Will this be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk8er4life

Hey guys. I am starting a pep suti. When i have a folded product can i just add a few layers or resin? Or do i have do do the bondo and fiberglass?

if you dont bondo it will still be all pepakura pointy like, bondo rounds things, and fiberglass makes it harder than just resin, it basically reinforces it

Ok i will do a light bondo. Thanks. can i do i layer of resin on top of fiberglass on the inside? and do i bondo it then sand the bondo then add a last coat of resin? Is my order right?

Apply 1 coat of resin and let cure

Finerglass the inside with fiberglass clotht

Bondo the piece

Sand it

Appyle more resin and let cure

Paint as needed.

Is that correct?

iamyourcousin228 said:

Apply another coat of resin and let cure

Bondo the piece

Sand it

Paint as needed.
try that

Last edited by a moderator:
iamyourcousin228 said:
Ok i will do a light bondo. Thanks. can i do i layer of resin on top of fiberglass on the inside? and do i bondo it then sand the bondo then add a last coat of resin? Is my order right?

Bondo the piece

Sand it

Appyle more resin and let cure

Paint as needed.

Is that correct?

I would personaly apply 2 coats of resin, and 2 layers of fiberglass. This will make it much stronger.
I think you are supposed to bondo it, then sand and detail, then primer and paint.
DONT FORGET TO DETAIL! Many people don't add detail, and it ends up looking like crap, or not all that it could be.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could use resin over the Bondo as a cheap smooth layer, but it is NOT recommended, as it is hard to sand and is not necessary if you do some sanding on the Bondo. It would only be aesthetic if anything. It would do nothing for the strength of the armor either.

What I did/am doing with my helmet is :

2 layers of resin on the outside

1 layer on the inside

Fiberglass the inside with an additional layer of resin on the inside

Do a basic sanding all around

Bondo small parts at a time, dabbing on more bondo than needed to 'chisel' away for details

Sand with fine sandpaper

Metal glaze parts that need to be smoothed out further

Paint

Add LEDs, visor, cooling system, etc.

And that's pretty much what I plan to do. It also depends what helmet you're doing, if it's Flying Squirrel's or Slyfo's, you might not need to add a lot of bondo for anything other than smoothing things out. You might even be able to go straight to metal glaze or fiberglass jelly (if you're doing that sort of thing.)

Anyway, hope this helps!

Dark Rogue, I took a look at your helmet WIP and (no offense meant at all) but what you did with the bondo...is not what you want to do. Check out my Q+A topic in Creation>Pepakura for my REALLY LONG bondo application explanation. You'll see it b/c it's a REALLY LONG post. (maby on 2nd page IDK). Dabbing Bondo is sorta counter productive to smoothing the helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back