Writing a scaling application

Would a scaling program be helpful or a hindrance?

• Helpful

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Hindrance

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hickeydog

Scaling application

So with the wrapping up of the semester, and the conclusion of my Intro to CS class, I'm itching to put my mad programing skills (more like weak n00b skills) to work. Anyways, I had a brilliant idea a while back about writing a Java application that would take detailed measurements from a user and return approximate sizes for scaling the armor. The program would be used as a guide for n00bs (and maybe advanced builders). I realize that each person is different, but this program would hopefully be able to get the scaling very close.

This is what I have for the GUI. Opening screen has the use select the type of armor (MK5, MK6, ODST, etc), and then show the user what body measurements need to be taken, and provide slots for entering in those measurements. The user would then hit "submit", and be taken to a new screen which shows each part and the scale hight that should be used. There's a few details that would make the flow easier, but that's the basic, overall plan of things.

With your help, I would write this program to be able to scale every type of Halo armor (MK5, MK6, ODST, Noble 6, Emile, etc), and possibly some of the other types of armor (Ironman, War Hammer). I would need your detailed measurements, and what height you scaled your armor to.

I will be writing this in Java, and make the source code available for modification and the like. I only ask that any modifications be submitted to me before it's made available to the world.

So with that said, what's the interest? Is this something that could help people get their armor scaled correctly? Or would this cause more problems than it's worth?

The idea is brilliant, but it might cause problems among people who don't want to do any work anyway... All the information to scale is available through a tape measure and a reference picture. Compare referance to your body, measure from those points, input numbers into pep. You'll probably get a slew of poeple who somehow can't figure out how to use it, and complain about it. Not to sound discouraging, as I personally think it is an excellent idea, but you might take a lot of useless crap for it. I would help, but I know virtually nothing about programming. I am not exactly an IT guy... but if you choose to do this, I'd love to use it!!!!!!

This is what I have for the GUI. Opening screen has the use select the type of armor (MK5, MK6, ODST, etc), and then show the user what body measurements need to be taken, and provide slots for entering in those measurements. The user would then hit "submit", and be taken to a new screen which shows each part and the scale hight that should be used. There's a few details that would make the flow easier, but that's the basic, overall plan of things.
This reminds me of the scaling tool made my Mr.Oreo123 sometime ago. His program doesn't have a GUI but can be used for any armor set. It's pretty spot on when it comes to scaling but having a GUI will definitely make it much easier to use.

I guess you could do it, but then, most people would never hear about it, never use it, and people would still be asking how to scale. If you wanna do it, by all means, but don't expect it to solve any problems.

if(isWorks())
{
schizo.setPhrase("Win!");
out.print(phrase);
}

:)

This reminds me of the scaling tool made my Mr.Oreo123 sometime ago. His program doesn't have a GUI but can be used for any armor set. It's pretty spot on when it comes to scaling but having a GUI will definitely make it much easier to use.
I also used Mr. Oreo123's scaling program for a guideline for scaling. I use a combination of about 3 measurements (1. Actually measuring top to bottom, 2. Measuring pixels of a standing MC scaled to my size in Paint, and 3. Mr. Oreo's scaling program)

Your idea sounds like it would be very accurate, if you were to pull it off correctly. Good luck, I hope to see a successful (and awesome) product from you!

This does sound interesting. I'm a bit on the heavy side and have scaled my armor for such, if you need a "Plus" Sized spartan. I'm more than willing to give you my measurements.

will you be adding space for bondo undersuits and padding?

Thats my real question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back