Will Bungie Ever Officially Say What Happens To Masterchief At The End Of 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, thats good to know..I had never seen anywhere about Bungie claiming it wasn't cannon. I only recently started the novels..finished contact harvest and at the tail end of "fall of reach."

As for the novels tieing into the games, I'm starting to wonder if someone will be able to catagorize all the MJOLNIR armor varients in accordance to the timeline. Like how in Fall of reach, Halsey gives them their first armor, but then later in CASTLE, she gives them the newer armor w/ shield and AI upgrades. I guess what I'm saying is, I hope they can organize it all, cause I'm getting all the varients mixed up half the time..gonna check out halopedia..

I'm trailing off from the point of the thread. I guess I'm more upset that they decided to leave off on a cliffhanger instead of just letting it end at him goin into cryo, full well knowing that they weren't gonna finish. IMHO, I feel that the regular ending should have been the final, since I think it leaves much more of an emotional impact, rather then "omg, look, he's falling into some planet! I woner what will- oh wait, I guess we'll never know!"

Here's my say on the matter. I'm in Pre-AP English, and we have read books that have what we call a cliffhanger ending. They end "openly," allowing everyone to have their own opinion on the future of the character(s). Bungie did that same thing for Halo -- left you (the fans) to decide Master Chief's and Cortana's fate.

Arcanine said:
Bungie already confirmed that Marathon has nothing at all to do with Halo.

That doesn't actually mean jack-$#!+. While Bungie may have confirmed that they are of two separate universes, that doesn't mean one can't pick up Marathon and jury-rig it onto Halo 3's ending.

Honestly, look at the Marathon franchise as a whole, as well as all of it's plot points, twists, people, enemies, etc. You really can't say that there are a large number of similarities between Marathon and Halo.

Besides, Bungie confirmed that Marathon and Halo are separate universes. Now, what if, say, the Slip-Space rupture that Forward Unto Dawn went through didn't send the Chief's portion into a separate universe? Say, maybe, the Marathon universe?

While the possibility is slim, I wouldn't put it past Bungie to "unintentionally" do that. Nor would I be surprised that the end of Halo 3 really isn't the beginning of Marathon. But one way or another, OP asked what happened to the Chief. Seeing as none of us have true answers, what makes mine the wrong-est? Just because Bungie says something doesn't mean they won't redact it in 5 years. Remember how they announced that Halo 3 was their final game? I do. And now look, H3:ODST is out and Halo Reach is on the way.

I'll honestly give 50/50 odds that Bungie redacts their "No more Halo and no more MC" statement w/i the next 10 years and develops a new game that includes the MC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan137 said:
I'll honestly give 50/50 odds that Bungie redacts their "No more Halo and no more MC" statement w/i the next 10 years and develops a new game that includes the MC.

Not to start up an arguement or anything, but for that to happen, Bungie would have to own Halo, and Halo is the sole property of Microsoft. That being said, if Bungie did anything involving Halo after Microsoft tells them not to, Bungie will be sued for copyright infringement and anything else Microsoft can think of. The only other way that could happen is for Microsoft to have Bungie make another Halo...

Chevysrule said:
Not to start up an arguement or anything, but for that to happen, Bungie would have to own Halo, and Halo is the sole property of Microsoft. That being said, if Bungie did anything involving Halo after Microsoft tells them not to, Bungie will be sued for copyright infringement and anything else Microsoft can think of. The only other way that could happen is for Microsoft to have Bungie make another Halo...

Ah, notsomuch. Halo is mostly owned by MS, but Bungie retains some rights under their original copyright. Even still, I don't see MS telling Bungie NOT to make them more free money. Bungie has made much better money for them through Halo than any other Xbox title, or any of the various Halo media. (Wars kinda flopped, all-in-all. Halo CE still sells, nearly 10 years later)

SchizophrenicMC said:
Ah, notsomuch. Halo is mostly owned by MS, but Bungie retains some rights under their original copyright. Even still, I don't see MS telling Bungie NOT to make them more free money. Bungie has made much better money for them through Halo than any other Xbox title, or any of the various Halo media. (Wars kinda flopped, all-in-all. Halo CE still sells, nearly 10 years later)

I stand corrected then. But didn't Bungie mention something about a secret non-Halo project somewhere in one of their weekly updates?

George C. Scott, in "Patton", is asked how he'd like to die (or something to that effect) He replies that a soldier wants to go out "with the last bullet, of the last battle, of the last war". I think MC's fate is appropriate and how he'd like it. He was born, bred, and trained to do one thing, he's not going to be happy as a drill instructor training snot nosed cadets or owning a bar just outside the gate of the base. He wants to be in the crap, elbow deep, all the time. So he saves the world and rests till "he's needed". That may be never, and in my opinion that's cool. He may drift into a sun and go out Viking style. I think the "Chief" is content.

Chevysrule said:
I stand corrected then. But didn't Bungie mention something about a secret non-Halo project somewhere in one of their weekly updates?

What's that to do with anything?

I mean it just means it's there next new project to be.

