WIP -Halo for my 3 sons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Immigman

First let me thank all of the members of this forum. I've learned a lot here. I am currently making Halo Armor for my 3 boys. I thought i'd share how far I've come. As you can see below I've definitely made a few short cuts, such as the helmet, but I feel the armor is coming along nicely.
IMAGE_1000018974.JPG

IMAGE_1000018975.JPG

lookin good. but i dont see any short cuts on the helm.
any way. he looks sorta cute in that.
on a side note, it looks like duct tape holding the front and back together. am i right or is that just my mind goin to wack.

Hell yeah props man thats awesome. Its hard to make armor for kids they grow so fast. When my son gets old enough I want to get him started building a set along side me. Good work man keep it up

I'm holding the chest and backpack together with industrial strength Velcro. I used black styrene plastic to create slots on the backpack. I then slide in the chest piece and secure the Velcro. It might look like duct tape because half of the styrene is painted silver to match the stripe on the Helm. The left stripe has USNC-5 stenciled on it. The 5 relates to his age. All 3 boys will have their age stenciled somewhere on the suits (8, 5, & 4).

This may freak out the purists but it is a standard pep build/fiberglass with ease replacing game accuracy. Hence the Halo 3 helmet with the Combat Evolved chest and back. With the exception on the codpiece, i'll pretty much stick to the Mark V build. Here are some pics of how it began.

IMAGE_1000007328.JPG

IMAGE_1000007329.JPG

I used the toothpaste method to add the silver and lighter red battle damage. Here are some pics of the unadulterated clean back pack v. the roughed up final version.

IMAGE_1000012912.JPG

IMAGE_1000018976.JPG

BTW, I love the roughed up version. In person it looks pretty real. Kudos to the poster who suggested using a lighter shade of red to the scraped silver parts, it makes a huge difference.

Hell yeah props man thats awesome. Its hard to make armor for kids they grow so fast.

I soooo agree with that. I'm compensating for the growth by making it a bit larger than his frame. You can sort of see this in the side picture. Hopefully this should accommodate any growth spurt by Halloween. I figure I can tighten it up as we get closer to Halloween with straps, with any excess slack taken up by a bodysuit. I've learned from prior Halloweens that it gets really cold in October, so I expect them to be wearing some pretty thick layers.

Here is the pre-glazed, Fiberglassed, primed, and bondoed shoulder bell. I finished this last night. Right next to it you can see the bondoed forearm piece.

IMAGE_1000020002.JPG

Amazing work. I've finished 2 suits last year and in the process of finishing 2 more suits this year. I can tell you that it is hard work. With work and family, working on armors is the last thing in your mind. If you are working on 3 suits, you need a lot of luck.

The only sad thing about the suits is once they wear them this year, they will grow out of them next year. Sometimes the time and effort you put in seem to go to waste.

Going forward, I may switch entirely to foam. I've seen some of the work that was done and quite impressed by them.

lookin good. but i dont see any short cuts on the helm.
any way. he looks sorta cute in that.
on a side note, it looks like duct tape holding the front and back together. am i right or is that just my mind goin to wack.

The helmet is a modified Halo 3 Legendary Edition helmet. It's a perfect size for a child.

This build is looking really good. I can't wait to see the other two.

The helmet is a modified Halo 3 Legendary Edition helmet. It's a perfect size for a child.

That's exactly right. Good eye. You can buy them pretty cheaply from eBay and they fit my 5 & 4 year-old perfectly.

As for them growing out of the armor, I don't mind. It's great fun creating the costumes. I started doing this about 3 years ago with kids stormtrooper armor.

IMAGE_1000000028.JPG

Last year it was Batman.

IMAGE_1000000074.JPG

I love doing it and so long as they love wearing the outfits on Halloween, I'll keep making them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back