Weta Warthog On Display This Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
Just wanted to make sure you guys down under were aware:

I realize visiting Sydney Harbour may not be feasible for most of you, but on the off chance it is, you should swing by Cockatoo Island and check out the real, working Halo Warthog that'll be sitting there this weekend.

It's the same Warthog that featured in Neil Blomkamp's ill-fated Halo short film, and was built by New Zealand special effects maestros WETA, the team behind Lord of the Rings.

These days, it's on promotion duties for Halo: ODST, hence the public display. If you've never been out there, just grab a ferry from Circular Quay; it shouldn't take you too long. Be a nice day out if you bring a picnic basket and some Halo action figures

Is it me, or does it look like it's had a new paintjob?

504x_xbox-warthog-cockatoo-island-94.jpg

Also they have some space tether wreckage going on there. Neat.

Linkage: http://kotaku.com/5331169/visit-a-real-halo-warthog-on-sydney-harbour/gallery/

P0rtalman brought this up the other day in the Aus/NZ thread and I know Zerebin was going to be there (with someone else I think) in armour so hopefully we'll get some cool photos up here :D

If my passport was current I might have thought about heading over, but I've got no money :pand I don't want get photos with it again until I've got a new Recon helmet ;)

As far as the paint, it does look different but that may just be the lighting? I'm not sure, all my photos are of it indoors... it also looks like they've modified that plating around the turret, it's way bigger than it was and is completely covering the barrels now (there used to be a gap)

Edit: That wreckage is pretty awesome too! I think that would make for some cool photos.

Actually the whole turret is different, it's got more barrels now

Belakor said:
As far as the paint, it does look different but that may just be the lighting? I'm not sure, all my photos are of it indoors... it also looks like they've modified that plating around the turret, it's way bigger than it was and is completely covering the barrels now (there used to be a gap)

Edit: That wreckage is pretty awesome too! I think that would make for some cool photos.

Actually the whole turret is different, it's got more barrels now

ya the turret is completely different than when weta had it. it looks like someone tried to ad a gouss cannon or something, but gave up after they realized they sucked.

BRING BACK THEY OLD TURRET!!!! it was soo much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
SavvyTank said:
ya the turret is completely different than when weta had it. it looks like someone tried to ad a gouss cannon or something, but gave up after they realized they sucked.

BRING BACK THEY OLD TURRET!!!! it was soo much better.

Actually I think this one may be cooler, though inaccurate... I can't say for sure but I think it may actually be functional, in that it actually fires something! There's an air tank on the back ledge and what looks a little like a spray gun handle at the back. Almost like it's some sort of air operated cannon

I shall have to agree with Pete, that gunshield looks absolutely terrible. Like painted cardboard... makes me think it was WETA who did that little mod.

On the other hand, that's freaking awesome and I wish I could go there, but school starts in a few weeks and my parents wouldn't let me go on a 20-hour flight (longer than to China, ugh) just for Halo.

EDIT: Ill-fated my ass, they just say that because they think it meant he'd do a real one. >.> it was awesome and I'm glad they tried.

yes, very terrible indeed!!! the paint does look different but its ture, it could be the lighting.

Man, how would it be to own a warthog? FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!

Bloodl3tt3r said:
Like painted cardboard... makes me think it was WETA who did that little mod.

What's that supposed to mean?

lol.

Yeah, the Gunshield does suck, but maybe the original broke, or they weren't aloud to take such a realistic turret to a place like that?

lol the turret shield reminds me of a satellite. they must have a good reason for the change though.

link4044 said:
someone get HD pictures of this bad boy...from every angle.....please?

I second that. I can always use more reference pictures, even though i probably have over 400 warthog pictures now.

I found a good video on this, http://www.midnightu...s-halo-warthog/

It states in the video customs wouldn't let them bring the real gun and that they threw this together for it. Even drive it some in the video. Only video i have found on it so far and on pictures the same 4 keep turning up.

The video shows them playing with the adjustable steering, It doesn't have to do 4 wheel steering all the time. They also play with the adjustable air bag suspension to raise and lower the body. Learn something new about there build everyday.

I'm sincerely curious if anyone knows what frame WETA used for that build. I'm trying to get the funding together to start on a hog of my own, and while I pool funds I'm figuring out the methods I'd use to do it all. The first thing I'd need is a frame, and I'm not sure where to go with that one.

I know the one being worked on for Operation Chastity was put on a Landrover 110 frame. It's a consideration. I would just love to know what WETA started with.

Hog Man said:
I'm sincerely curious if anyone knows what frame WETA used for that build. I'm trying to get the funding together to start on a hog of my own, and while I pool funds I'm figuring out the methods I'd use to do it all. The first thing I'd need is a frame, and I'm not sure where to go with that one.

I know the one being worked on for Operation Chastity was put on a Landrover 110 frame. It's a consideration. I would just love to know what WETA started with.

I know the axles, at least, came from a Nissan Patrol truck. I read once they wanted to use the chassis too but I think they built their own custom one around the axles.

Hog Man said:

Check out that video. Has some good frame / constructions shots of the weta warthog.

:angry i am uber angry and dissapointed for

(1) dont have my licence until i can go for it in december

(2) i dont even have my suit ready

oh well i will pray they will be there next year ( major dought )

P.S this goes to WETA PLEAZE BE IN SYDNEY NEXT YEAR!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back