W.i.p. Mkvi Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
claymationmarc! said:
wow neede more sleep much...hahaha

yea well, this was the first time I've ever made anything (excluding the popsicle sticks, playdoh, all the kid stuff), and actually the first time I would have a pretty sick costume. I always hated those ones you buy from the store that are one sheet that has been cut and sewn in different places with the occasional cheep plastic. lol
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to work on another helmet, but actually have it scaled correctly this time, and maybe I'll even throw in some chest or arm/leg pieces, but right now I've got to finish this semester strong (which is not currently happening in math because Advanced Placement Calculus is f-in hard). So I'd estimate that around mid December is when some new projects from me should surface also being when I should have time a plenty. Since I am o.c.d. when it comes to things like crafts, I am definitely going to use the time well, and will bring out some pieces as best as I can with my current skill level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aeon Psych said:
**Sorry about double post, but...

Some fresh Fiberglass Resin Pics!
Inside, general:
HelmetScaledinsideresingeneral.jpg

Inside, back:
Helmetscaledresininsideback.jpg

Inside, front, closer:
HelmetScaledinsideResinFront-topzoo.jpg

Inside, front:
HelmetScaledInsideResinfront-top.jpg

Did I resin it correctly? What you people think? Also, what are the health hazards after It is mostly hardened? Right now I have it chilling in my bed room

So that's what I've been doing wrong this whole time. I've been using straight up all purpose resin instead of the short fiber reinforced stuff. Silly me.

BFDesigns said:
So that's what I've been doing wrong this whole time. I've been using straight up all purpose resin instead of the short fiber reinforced stuff. Silly me.

If you are being serious, then heres what I did:
1)All Purpose Fiberglass Resin
2)Fiberglass Mat
3)cut the mat into strips, and resined the strips.

when it hardened, it seems to be pretty durable.

That new helmet I mentioned that would be scaled correctly in December...is currently underway right now. So far the outside of it has 2 layers of Fiber Resin, and I am about to start the Bondo for detailing. I will get some pictures soon, if anyone is curious.

-Aeon

Triple post...but I wanted to bump the thread.

Here is a picture:
P6120001.jpg

I didn't want to make the thread really long, or too much data, so the rest that I took are in my Photobucket Album

What you are looking at is:
Pepakura MK VI HD helmet
2 layers of Fiberglass Resin (only resin) on the outside
Nothing on the inside
Blue marker marking key points in detail
Body Filler detailing the curves on both sides of the top of the helmet (the white stuff). Partially sanded

Future plans:
continue and finish body filler detailing
Fiberglass resin and mat the inside
rebound 25 it
Plasti-paste the rebound 25
smooth cast 300 the rebound 25
paint
install Leds, fan, maybe voice morpher (if I can find a decent one), visor (probably single layer mirror gold), and padding.

It's alive!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol. I like it, please continue to show updates on this helmet. ;)

That's looking really good. However, you should probably fiberglass the inside, else you risk it collapsing while sanding, molding, ect.

Gokussj5okazu said:
That's looking really good. However, you should probably fiberglass the inside, else you risk it collapsing while sanding, molding, ect.
Yea I noticed that when part of the helmet started to crack when I was sanding. The crack isn't a big deal, or even noticeable as I doubt you can find it in the pictures.
That was my plan from the beginning, but I got impatient, and wanted to do some details, but I probably will Fiber the inside before much more detailling is done.

BobvDijk said:
looking good, better than your 1st one
anyways, keep it up

Thanks, I have been trying to take my time on this one, instead of the 2 nights of rushed work on the first, that actually turned out too small lol.

Shade said:
It's alive!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol. I like it, please continue to show updates on this helmet. ;)

Will do...I wouldn't ever tease people like that anyways (show a few pictures, then don't show or tell them anything more about it) Just to let you know to not expect any updates on the helmet until around wednesday or thursday though, as I am away from the house.

c00ki3monster said:
That's cool. You did a good job.

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fiberglassed resin and mat the inside. More sanding on the previous details. It is just freshly resined as of this posting.

Pictures:
P6190001.jpg

More in the photobucket album

Next:
More detailing

After:
Rebound 25

Tdoub said:
That looks great. Definitely better than the first. Hopefully you detail a lot more.
Thanks, also>>>Looks like you are in luck...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More detailling pictures. Still needs quite a bit more sanding, and more bondo.

P6220001.jpg

Two other pictures in the Photobucket Album.

I am going to smooth a lot of the bondo out, but I am thinking about leaving it a little roughed/dented up to give my final product a battle worn look. Something where it looks like the wearer has been thrown around a couple times lol. In my opinion, it makes the wearer more of a B.A. lol

I am starting to think that using clay from the beginning instead of body filler would have been much much easier, but a little to late for that.

Probably will be detailing on this for a while...Have not yet purchased Rebound 25 (it is crazy expensive) because I am looking forward to purchasing a helmet from a fellow 405th-er.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back