Wiring LED TO helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
tbail1989 said:
Also i am trying to hook up a small fan in my helmet i already purchased it and when i did a test hookup the battery gets so hot it feels like its gonna melt. How do i solve this problem.

Ah hah! What's happening is the Fan requires a large amount of current, Amps, to keep it running. If the current speed of the fan is alright with you, then all you need to do is add another battery or two and connect them in parallel with your current battery.

Simple solution:

Get 1-2 more batteries, and wire them up to where all of the positive sides of the batteries are connected, and all of the negative sides are connected.

This will spin the fan at the same speed (same voltage), but the extra batteries will supply the extra current that it wants.

If you have any questions on this, PLEASE feel free to PM/Email me; I'm good with electronics, and especially so with the simple wiring that people do for their armor.

Good luck!

~Epyon

Last edited by a moderator:
Werd Nal said:
obviously all helmets need a fan so can someone tut how to put a fan on the same switch as 4 LEDS?????
Do you really want to turn on your headlights every time you turn on the air conditioning?
(Pardon the metaphor)
Wouldn't it be best to have a seperate switch?

Deathwasp said:
Do you really want to turn on your headlights every time you turn on the air conditioning?
(Pardon the metaphor)
Wouldn't it be best to have a seperate switch?

you are correct sir a seperate switch for both is probably best. Also do i have to put a resistor on the fan hookup like i have to for the led's

tbail1989 said:
you are correct sir a seperate switch for both is probably best. Also do i have to put a resistor on the fan hookup like i have to for the led's

not usually...electric motors like that usually have enough internal resistance to where you dont have to worry....

That, and it would just make it spin slower, so there's no need if you're comfortable with the amount of air its moving and the noise it makes.

~Epyon

stanvo said:
somebody should put together a fan tutorial because i know i personally have no clue how to make a fan

Do you mean how to wire one? or ways to mount it inside your helm?

I could do something for the first one....

~Epyon

Epyon said:
Do you mean how to wire one? or ways to mount it inside your helm?

I could do something for the first one....

~Epyon
Yeah i mean putting the stuff together and putting it in the helmet

tbail1989 said:
what type of led's should i use currently i have 5mm white led's 3.6volts.20mA.1100mcd i got them at radio shack. will these be ok they dont say superbright or anything just white led will they be bright enough.

im not really a big smartie on tech but if you ask the guys at radioshack, they'll give you an idea...i just used white leds because the blue ones got messed up and the white ones look more hi tech. lol.
but really, if you need any serious help, asking the guys at radioshack will give you truthful and helpful info.
besides, i went to The Source by Circuit City

Just an idea , but , if you wired a photosensitive resistor to the LED(s) , then , you wouldn't need a switch , as they would go on when the ambient light gets low.

Again , just an idea.

-Joe

Thanks to this thread I've managed to setup the lights in my heltmet.

unfortunatly Maplins gave me 2 blue lights and 2 orange lights... o.0 I only found out after turning them on...

But somehow I mangaed to put 1 orange and 1 blue together, so now when I turn on the lights in my helmet both orange lights are on top each side and the blue ones below them. It looked cool so I just thought Meh and left them in (otherwise i would have to cut them free and give them back)

Hope everyone esle can set up their LEDs Okay :)

Flux paste just helps the bond between the solder and wires , you don't absolutely need it.

I actually don't use it that much when I work on electronics or computers.

Electrical tape would not take the place of flux paste.

-Joe

Also a good idea to make the leds more powerful and luminously without changing the battery or the leds is to connect them parallel to the circuit. Its a bit of mass. Butt with that your leds are going to rock! and also your battery will go longer.So i thing its worthing!

Let me explane you that. (See the attached files below)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back