Warhammer 40k Space Marine: Black Templar (90% finished)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks

If anyone else has any desire to start a project like this or wants to use the pep files. I uploaded my collection to rapidshare. I think its about 3 full sets of different kinds of SM armor and a ton of unfolded weapons. There are a bunch of just 3d models of weapons in there too if you want to play around with those. Hopefully it helps someone.
http://rapidshare.com/files/408543879/Astarte2s.rar.html

Thank you so much I've been wanting to do this for ages but could'nt find the files Hail the Emperor

I'm not going to lie. I hate Dawn of War. I think the story is tripe and the characters unrealistic and bulky. But when I saw that suit... I almost crapped my pants. You have single handily made me want to build a suit for a game that I hate with every fiber of my being. That is frickin' impressive! I vote that this be put into the Elite Showcase... NOW!!!

I've always admired the armor designs of the Warhammer universe but I have had an impression that they are impractical for costuming. This thread proved that I'm so wrong and I'm glad for it! :)

46524_435277973296_751053296_4982679_359376_n.jpg

People have been bothering me to put something on my face. I agree 100% and finally thought of something I liked. A rebreather. This is the base I made for it.
Bottom view of the rebreather base.
46127_435277958296_751053296_4982678_3596498_n.jpg

completed base shape! I have a TON of stuff planned for this mask. There will be electronics (I have 3 different voice amplifiers I wasn't able to use for my mando, i have room to hide them on this suit. CAN ANYONE SAY VOX UNIT!?)
I am adding some earcaps, haven't designed them yet but have an idea in mind.
Then of course the color scheme and heraldry (I have a badass idea for that ^_~) The black is so I could see what it looked like evened out.

I'm pretty happy with how its turning out, it is made entirely from plastic (half trashcan half for sale sign =P) with a tiny bit of bondo to even out the edges.

44548_435976038296_751053296_5004344_4740179_n.jpg

Bam. Went to lowes and SCOURED that place for ideas. Ended up with 4 of these mothers. Looks pretty good to me.
Next step is the front grill and heraldry

Also thank you to everyone for the compliments! I'm honored anyone at all thinks this belongs in the elite section. Those people are way beyond me, but the ego boost sure is nice ^_~
Keep being awesome 405th.

Fantastic job! I echo the sentiments of the previous posters- you deserve a spot in the elite showcase.

I was looking over your progress thread and you gave me a lot of ideas to incorporate into my next project. I have two questions, though, you might be able to help me with. How did you prevent the gauntlet and leg pieces from sliding around and stay upright? And- How did you paint it, and using what types of paints?

Hopefully my questions won't bother you. :c But again! Wonderful job, and done so quickly. I tip my hat off to you.

cid0831100233medium.jpg

Thanks Dusk!
The gauntlets are pretty much held on by padding. The hole my hand comes out f is jjuusssttt big enough for my bare hand to fit through, so when I have my gloves on it does not slide around at all. the elbow is permanently attached to the gauntlet.
for the legs.. took me forever to figure out a way to keep the shins still and centered. No amount of padding could help (there is a lot of padding on the inside.. really a large amount) but.. yeah.
The thighs are attached directly to my pants using snaps. 6 snaps per thigh. I attached a piece of nylon stripping with a male clip to the knee side of the thigh armor, and attached a female clip to a small strip of nylon in the center of the shin guards. This strip goes over the top of my knee and allows me to comfortably take steps and climb stairs and .. pretty much everything. The bottom of the pants are connected to the bottom of the shins by a trio of snaps and velcro.
The paint is actually pretty simple. I used pretty much 100% spray paint. flat black brilliant gold and white. Weathered the gold with sandpaper (220 grit) and black acrylic paint, and covered everything in a solid layer of semi gloss (satin) clear protective sealant. This evened it all out and gave it that slight shine. I love me some shiny marines.
Weathering is layered where it currently exists, but I'll be doing more topical weathering when I finish this mask.

Thanks! I had a lot of problems trying to keep the various pieces from sliding on my Gordon Freeman suit, those ideas would have helped immensely. Now I know how to fix them up to work next year. Much obliged.

I like your ideas for the legs, as I still hadnt figured out a good method for keeping them all aligned, the arms were so much an issue in my Space Marine but the legs were another story but now that I'm doing a complete redesign for multiple reasons I'll see what I can do incorporating some of these ideas. oh and just as an aside yours looks a hell of a lot lighter then my v1 space marine

I'm working on this stuff too much aren't I.

Rebreather is pretty much finished, I am avoiding covering the mouth with heraldry so I can still talk.. but I might end up doing it anyways.

Enjoy the pics! Will have pics of it with my full suit soon.

45016_436360198296_751053296_5012979_6330955_n.jpg

45016_436360193296_751053296_5012978_1189041_n.jpg

44665_436360178296_751053296_5012977_2916794_n.jpg

Good god this looks sweet. I'm not even ashamed to admit it, if I saw this armor on someone else I'd have a nerdgasm so hard my spleen would rupture. I cannot even believe that I made this, thank you all for following me on this journey (Well.. those of you that did anyways)

my next and likely final piece: the Iron Halo
badassmedium.jpg

This is incredible. My brother was looking to make a space marine costume, and I'll definitely have him look at your piece.

Hey, new to the forum, but not to pepakura, quick question. What did you use to strap the pieces together, im building the blood raven and nearly done with the chest....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back