What program to make pepakura??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim said:
Probably one of the best FREEE ones, Wings 3d, http://www.wings3d.com/ It's great.

Probably the easiest to learn, Milkshape 3d, www.milkshape3d.com - $25
I don't know who said 400 dollars for 3ds max, but that price is grossly understated... theres not even enough digits in there... XSI is good, alot cheaper, not sure what formats the modtool exports too.

pretty sure you can do obj from the xsi modtools.

and yea.. 400 dollars for max is like the price of the yearly subscription :p

need another zero in there to at least have the proper number of digits :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sketchup is the fastest for quick fixes and modeling. I am a graphic designer and I've play with many of the different cads and 3D programs. If you wanna spend more money and time cool. Everything comes down to preference.

Ok, 3ds Max is actually $3500 :( . I think you might be able to get it for $400 if you are a student, or "faculty". (I'm a student... so maybe).

As for Gmax, it works, but I'm not to fond of it due to its bigger brother (3DS Max). Wings 3D is good for some things, but it's not the most user friendly, or easy to learn. I've never heard of Silo 3D, and I didn't like Blender enough to use it for more than five minutes.

I personally use Milkshape 3D, and 3DS max. Mostly Milkshape, Max to finish it up. I don't own Max, but I can use it at school.

I'm on the computers at school about 3 1/2 hours per day, but can finish the days work in about 1/2 hour, which gives me a lot of time to do what ever.

They don't mind because it's a computer class, and 3D modeling can be considered computery stuff.:lol:

Most AutoDesk software has what are called 'Personal Learning Editions'. I don't know for sure if you can save anything or if it limits exporting, but they at least allow you to learn the program and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a time limit like trail software. It's sort of like the student edition where certain features are limited.
I've had Maya sitting on my computer for weeks now, just haven't had time to sit down and really learn it.

Maya Personal Learning Edition

Edit:
This pops up when I start up Maya PLE-
This is a restricted mental ray demo version. Disabled features:
- thread and host parallelism,
- loading and saving of shadow, photon, and final gather map files,
- hardware rendering,
- light mapping, and
- resolutions greater than 512 * 512 (even numbers only).
- A mental ray stamp is overlaid.

I have no idea what most of that means, but it doesn't really say anything about not being able to save files at all.

one of the only annoyances with Maya PLE is that it puts a watermark over renders. really no big deal if all you're doing is modeling stuff to take over to pep :)

cgspartan said:
one of the only annoyances with Maya PLE is that it puts a watermark over renders. really no big deal if all you're doing is modeling stuff to take over to pep :)

Yeah so I messed with it a little bit and I don't think you can export it to any useful formats. So, I would say don't bother, unless you'd just like to learn how to use the software.

For those of you who have Microsoft Flight Simulator, on the 4th disk somewhere is a full version of Gmax.

It's supposed to be a 3-d modeling program for making planes, but you could probably use it as a 3-d program to make MC pieces.

You have to register at turbosquid to get the full version.

excuse me if this is an innapropriate question, but I am new here, long time lurker though, but I think I might wat to start my own costume.
I have downloaded the google sketchup and would like to do a custom helemt, you know tweak it a little bit, but I have know idea how to actually draw one. Does anyone have a CQB template that I can edit on sketchup.

Again, not sure about the etiquette, if youre supposed to design your own but ay help would be good.

thank guys and can I just say you gusy must have a ton of patience because the costumes look awesome.

Mandalore Dan said:
excuse me if this is an innapropriate question, but I am new here, long time lurker though, but I think I might wat to start my own costume.
I have downloaded the google sketchup and would like to do a custom helemt, you know tweak it a little bit, but I have know idea how to actually draw one. Does anyone have a CQB template that I can edit on sketchup.

Again, not sure about the etiquette, if youre supposed to design your own but ay help would be good.

thank guys and can I just say you gusy must have a ton of patience because the costumes look awesome.

I so want to kill you right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back