Weta Odst Build! - This Is Now A 3 Day Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest pic!:

IMGP4185.jpg

IMGP4183.jpg

IMGP4180.jpg

Hey All, I spoke to Ithica about creating a fresh thread in this section so that I can keep it more clean and on topic etc.

Anyways, this is my first armor build and I chose the ODST before doing MJOLNIR because I jsut wanted to do something else for a while.

Anyways, Im working fairly fast on this at the moment, I have been making at least one part a day with Pepakura, and then also coating the outside in resin. While that is drying I have either worked on the fiberglass of other parts.

List of whats been done so far (Ill update this thread each time I do something new) But please chest the latest posts for newer photos.

Pepakura:

ODST Helmet

Left chest pad

Right chest pad

Main chest plate

Middle chest plate

Left stomach pack

Coated in resin:

Left chest pad

Right chest pad

Main chest plate

Middle chest plate

Fiberglassed:

Main chest plate

Left chest pad

Bondo:

Painted:

Anyways, I started out with jut the main chest plate and the left chest plate. I got a fiberglass kit and started to resin but being a noob at the time I didn't mix the resin right and it took a few days to dry. That was about 4 days ago anyways, and now they are both fiberglassed as well. Its amazing how solid it makes them.

Started off making the Helmet to practice Pepakura:

IMGP0599.jpg

IMGP0600.jpg

Heres the first time I used any of this stuff:

IMGP0607.jpg

Did some more work on the chest plate:

IMGP0616.jpg

IMGP0619.jpg

Hit the middle and left chest pad with some fiberglass, woo:

IMGP0609.jpg

IMGP0610.jpg

IMGP0639.jpg

Then, due to the cold air at the moment here I set up a production line for drying!:

IMGP0634.jpg

And of course, you need the war face:

IMGP0628.jpg

Thats it for now, ill be working on it almost every day so hopefully youll see progress very quick:

Oh and as for the main torso armor, Im actually going to make that totally from scratch as I cant find a pep that fits me well as of my big head.

You're off to a great start so far!! Just keep remembering the whole safety first thing!!
wink.gif

Very nice build! I really love the ODST helmet! Can't wait to see your stuff finished!

(Offtopic. What Airsoft rifle is that? It looks really nice!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your off to a great start.

Wait out with the heating and the resin, sometimes (and i dont really can tell you when)They can burst out into flames. So be carefull with to position of your piece in front of the heater.

I was wondering whether that was a possibility so thanks for varifying. What I do currently is put a lamp close to the piece for about 10 minutes to harden it enough to move it while using a fan to clear the fumes out of the garage faster. I take it its the fumes which are flammable? After than I move it next to the heater on low heat, and only close enough o that its warming the air around them. They never get really hot, just warm like they would be in the sun.

Very nice work. As far as the heating, set your parts 3 feet away from it and have the fan blowing the fumes away from the heater, it will also keep the heat flowing over the parts. This is the safest way to do cool/cold weather work. I've been talking to the autobody shop (they learned it after a small fire).

The middle Stomach plate looks good, I failed at the center piece part, lol.

Good luck with your build.

HaloFreakX said:
The middle Stomach plate looks good, I failed at the center piece part, lol.Good luck with your build.
that piece took me about an hour of cutting ans sticking, its a pain in the ass. Infact, im beginning to think i shouldn't have stuck it on until after i did some bondo but ill see haha, i might try and pull it off after i glass it.I just want to let yall know something as a kind of warning when building the ODST. When you scale things, you cant scale them all the same. Annoyingly, my left and right chest pads were scaled at 25, the same as the middle chest plate, however they should be smaller as proven here. So I suggest you make sure you study and scale accordingly before wasting loads of time. Ive probably just thrown away 4 days worth of hard work, really gutting. Its the first big mistake ive made :( . I guess this is the price that comes with being a perfectionist. If theres anyone who would be interested in the chest pads, ill probably be getting rid of the ones that are slightly too large
odst1.jpg
Right, enough of me being annoyed that I messed up. I decided to make the pads out of foam. I am going to cover them in 1000D black cordura and then just get them dirty. What does everyone think about the shape? The foam doesnt have to be 100% perfect as the cordura will pull it into shape.
IMGP0661.jpg
I also did a quick test to see if i could fiberglass over the foam. You can, but its pretty tough.
IMGP0663.jpg
Also, a request. Does any one have the original WETA ODST photos in high resolution. I would be very very grateful for them if anyone can help with that.Also, any chance a mod can merge the last posts with this please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much updates recently im afraid since ive been working hard on the scanner. i do however have one of Rube's ODST helmets on the way :D

haha... quiter, how much did you get it for?

Doing my best modelling after his. in fact about to go fiber glass the inside of mine right now

Please contact Rube directly about his helmets.

Also, I do have a pep in progress for a helmet, but thats going to be a different version to Rubes.

Biggggggg update:

Some of you might remember how rube made some of the little buckles for the ODST rig. Well I managed to get 4 raw pulls from him, even though he warned me they wouldnt come out very well. Well meh, they came out fine to be honest. Lots of air bubbles but nothing that bondo cant fix. The first pic is of his mold, then the rest of them are of me finishing them off.

First of all, I had to fit a metal bar in the middle in order for the webbing to attach and hold them on, and then I painted them:

buckle5.jpg

Just finished fitting the metal bars:

IMGP0807.jpg

Bondo:

IMGP0808.jpg

Drying:

IMGP0809.jpg

Sanding:

IMGP0810.jpg

Primer:

IMGP0811.jpg

Painted and drying:

IMGP0812.jpg

Finished!

IMGP0813.jpg

Helmets also done done:

IMGP0785.jpg

IMGP0789.jpg

IMGP0786.jpg

IMGP0791.jpg

IMGP0788.jpg

IMGP0787.jpg

See more here: http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20561&st=0&p=326957&#entry326957

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back