Mr Toad said:
Goerge C. Scott, in "Patton", is asked how he'd like to die (or something to that effect) He replies that a soldier wants to go out "with the last bullet, of the last battle, of the last war". I think MC's fate is appropriate and how he'd like it. He was born, bred, and trained to do one thing, he's not going to be happy as a drill instructor training snot nosed cadets or owning a bar just outside the gate of the base. He wants to be in the crap, elbow deep, all the time. So he saves the world and rests till "he's needed". That may be never, and in my opinion that's cool. He may drift into a sun and go out Viking style. I think the "Chief" is content.

Good way of putting it. After some research, I'm starting to think that the "legendary" planet you see him drifting towards is a Forerunner planet. What he could possibly happen with him there, I have no clue.

Also, I retract my statement earlier in regards to the Halo "Believe" short vid, when I said that the Chief dosn't come back to earth (about 50 years after the Battle of Earth) Cause although the ad campaign was rated one of the best of the decade, the people putting it out were not told exactly what the Halo 3 story was gonna be about, so they sorta "winged" it. Therefore, because of that, Bungie made a statement (aside from the obvious) that the story for the Believe ad's are Non-cannon. However, there's been a "counter" to this, where that it's beeen speculated that in order to bring it into the actual Halo storyline, that in the halo universe, ONI used that story as a cover up...but logically speaking, it dosnt' make much sense, other then to bolster the "heroism" of MasterChief to the rest of humanity.

I would much rather have a bit of mystery about Chief's remaining days than have some type of "filler story" just to satisfy curiosity. If they come up with a great story, then I'm all for it... otherwise, I'm satisfied exploring other areas of the Halo "universe" via things like ODST, Reach, etc

We all need Heroes , don't we? Bungie gave us one. Back in the day the village storytellers told of great adventures around a campfire. Videogames, Movies, & books are our modern day "storytellers". They strive to inspire and educate us (or entertain us at the very least)

The Stig said:
If Bungie said it, It's true.

Until they ret-con it later.

Saw the title and immediately thought of this, enjoy

http://halo3ending.ytmnd.com/

You have got to be kidding me? He would never do something like that. In a good way.

We all need Heroes , don't we? Bungie gave us one. Back in the day the village storytellers told of great adventures around a campfire. Videogames, Movies, & books are our modern day "storytellers". They strive to inspire and educate us (or entertain us at the very least)

I absolutely agree with you, in a good way.

If they ever decide to bring back the Chief, I hope he gets to see an alliance between the Elites and humans against a new threat.

And Yes, I say this all IN A GOOD WAY!

-Pony

One slightly obvious plot that has been strangely missing from the games and books is what happened to the other Spartans, in particular the Spartans that escaped Onyx. The planet in question is probably a Forerunner world, most likely a shield world. Onyx had a portal at it's core but it was destroyed, maybe this planet has a similar one. Time to go save the Spartans from an ancient Forerunner enemy (no one has that many battleships ready prior to the flood without enemies). The flood were starved by killing off all of the sentient beings in the galaxy, correct. So how do we have flood running rampant now? How were they locked up in the library in Halo 1 (might be forgetting something important). This could be some world based off that after all the grave mind is dead but the flood are still extremely dangerous. We have a long time available just maybe the flood make a comeback and over run Earth and the Elite home world forcing them on the run and by chance hundreds of years later stumble upon the Chief and the now dead Cortana.

I wouldn't rule out a sequel to the Halo trilogy since it will be headed by M$ (think next hardware cycle bring back the chief = instant console sales even if the game is lame). All we can hope for in a sequel is for the chief to actually die. Self sacrifice while saving the universe is the only way to top his previous achievements.

Well, the Forerunner wanted to do research on weakened Flood samples when they reemerged after the Halo firing. Thus, they put many in Cold Storage (Hence the map). On Alpha Halo, the Covenant accidentally released the cryogenically frozen Flood. On Delta Halo, they were already running wild in the Quarantine Zone.

The Shield Worlds were so that the Forerunner could set a delay countdown, jump into Slipspace in their Dyson Spheres (Shield Worlds contain portals to Micro Dyson Spheres in Slipspace), and be out of the range of the Halo Array. I mean, you can't fire that into subspace (yet). Unfortunately, they never prepared DNA samples to bring their species back and ended up being unable to set a delay, since the Flood were well onto running over them.

Also, their understanding of Slipspace was INCREDIBLY greater than human understanding, circa 2550, and even Doctor Halsey can't figure a way out. So, how could the Chief figure a way IN, especially considering Cortana's dead?

And he can't die to save the universe. Then, he'd just be Goku.

ACDCrockr209 said:
If they ever decide to bring back the Chief, I hope he gets to see an alliance between the Elites and humans against a new threat.

I would absolutely love to see this. Elites and humans fighting side by side, and the initailly awkward friendships forged under fire between our race and thiers. Like the relationship between Chief and The Arbiter, but on a cultural scale.

Back on topic, I could see the Chief returing on the Xbox 720, but I think that would be a bit to soon to bring him back. Let him sit for another 3-5 years, then bring him back. The anticipation of MC's return after almost 10 years would really make the game sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back