What would Halo look like in the sky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I don't seem to understand what you did there. I'd like to actually see you draw how the actual perception you feel is correct.

The way I see it, it's roughly the size of a moon, with you on the inner curve of the ring. Dosn't seem too far off from what a normal person would percieve it to look like since you have the vast distances represented just where it curves up. I don't think using a graph to plot points is going to clearly show how it "should" look for this, because I feel that there are alot more factors not being brought in, such as the scale of a person on the ground of the ring vs. the actual position of the person.

Here's an idea: get a perfect loop/ring, preferably flat representing Halo, take a camera, make it as close as possible the inside ring and get a "POV" pic. Granted, it's not going to be 100% dead on just because of scale, but it'll sure give you a better understanding

I will keep all the formula's and equations out, and keep it simple. :)

Well, according to conventional physics, the Halo would have to be a near perfect ring in order to maintain it's artificial gravity, which would keep all the objects, including humanoids, on it's inner surface as well as keeping the 'atmosphere' in in place. This would be centrifugal force. In order for this to work, the ring would have to be a near perfect ring you see, as it would have to rotate in order to maintain this. Any thing other than a near perfect ring, and the gravity would not be constant, and you would encounter 'pockets' of weaker and stronger gravity in spot, and the ring would eventually tear itself apart. Keep in mind this is by physics to our knowledge. That is the thing with Sci Fi, is you can operate outside of conventional physics. so... The Forerunners, could have some other method to achieve this, like an artificial gravity generator.

By our physics however, mass wouldn't be an issue in this case, as all you would have to do to increase the gravity, would be to rotate the ring faster.

As far as how it would look if you were standing on it, I think they had it fairly close. It's just all about perspective and where you are in relation to the view, considering there are mountains and such.

But I agree with what so many have already said, I don't think they really put much science behind it, they just made it look good. :)

I could be wrong, but that is just my thoughts on the subject.

Dont forget the orientation of the Halo vs. the planet's axis. There is no way that you happen to line up perfectly so that the ring is directly above you (at ground level)

Yea, I don't seem to understand what you did there. I'd like to actually see you draw how the actual perception you feel is correct.

The way I see it, it's roughly the size of a moon, with you on the inner curve of the ring. Dosn't seem too far off from what a normal person would percieve it to look like since you have the vast distances represented just where it curves up. I don't think using a graph to plot points is going to clearly show how it "should" look for this, because I feel that there are alot more factors not being brought in, such as the scale of a person on the ground of the ring vs. the actual position of the person.

Here's an idea: get a perfect loop/ring, preferably flat representing Halo, take a camera, make it as close as possible the inside ring and get a "POV" pic. Granted, it's not going to be 100% dead on just because of scale, but it'll sure give you a better understanding
Umm guys...!!!!!

Side note to start this off with: Alpha Halo (Inst. 04) is 10,000km in diameter. To roughly approximate Earth's gravity, of 10-ish m/s^2, with centripetal force (acceleration?), the ring would have to rotate at 7070m/s (7.07km/s). Holy Seven Reference, Batman.

Anyway, the thing about scifi is, you have to take it with a pretty big grain of salt. There are bound to be mathematical or scientific errors, and that's the beauty of it. It's fiction. It ALLOWS for errors, because it's not the real world. I mean, come on, we're arguing about the line of sight of someone standing on a point on a 10,000-km-wide ringworld, whose sole purpose is to annihilate all life within 25,000 light years of its position, in a fictional future, 550 years from now, where man is at war with a conglomerate of alien species, bound by a strange religion, and has long since been using faster-than-light travel to reach (lol) new planets and solar systems to colonize. It's pointless, because the whole thing is a string of errors, at the very least, in its anachronisms. (Please, 2550, we have FTL, but still, we use cumbersome explosive weapons?)

Dont forget the orientation of the Halo vs. the planet's axis. There is no way that you happen to line up perfectly so that the ring is directly above you (at ground level)

If you're standing on the ring, the ring is always directly above you. Wouldn't be a ring otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back