the templates for the codpieces and will be cutting them out today. image.jpeg

Literally building from the ground up......Looks Fantastic so far......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back