well im giving up....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN 731

New Member
im giving up... the whole scaling thing in pep is too hard... i can never get the right measurements... good luck to all of those out there who are trying as well
 

guidwi

Jr Member
SPARTAN-731 said:
im giving up... the whole scaling thing in pep is too hard... i can never get the right measurements... good luck to all of those out there who are trying as well
It's really not THAT hard.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't give up. Hell I suck at math and I am doing it my way with a photo copy machine. Don't let the single sentence posters who never want to truly help get you down. If you can get a tape measure and measure the circumference of your head in inches I may be abel to help point you in the right direction for the proper scale for a helm. Just trying to help.
 

SPARTAN 731

New Member
quixand_prop said:
It's really not THAT hard.

it really is i have no idea what im doing and its really frusterating... i put together a really nice helmet only to learn it was like 5 sizes to big... idk its to hard
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SPARTAN 731

New Member
Spartan 161 said:
Don't give up. Hell I suck at math and I am doing it my way with a photo copy machine. Don't let the single sentence posters who never want to truly help get you down. If you can get a tape measure and measure the circumference of your head in inches I may be abel to help point you in the right direction for the proper scale for a helm. Just trying to help.
ok thanks well idk is there anytype of formula that will change inches to cm? i haveno metric ruler..
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SPARTAN 731

New Member
SPARTAN-731 said:
ok thanks well idk is there anytype of formula that will change inches to cm? i haveno metric ruler..


also i have to go so ill pm you measurements for thing tomorrow if you could try to convert anything it would be a huge help thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:

koobs

Jr Member
Not to be mean or anything, but if he's giving up this easily would he really be able to finish the suit or helm without getting too frustrated?

But yeah, to be helpful my helmet scale was 23.5 while I'm 5'6" and wear a 7.5 hat size.
 
Ok man looking forward to your pm. The method I used is unusual but it works I will shoot you back my best guess ASAP. Oh one question. what pep file are you using?
 

guidwi

Jr Member
Spartan,

Read this.

Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.

Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558

Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979

Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"

Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.

One thing to keep in mind
The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual hieght before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight.


If you can't do this math, post how tall you are. I'll do it for you.
 
Dont quit SPARTINS NEVER QUIT. do what im doing im making a trial sized model out of reg paper then ill do the card stock when i get the sizing right.Dont quit
 
koobs said:
Not to be mean or anything, but if he's giving up this easily would he really be able to finish the suit or helm without getting too frustrated?

But yeah, to be helpful my helmet scale was 23.5 while I'm 5'6" and wear a 7.5 hat size.
Koobs I don't think your being mean. But think back to the last time you were really frustrated by a project. I can think of several myself that had me wanting to scream like a mad man. Luckily the right person at the right time came along and helped me out. So in that spirit I try and pay it forward as much as possible. and thank you for the measurements close to my size.

quixand_prop said:
Spartan,

Read this.

Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.

Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558

Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979

Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"

Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.

One thing to keep in mind
The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual hieght before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight.
If you can't do this math, post how tall you are. I'll do it for you.
This is the third thread where scaling has been an issue. I just typed out half a page of explanation in another thread explaining how I scaled mine. I admit I have sucky match skills lol. I have said this before but here I go again, what would rock is a chart in English and metric measurements that would give the value to put into Pepakura for the print out.

I have looked on the board, haven't found one. Maybe it is a project for someone who wants to help out the community.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Maj Pain

Member
Here is what i did: Follow the the steps in the scaling thread, but for the helmet, add 2-3 inches directly to the model(2D Pattern Window/ Scale up/down development by specific value). 1in= approximately 2.5cm. After you have made that change, you can use pieces of the model as a reference. I suggest using the visor components. Move them close together on one page and you can kind of see if your scale is about right. Also use the "Assembled Size" reference at the bottom right of the program to determine the height of the model. Hope some of this information helps.
 

papamurf812

Well-Known Member
Don't quit. You can always just find someone close to your height and ask what scale they've used. I think people of every imaginable height have made at least the helmet. Never give up. This stuff takes forever, but once you're done... It's so worth it.
 

docbytes

Well-Known Member
Spartans never quit, instead they throw a plasma gernade at a friend's back. It always cheers me up!

*BOOOOOOOOMMMMM

*DEAD* Crap I guess they do too!




Blue Team 4 Life!!!!!
 

preskewl

Member
Quiting is not an option MR.. I went through alot of body parts to finally figure out what fits for me.. It is frustrating at times, but at the end result.. It's well worth it.. In fact, I will be subjecting myself to it again for my wife's suit.. KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!
 

kahmaui

Member
Don't quit. A bunch of us screwed up more than one helmet. I messed up two helmets. I even messed up the scaling on the rest of my armor, but i solved that by just cutting the paper and making my own folds before I fiberglassed. I still have to redo the chest though, it's too big.

Trust me, when you are finally done and you wear your armor for everyone for the first time, the looks and compliments you will receive will make everything worth it. You will definitely have a great feeling of accomplishment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top