Wii U: Nintendos New Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devious

Unveiled today at E3 Nintendo's new console has an optional new controller that can either compliment or replace the TV screen. Players can choose if they want to play the game on both screens, or on the portable controllers screen. This new controller will compliment the nunchucks. It also has a video camera, and enables video calling.

xlarge_new_nintendo_controller_01.jpg

medium_medium_new_nintendo_console_detail_01.jpg

Comes out 2012.

So far the graphics on the machine look impressive. EA has announced that it will publish for the Wii U, with games like battlefield 3. Ubisoft will also be publishing new games for the console.

This is Nintendo's response to hardcore gamers.

What do you think?

hardcore gamers
I'm sorry, we must be thinking of two completely different companies.

That said, I'm hoping we get some good exclusives out of this (F-Zero, PLEASE), but otherwise the controller just looks like the next in-style gimmick for Sony and Microsoft to dance along to. And that's still better than Microsoft's horrible conference this year. Can't say it's better than the PS Vita, though.

360 rulez ... nintendo was cool when i was a child ... but now it´s for girls and kids ... only reason to think about nintendo is "The legend of Zelda"

360 rulez ... nintendo was cool when i was a child ... but now it´s for girls and kids ... only reason to think about nintendo is "The legend of Zelda"

Yes, let's implicitly bash a console without even knowing the game line-up. Definitely no fanboyism anywhere in site.

only good game from Nintendo is metroid.

No F-Zero or Pikmin love? I am disappointed. Though, I admit, I do love Metroid Prime.

Also, I'm hearing that it's got a better GPU than the PS3, but slightly worse processor, so I'm hoping it plays in full 1080p unlike the 360. Maybe then my dream of F-Zero HD will come true.

More than likely it will just play current Wii games, Gamecube games, or they will make the some old game NES,SNES, or whatever Nintendo game for this console. You have to figure 360 got Kinect, meaning no controller, while the Wii still has two controllers basically that attach to each other so it's a mess. To me anything Nintendo makes besides the NES and SNES is good for toilet paper. Even the Wii's avatars they have for people suck.

More than likely it will just play current Wii games, Gamecube games, or they will make the some old game NES,SNES, or whatever Nintendo game for this console. You have to figure 360 got Kinect, meaning no controller, while the Wii still has two controllers basically that attach to each other so it's a mess. To me anything Nintendo makes besides the NES and SNES is good for toilet paper. Even the Wii's avatars they have for people suck.

I would agree, except the Kinect is complete casual bait and not much else. The Wii has some nice first-party games amidst a sea of God-awful third-party releases, too, but I agree that their controllers are many different flavors of suck and actual controllers or no controllers are the better options. As long as I got Metroid Prime, a decent Mario platformer, Super Smash Bros., and Kirby (and possibly F-Zero, because I am in love with that series), I'd be completely okay with the Wii U.

Also, the Wii created the avatar-on-home-consoles idea, so logically it'd be less expanded upon because they didn't have to one-up themselves. Though judging a future console by it's current generation equivalent isn't that great of an idea anyways.

almost like nintendo admitting that the wii has lost its appeal already. Of course having to hold that godzilla sized controller will help keep kids fit and active without the risk of wii elbow.

Also, the Wii created the avatar-on-home-consoles idea, so logically it'd be less expanded upon because they didn't have to one-up themselves. Though judging a future console by it's current generation equivalent isn't that great of an idea anyways.

Yeah I'm fine with the old school games on the Wii not really anything else about the Wii is impressive to me. But I have to disagree with you on the Avatar thing between XBOX360 and Wii I'm pretty sure the 360 had the Avatars first.

The titles for this new console will be more impressive then those for the first Wii. EA and Ubisoft are both porting their new top releases (assassin's creed, Battlefield 3, Ghost recon future soldier, etc) for this system. You have to give Nintendo credit for trying to reach out to the more serious market.

Now I don't plan on getting the new system, I just find its strategy interesting and creative.

I just watched the nintendo Conference on E3 and this is basically all i heard:
Here's the remake of Mario, Mario Kart, and of course Zelda.
Here's our Ipad with buttons on it that doubles as a console that has graphics that finally catch up to the 360/ps3
Nintendo is basically the Apple of the console world.
Makes cool new tech innovations but serves as a gimmicky thing to draw in people that go "ooooh shiney" no new games just remaking the exact same ones.
Yes xbox did something similar with Halo 4 and the eventual 5 and 6 (he said "trilogy" which is so the wrong word when you already made a trilogy before it) but Halo is still relatively new compared to the DECADES of mario and zelda remakes.
Unfortunately Xbox and Sony PS are so googly eyed over the Nintendo innovations that grab money they basically try to copy and "innovate" their own clone. Therefore we don't see any focus being pumped into incredibly new franchises that would be one of the new faces of the console, just the remakes or re imagining of the already established franchisees that we've already seen.
Yes i love Halo still but unless the new game completely shows an "evolution" of its combat I won't be impressed. Reach for me was "oh cool armor abilities" then i realized its the same as Halo 3 and i haven't played it after the "fun factor" wore off. So I guess I need to be more specific here when i say i love halo. I love the Halo universe but the games need to undergo a major change to make me love and play them endlessly.

I was at E3 and personally saw the console in action. I gotta say in my personal opinion it's just another stupid motion control gimmick meant to "immerse" the player and grab the attention of casual or non gamers to their system. I shot a short video of it and it's on my Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2193509517552

If you can't see it, basically there's a guy staring at the controller blocking arrows from a pirate so he's spinning and looking up and down and jumps back and forth between starting at the tv and his controller. Also saw a lot "controller shaking" meant for some kind of motion control command. Typical Wii-mote stuff. Overall, not impressed and most likely will not be buying it.

I'm waiting for it to happen, XBOX is the only system that does not have a handheld console, Paystation has the PSP, and Nintendo has thier stuff but nothing yet for XBOX, but if they did make something it would probably be like the PSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back