Wiring LED TO helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
tick said:
I got my soldering iring iron at radio shack for $8

Lol, I am going to encourage you to take note of the date of the posting for the question that you are answering.

You answered a question from 10 months ago, I hope he figured it out by now.

Thats been addressed....

Last edited by a moderator:
Spase, why is your resistor AFTER the LED element?

You're asking for burnt out leds man. You need to drop the voltage before it hits the leds.

Yodajammies said:
Spase, why is your resistor AFTER the LED element?

You're asking for burnt out leds man. You need to drop the voltage before it hits the leds.

Thanks for the Valid question... but location in this circuit is irrelevant.

The resistor location technically doesn't matter at all in this type of circuit, for the diagram I have drawn. The resistor does not NEED to come before the LED in a circuit path from positive to negative. The current is limited regardless of resistor location. However in this diagram it does come before the LEDs , in the circuit path from positive to negative. Moving the location of the resistor to anywhere in this circuit will result in the same outcome.

Here is another version of the same schematic, showing the battery terminals. (DO NOT SOLDIER DIRECTLY TO THE TERMINALS)

2468046133_c2b1c8d7b1.jpg

Ok I have a question. I bought some LEDs, battery holder, LED holders, and a switch. The LEDs are 3.3v and 7000mcd. I am running them off of 4 AAA batterys. My question is do I need a resistor? They guy at radio shack said no and my girlfriends dad said he wouldnt think so. I just need to know before I wire them in.

LEDs have very small resistance so putting them in a circuit without any resistors will burn them out the instant you flick the switch.

@TwitchFMX8811

LEDWiringVerson2.jpg

That circuit diagram you have show should technically not work at all with only 4AA batteries in series (as most battery holders are). You are only supplying 6 Volts. The way you have it wired is (two LEDs wired in series) wired in parallel with (two LEDs wired in series). Therefore at 3.3 volts + 3.3 Volts... you would need 6.6 volts nominally to power the two LEDs in series. You only provide 6 Volts nominally, with 4 AAs in series.

You can either up the Voltage to 9Volts, in which case you'd want one 30 Ohm resistor, or it just wont work (not all 4 LEDs).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Gokussj5okazu

post-3827-1212903848.png

How would this circuit work either... if the LEDs are 3.3 Volt, most likely 20mA desired LEDs, then you'd need at least 34+ Ohm resistor to keep the Amperage down to at or below 20 mA. Resistor of a lower value will cause one LED to burn out, which will cause a chain reaction and all of the LEDs will eventually "cook". That is all assuming you have 20mA rated resistors. If you had 45mA rated LED, then what you have there should work.

ok I think I got this figured out. If I use 2 9v batteries and use spases diagram this should work.

2x - 9v batteries
4x - LEDs 3.3v 25mA
1x - 220 ohm resistor

I used this site to calculate this. Correct me if im wrong.

Just one question. Is there a certain way you need to face the resistors? If so which way.

TwitchFMX8811 said:
ok I think I got this figured out. If I use 2 9v batteries and use spases diagram this should work.

2x - 9v batteries
4x - LEDs 3.3v 25mA
1x - 220 ohm resistor

I used this site to calculate this. Correct me if im wrong.

Just one question. Is there a certain way you need to face the resistors? If so which way.

Doesn't matter which way, resisters are non directional.

I was looking at that site too... and when I punched yours in there... Theoretically it should work as bright as its supposed to... :\... but it doesn't...

Also is there a way to put in 3 different colors of lights instead of 1 white and have it wired some how to blink to beats of like music...

I know you got help but here's a cheap and easy one. Go buy four little keychain flashlights and bondo them in. Make the buttons on the back stand out so you can turn it on and off.

You'll have to make sure they are the same color and are the ones that you can click and will stay on... most you have to hold down urself...

Macattack64 said:
I was looking at that site too... and when I punched yours in there... Theoretically it should work as bright as its supposed to... :\... but it doesn't...
Also is there a way to put in 3 different colors of lights instead of 1 white and have it wired some how to blink to beats of like music...

Who are you referring to?...

If you are talking to me.... and have you wired it up? What are your component specs? Most I can think is you have a dead battery, miss matched components, or the wrong Resistor value.

And yes, blinking LEDs to music is possible, but a fair bit more complicated.

MC Chris said:
Im new to thiese projects of making armour but was curious how do you wire the leds to a switch and battery (basically saying, i have no idea of anything to do with electronics)? im knew to these so please dont get to technical
try going to a local store and but a toy with a switch and LED's just take out the light and switch put it in your helmet and presto.or maybe a book light

Here is the wiring harness I made for my helmet. All of this can be purchased at Radio Shack. Except the the wire I used. Everything worked good last Saturday at AdventureCon. The battery on the fans did gave out on me after about 4 hours.
H162.jpg

Ronin said:
Here is the wiring harness I made for my helmet. All of this can be purchased at Radio Shack. Except the the wire I used. Everything worked good last Saturday at AdventureCon. The battery on the fans did gave out on me after about 4 hours.
H162.jpg

That's pretty good. my only complaint is that the switch is all the way in the back where your back side of your head is. usaully you see Adam and other turn on the switch by the side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back