Well...here I go again. (Potential scrap...questions inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Rogue

After being rudely awakened to the death my previous helmet got from not putting the visor in, I'm making a new one. I'm actually stopping all of the other pieces I'm making until I get the helmet done, which is probably going to mess up my chances for having the whole suitbefore the Halo-Ween :(

But anyway, I've printed and cut out the pieces, and scored almost all of them. Hopefully I'll score them tonight and glue them tonight or tommorow. After that, I have exactly one week to resin(which is REALLY hard to do with how cold it's getting in AR), sand, detail, and paint before Haloween. I'm a procrastinator, but I hope to have this done in time.

In the meantime, I just have a few questions. What's the consistency of Bondo, and what exactly do you do with it? I know it fills in holes and things but do you detail with it as well? What can I do to make Bondo more smooth than it is after it's sandable, other than sanding?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dark Rogue said:
After being rudely awakened to the death my previous helmet got from not putting the visor in, I'm making a new one. I'm actually stopping all of the other pieces I'm making until I get the helmet done, which is probably going to mess up my chances for having the whole suitbefore the Halo-Ween :(

But anyway, I've printed and cut out the pieces, and scored almost all of them. Hopefully I'll score them tonight and glue them tonight or tommorow. After that, I have exactly one week to resin(which is REALLY hard to do with how cold it's getting in AR), sand, detail, and paint before Haloween. I'm a procrastinator, but I hope to have this done in time.

In the meantime, I just have a few questions. What's the consistency of Bondo, and what exactly do you do with it? I know it fills in holes and things but do you detail with it as well?

Bondo can be used for detailing and for shaping you helmet such as making it more round. I think it's best to do a little shaping with bondo then just sand it down with 80 grit sandpaper to get the nice roundness.

Bondo can be used for detailing and for shaping you helmet such as making it more round. I think it's best to do a little shaping with bondo then just sand it down with 80 grit sandpaper to get the nice roundness.

Okay. And you'd just buy it at Wal-Mart or somewhere else? And is it like clay?

Dark Rogue said:
Okay. And you'd just buy it at Wal-Mart or somewhere else? And is it like clay?
You can pick it up at Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, I think Wal-Mart, and Body Shops and those kind of stores. It's like the consistency of I dont know how to put this.....oatmeal maybe? lol. Other people will have a better reference to it. Anyway hope this helps.

its like the consistencey of cake batter, maybe a little thicker. theres 2 parts...the filler (in the can) and the hardener (tube that comes with the can). you mix both parts in a specific ratio ( ill explain later) and then spread it on the area you want to fill/detail. you cna do so many things with Bondo. ive had great success making molds of small parts and pouring mixed bondo or a combination of bondo and another composite. anyways it wll harden like plastic and be sandable.

easiest way to mix Bondo brand filler is to buy the regular Bondo with the red Mustang on the can, and a pack of Bondo brand spreaders. the spreaders are made of a salmon colored plastic, kind of a light pink. the Bondo is light gray and the hardener is red. when you mix the parts it turns pink, if the color of the mixture is the same color as the spreader color, you have a good mix. so start with maybe a little less hardener and add more if you need to, just dont take too much time. ive heard so many different ways of measuring your parts. the easiest to remember are this one and another.....put a circle of filler on you mixing surface, then use your hardener to draw a line through the middle of the circle of filler.hope that makes sense.

bottom line is use good judgement. it sucks to waste filler.

Just curious, what exactly happened to your other helmet? Did you leave the visor out and it lost it's shape?

Yeah. It's been through some wear and tear, but these pics I just took pretty much show what happened over time.

By the way, I got it all constructed if you could tell by the pics, and I'll try resining it today. It's a bit chilly out, so I don't know if it'll cure fast. Any ideas?

Just thought i'd give a little update : I've resined, fiberglassed, and partly bondoed my helm.

I'm having some trouble with the Bondo; what can I do to make Bondo more smooth than it is after it's sandable, other than sanding? I've been trying to get some slipups off of it, but it just won't disappear. Also, I think my dad got the wrong type of bondo : It's peanut buttery color is different from what Mando said, but i've just been guesstimating ratios and stuff. It seems to be working out okay. (check the attachment)

By the way, I added some pics of my progress to my gallery.

I plan on adding more bondo tonight and/or tommorow, and hopefully painting tommorow and Wednesday afternoon.

Thanks a lot for your help, everyone, it's come in handy so far.

@ Supertaco : Haha, yeah. When I showed one of my friends the pic, he was just all "Where's the other helmet?"

I've gotten the top half done so far, and i'm putting drywall putty on it to smooth. This is partly for experimentation, but my dad thinks it'll work out smoothly since the putty's easy to smooth. Also, buying a glaze is somewhat out of the question right now; i'm almost broke and my parents won't pay for anything more than paint and bondo. However, when I come back later in a while to do the details with bondo, i'll hopefully be able to do the glaze.

I also have another question. With the drywall putty, after it hardens, would it be possible to resin over it?

I've gotten the visor in, and although I don't think I'll have this ready by tommorow night, I'll almost for sure have it done by Friday evening.

Dark Rogue said:
@ Supertaco : Haha, yeah. When I showed one of my friends the pic, he was just all "Where's the other helmet?"

I've gotten the top half done so far, and i'm putting drywall putty on it to smooth. This is partly for experimentation, but my dad thinks it'll work out smoothly since the putty's easy to smooth. Also, buying a glaze is somewhat out of the question right now; i'm almost broke and my parents won't pay for anything more than paint and bondo. However, when I come back later in a while to do the details with bondo, i'll hopefully be able to do the glaze.

I also have another question. With the drywall putty, after it hardens, would it be possible to resin over it?

I've gotten the visor in, and although I don't think I'll have this ready by tommorow night, I'll almost for sure have it done by Friday evening.

Just make sure the drywall putty isn't too heavy and doesn't crack if the pep were to bend the tiny-est bit...

Well, my helmet's putty did crack a bit, and I think I'll put on a smaller layer soon to avoid that.

I'm sadly not going to have it done by tommorow, BUT our first basketball game of the season's the 10th, so that'll be my next goal. Of course, I could just have the whole armor done by the last game of the season. I dunno. Can someone tell me about metal glaze? I've tried to ask in other topics, but no one replied.

Well, I'd have new pics, but my bluetooth link with my computer's jacked up, so I can't get them off my phone. I'm going to try to get a camera soon though.

In other news...my helmet's still not done. It's been a bit too chilly here in Arkansas to bondo recently, and it's not looking much better. I've been able to do most of the jaw, but I'll need to build some part up more. Also, part of the helmet kind of collasped, and apparently before I resined it, since it's almost impossible to move back into place.

Also, part of the brim collasped after I dropped it...so I need some advice on what to do for that.

Dark Rogue said:
Also, part of the brim collasped after I dropped it...so I need some advice on what to do for that.

:cautious: ... U gotta be more careful man .... how many helmets have u made now?! :lol: lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back