WHS Red vs. Blue build (Very Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to bug you again, but in regards to the Sliced M6G magnum. Did you just cut the pieces out of Cardstock, or did you use cardboard or something? also, do you know what thickness the model is spaced to?

Sorry to bug you again, but in regards to the Sliced M6G magnum. Did you just cut the pieces out of Cardstock, or did you use cardboard or something? also, do you know what thickness the model is spaced to?

No prob man, I'll always answer if I can.

I used standard matt board. It can be found at just about any art supply store. It is the same material used in framing pictures. I am pretty sure the material is 1\16 in. Carpathia designed the model specifically meant for 1\16in matt board.

havent seen any new pic :| me want some

We just had our first meeting this past week. Had to do some instruction on how to use the foam and the guys still need to get their supplies. It will probably be a few days before any real progress pics get posted. I decided that the best way to stay on schedule will be to mold my MKVI helmet. With that said we are looking at roughly $400-$500 total in order to cast all the helmets. So that will take a while to raise. Until we can put together those funds, we will be focused on the suits. I'll post as often as I can but don't expect pics as often as this summer.

With that said, several forum members have asked about how they can help the group. If you are seriously interested in donating, time, materials, or funds, please PM me. I can discuss details with anyone interested on a one-on-one basis.

To all those who have offered to help us I send you my utmost thanks and respect. And to those who have already helped so much through advice, 3d files, unfolding, and pure inspiration, I thank you whole heartedly and hope I can do something to repay you.

-Cagle

So is it just me, Or does sarges helmet look a tad different shade of red than the rest of your armor?

in this picture

Sarge-002.jpg

Yes your seeing things correctly. There is a different metallic paint on the undercoat of the helmet which allowed the black-wash to soak in more. The result is a slightly more dull red. It isn't as noticeable in person, but adjusting the contrast caused it to show up more in this image.

But thank you for pointing that out. :) lol

Lol its cause sage never takes his helmet off lol. JK JK the armor does look good. Hey Starvin, how ya been man, i see your getting lots done while i been away. Congrats on infantry bro, u deserve it for sure. Sorry have not been around much lol LIFE stuff. But oh well im glad your stuff is coming along :) keep up the good work

Lol its cause sage never takes his helmet off lol. JK JK the armor does look good. Hey Starvin, how ya been man, i see your getting lots done while i been away. Congrats on infantry bro, u deserve it for sure. Sorry have not been around much lol LIFE stuff. But oh well im glad your stuff is coming along :) keep up the good work

Yes, I would hate to get wiff of what the inside of that helmet would smell like....

I'm good man, and thanks for the congrats. No worries about being AWOL. Life has a way of getting in the way of hobbies.

Our group will be starting work again today so I may have a few small updates later tonight.

i so wish i was in your art class. my art teacher cant provide any support since this is the first time she has seen pep ever

Awesome. Im too old to wish I was your student since none of this existed when I went through high school but your kids are VERY lucky. Posts like yours and other greats are very helpful to us who are just getting started. Thank you.

i so wish i was in your art class. my art teacher cant provide any support since this is the first time she has seen pep ever

Awesome. Im too old to wish I was your student since none of this existed when I went through high school but your kids are VERY lucky. Posts like yours and other greats are very helpful to us who are just getting started. Thank you.

Thanks guys, I'm glad that this project has hit a nerve with the community. It is a struggle everyday for teachers to find new and creative ways to keep kids excited about what we teach. I have been blessed to teach a subject that is rooted in creativity and self expression. I have the utmost respect for core subject teachers who take very structured subjects and find new and exciting ways to show their students just how fun it really can be to learn. To all those who are still in school, I really want you to give your teachers a little slack, they work harder than you will ever know every single day. They may not always get you interested but it doesn't mean they don't genuinely care. And to all those who have already left school, I want to thank you on behalf of those who's classrooms you graced. Thank you for taking even just a little piece of what you learned and making a life for yourself. You may have driven your teachers nuts at some point, but if you learned even a little while you were with them then it was worth every minute.

Okay, so now that I'm off the soapbox, here is just a small update. It is slow moving at them moment because we are still working out schedules and there is a lot of learning right now. I'll have pictures of one of my guys working on his bicep and the progress on Caboose's MKV helmet, tomorrow I hope. (had a few camera issues) Angling the foam has proven the most difficult part in the learning process, but thankfully, my dremel multitool is a workhorse. I just cannot speak highly enough of these tools.

Well, thanks for following and good luck to all the builders out there. Lets keep the community strong and growing.

I owe 75% (1-2 Hr's a day for 4 Yr's. Basic-Adv. 3)of my art skills to my High school art teacher and the rest from books and/or doing it. Practice, Practice, Practice. So yes Teachers like you really do make a difference, and feel free to pull out that soap box any time. :cool

I owe 75% (1-2 Hr's a day for 4 Yr's. Basic-Adv. 3)of my art skills to my High school art teacher and the rest from books and/or doing it. Practice, Practice, Practice. So yes Teachers like you really do make a difference, and feel free to pull out that soap box any time. :cool

Thanks Thorn.

