what kind/ thickness of EVA foam should i use for detailing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzoy888

what kind/ thickness of EVA foam should i use for detailing? and what should i use to apply/ hold it in place? super glue?

for all of it. it was at least 3 times larger then the little foam mats or "foamies" as some people call it.

I use craft foam in 5mm and 2mm thicknesses for details. I always use hot glue for thicker stuff(including my eVA foam). For the 2mm I use contact cement.

I use craft foam in 5mm and 2mm thicknesses for details. I always use hot glue for thicker stuff(including my eVA foam). For the 2mm I use contact cement.

I use hot glue for everything. But yeah for details 5mm is the way to go. You can get it from hobby lobby, that's where I get it.

I tend to use thicker pieces for the sections that move the most. Mainly in the joints, and the edges of each piece. It'll make them durable, and will hopefully prevent cracks and breaks..
Then I thinner pieces for all the little details.

I use 5mm craft foam for the more notable detailed pieces and 2mm for the ones that are a bit more subtle. I use hot glue for both, it works well for me.

I use hot glue for everything. But yeah for details 5mm is the way to go. You can get it from hobby lobby, that's where I get it.

For a good portion of my build I used hot glue for all of the details as well, and still use it for narrower 2mm details. That being said, for larger areas it looks soooo much smoother to use contact cement.

For a good portion of my build I used hot glue for all of the details as well, and still use it for narrower 2mm details. That being said, for larger areas it looks soooo much smoother to use contact cement.

do they start out looking like crap but then after detailing and cleanup does it look much better, like yours. cuz that stuffs amazing what you made!

i could really use some professional help. this stuff is stressing me out! I'm anxious cuz i want to get this done, I'm depressed cuz it looks like crap, I'm thinking about burning it all and restarting with pepakura. i just want to be at least decent at this so bad. but I'm not. and i don't think i will

do they start out looking like crap but then after detailing and cleanup does it look much better, like yours. cuz that stuffs amazing what you made!

Thanks for the positive comments man! My parts do start off looking not much like halo armor, but they do still look relatively clean. The details really help the armor to become more distinguished as being something from halo.

The biggest piece of advice I can offer is to take your time. You really have to study a piece of armor to see how it is constructed, see how you are going to make the base and then layer up the detail, and see what kinds of angles it's different parts make where they connect. I have over 500 hours into my suit, which is why it looks the way it does. Get lots of screen shots or online images of the armor parts you want to build, that show the parts grim multiple angles. It will make your life a lot easier! Making a quality suit isn't easy, but with a bit of perseverance and a lot of effort, you can make an amazing piece of work.

Thanks for the positive comments man! My parts do start off looking not much like halo armor, but they do still look relatively clean. The details really help the armor to become more distinguished as being something from halo.

The biggest piece of advice I can offer is to take your time. You really have to study a piece of armor to see how it is constructed, see how you are going to make the base and then layer up the detail, and see what kinds of angles it's different parts make where they connect. I have over 500 hours into my suit, which is why it looks the way it does. Get lots of screen shots or online images of the armor parts you want to build, that show the parts grim multiple angles. It will make your life a lot easier! Making a quality suit isn't easy, but with a bit of perseverance and a lot of effort, you can make an amazing piece of work.

thank you! should i just restart my armor after Halloween?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back