What Would Happen..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthraxis

Jr Member
Hmm, let's say you've glassed and resined whichever piece you were working on, applied bondo, had it smoothed and got it to the level you want it at, is it possible/would there be any point in applying a layer or two of resin over that for extra strength?

All strength should be applied before the Bondo. Once you feel that you are satisfied with the strength of your helmet, only then can you proceed with Bondo. I wouldn't suggest using Bondo in between resin layers. Bondo is there to smooth out the helmet, not to give it extra strength.

I know what it's for, I'm not new at this, but bondo when hardened is brittle, so would putting an extra layer of resin overtop make it a bit stronger?

Arthraxis said:
I know what it's for, I'm not new at this, but bondo when hardened is brittle, so would putting an extra layer of resin overtop make it a bit stronger?

I do not know if resin on top of Bondo will make it stronger, Nor do I know if the bondo will just dissolve in front of you. Experiment by putting bondo on cardboard, let it dry and apply resin on the bondo and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea, i found it works great, it makes the bondo a bit more smooth, you just have to be careful, otherwise you may get drips on your piece that would show up later after it was painted

Resin over Bondo does work, and it makes everythign smooth and harder to break (in my experience). Teh only down side to it is the drips and the shineyness after it cures. But all that can be fixed easily anyway :rolleyes

Actually, resin will not add "strengh". It's the mix Resin-Fiberglass that gives strengh.

It could seal the bondo tho.

I guess thats what it did to my Bondo piece..... I tried this back in the day when I first started with bondo, and if we all rememebr correctly I went wild with teh stuff :lol: The pieces that did get a coat of resin over the bondo didnt break as easily as the plain bondo but thats most likely because of all the cracks and pockets or air or whatever in the bondo....

Don't think I'd bother with resin over bondo. Bondo has hardener (resin). If anything, a spray can of "sealer" but even that isn't worth the effort. Primer and paint with maybe a clearcoat on top.

It might work but is it really worth it? Will it add strength? I've done body work as well and it just seems like a waste to me. I could be mistaken but don't see the benefit.

lol iv been doing this forever, wen i run out of spot putty I'll mix some resin and pure it in. but ya u can do it if u want too.

I think I'll pass then, I'll end up using the parts I make to create molds, and then cast pieces out of poly-u, we'll see, but thanks for the quick replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back