Got a few small updates for everyone.

Donut started on his bicep this week. Look by his arm and you'll see the current status. Not a lot yet but he is still learning and settling in real well so far.
DSC_0016.jpg

Caboose has gotten a good bit of work done on the pep stage of the MKV helmet. This is a good starter build. Just the right amount of detail and a fairly simple build. This should turn out real well.
CIMG0366.jpg

CIMG0367.jpg

Personally I've had to rebuild my boots. They just were not working like I wanted so I've started scratch building them with EVA foam.

I started by removing the old leather from a pair of worn out boots. The remaining sole makes for a solid base that is already the perfect shoe size. I'll use gorilla glue to attach the foam directly to the sole.
CIMG0369.jpg

Next I started to scratch build the rear section. I'm taking time to sketch up each piece as I go so I can simply flip each one for the opposite foot. I also decided to use the textured side for the lowest portion to give it a little extra detail and it just makes sense that the bottom of the boots would be built differently to stand up to wear. I like the overall look and I think once I paint it up it will look even better.
CIMG0368.jpg

This is just a little taste of what it will look like once I glue it on.
CIMG0370.jpg

Got the first rear section done. I'll work on the next section tomorrow.
CIMG0374.jpg

CIMG0373.jpg

I want to finish both shoes by Friday. We have "Homecoming Week" this week and Friday is "Celebrity" day. I can't pass up the chance to roam the halls in the suit. Here's hoping I make the deadline.

Looking good on all 3 projects. The Boot is looking really different, I can't wait to see how that turns out.
It makes me sooooo happy that the reach boots went together so fast and easy.

Well Good luck on you're time line/deadline and post lots of pic's.

Looks great, I like the boot idea, I've been thinking about doing my MKVI boots over in foam, please keep us posted on your progress, I may borrow some ideas on how you build yours

Also just some quick advice on the MKV A helmet, I suggest that you add those vents to the front of the helmet before you harden it, I just borrowed the vent from one of the previous MKV A files that are running around, use it for a template as it will not line up perfectly, and then he can either use the pieces that go in each vent or leave them out and use them for air flow, otherwise he's doing great so far

Looking good on all 3 projects. The Boot is looking really different, I can't wait to see how that turns out.
It makes me sooooo happy that the reach boots went together so fast and easy.

Well Good luck on you're time line/deadline and post lots of pic's.

Thanks, the deadline is not looking good. I didn't get much time at all today to work on the boots and I can't afford to pull an all-nighter because of work. But I'm still pushing along.

Looks great, I like the boot idea, I've been thinking about doing my MKVI boots over in foam, please keep us posted on your progress, I may borrow some ideas on how you build yours

Also just some quick advice on the MKV A helmet, I suggest that you add those vents to the front of the helmet before you harden it, I just borrowed the vent from one of the previous MKV A files that are running around, use it for a template as it will not line up perfectly, and then he can either use the pieces that go in each vent or leave them out and use them for air flow, otherwise he's doing great so far

Thanks man. That is good advice. I'll be sure to pass that along.

I'll try to edit later tonight with a few more pictures of the boot progress. Right now the toe-box is giving me fits. I was hoping I could just heat the foam and shape it around a steeltoe boot tip to give the shape, but it is just to extreme a shaping so the foam doesn't hold the shape. Now I'm working on where exactly I need to place cuts so I can help the shape along. Its taking longer than I hoped, but I think I'm going in the right direction.

Okay so here is the boot progress.

I started attaching things to the soles and completing the rear section and the plate running across the lace area.
CIMG0375.jpg

CIMG0376.jpg

Once that was done it was on the toe-box. As I said earlier it gave me some problems but once I got a solid plan it come together really well. I tied those two pieces together and took a few creative liberties on the center section. Once I got the boot completed I realized the foam wasn't securing to the sole because my glue was taking too long to set up and my clamps just wouldn't stay in place. One brainstorm and several screws later and I have one completed boot. I'm pretty happy with the end result even if it isn't completely game accurate.
CIMG0387.jpg

CIMG0386.jpg

CIMG0385.jpg

Feel free to share your thoughts. Back to work tomorrow and hopefully I'll get some more progress out the team.

Edit: Yes there are some holes on either side in the pictures. They are filled now, just didn't get around to taking another picture.

omg! wow, this is looking fantastic... i love the foam work on the boot. who cares if they aren't game accurate, they still look incredible. keep up the good work, can't wait to see more...

Wow Starvinartist80, that is one great looking boot. Very nicely done, details are sweet. Just a little clean up sanding and they will be some of the best in foam that I've seen yet. Of course knowing you, they probably have a ways to go yet. It's the perfectionist in you. :) (that is a compliment in the highest regards)

Now the question is how well do they fit? and/or what concept are you using to secure them in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back