Xbox 360 E74 Error, What Is It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enrisan

So my xbox has been working perfectly fine for the 2 years or so that I've had it. Then yesterday I had to call Microsoft support to see if I could get my old account back from my V1 Xbox (since they're shutting it all down April 15th), well they couldn't get my account back because it has been inactive for over 3 years. To make it up they gave me 500 Microsoft points on my main account. So I started playing Halo 3: ODST and noticed all the textures doing weird things, it looked like a comic book effect where there was a bunch of dots popping up on the screen at random places. I thought something was wrong with ODST so I switched to Crackdown, the screen had a bunch of thin vertical lines all over so I decided to stop playing.

Later I turned my xbox on to try out a DVD and I get an E74 error on the screen and a flashing red light on the lower right quadrant only. What is this error and is there any way to fix it? I don't want to send this to Microsoft to have them take months and miss the Reach beta. Kinda strange that I never had a problem with it, then an hour later after I call Microsoft support it all of a sudden dies on me...hmmm, makes you wonder...

Thanks,

-Enrisan

Unless you dont want to pay to have it shipped, MICROSOFT WILL FIX IT IF YOU SEND IT IN!!! And if you want to do this yourself, look at this It's not nececarilly(cant spell) good for your xbox, but you will be able to play :)

ive never had the weird video problems like you but i have had the E74 error a few times, i got it again playing bioshock 2. ive had it on ODST also and modern warfare a few times

and its always on a new disk no scratches. but I just turn off my xbox a few minutes and turn it back on and it usually doesnt come back.

but a E74 can sometimes mean a hardware failure. so your video problems and the E74 error come mean theres a problem with your xbox's video hardware.

I would just try restarting the xbox and if that doesnt fix it the good news is your warrenty will cover the repairs.

heres a site with more info too if you need http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941377/

hope that helps :)

I found this here

E74: I/O Hardware Error - HSIO related, could be crc error, or many things: There is high chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip near the AV cable connection) it can also be caused by a faulty AV cable so check that first. Microsoft covers this error under their 3-year warranty, this is availble to anyone who hasn't modified their console. contact MS to get a free replacement console before attempting to fix this yourself. Failing that this error In some cases it is a problem with the GPU and may be repairable by doing the x-clamp replacement (see error 0102)

Haven't had it myself so that's about all I know, I think I've seen a few people on here with it though.

Thanks guys, I've read it could be several different things causing the error. The first thing I'm going to try is using a different AV cable, I know for sure mine is messed up. I have to tweak it sometimes in order to get the video to show up, hopefully that's the problem there. If not, then I'm going to call Microsoft and see if the repair will be free, if I end up having to pay $100 for a repair I'll just buy a new console.

well i had the e74 and i sent it in and shipping and repair where free if u are still under the 3 year exte3ndded warranty.and u get a free month of live in return from xbox also

I had E73 a while bcakXD So searched around on google and found out that my eternett(inside the xbox)was broken. My house was hit by lightning while I was playing and I got error E73 a week later. If you go to microsoft customer support they can repair it for you^^ I just got a box in the mail, put the xbox inside and got it back a week later fixed:) Hope this help! :D And i got 1month free glod live when i got it back :D

edit: And btw you need to have the warranty still apply

Enrisan said:
So my xbox has been working perfectly fine for the 2 years or so that I've had it. Then yesterday I had to call Microsoft support to see if I could get my old account back from my V1 Xbox (since they're shutting it all down April 15th), well they couldn't get my account back because it has been inactive for over 3 years. To make it up they gave me 500 Microsoft points on my main account. So I started playing Halo 3: ODST and noticed all the textures doing weird things, it looked like a comic book effect where there was a bunch of dots popping up on the screen at random places. I thought something was wrong with ODST so I switched to Crackdown, the screen had a bunch of thin vertical lines all over so I decided to stop playing.

Later I turned my xbox on to try out a DVD and I get an E74 error on the screen and a flashing red light on the lower right quadrant only. What is this error and is there any way to fix it? I don't want to send this to Microsoft to have them take months and miss the Reach beta. Kinda strange that I never had a problem with it, then an hour later after I call Microsoft support it all of a sudden dies on me...hmmm, makes you wonder...

Thanks,

-Enrisan

same thing happened to me and i was told it was a bad program on a disc i rented( odst) and i got the same error you did, i sent it in and i havent got it back yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright guys, wierdest thing: I was playing Call of Duty 4 with my cousin and after less than 20 mintues, my TV shutt off and the Xbox got the 3 rings. I shut it off, took some of the papers it had on it (They were covering the top vents, that couldve had to do with it) and now it's fine, it's playing the game fine, and if it does happen that it should get the RROD again, I know some fixes...

I had E74. If it's freezing after unplugging everything, and it's still freezing without the hard drive in. Just send it in. It takes like, a week. They just send you a replacement with a free month of LIVE.

so will they send me MY 360 back? or some crap refurbished one that who knows where it's been?

I've taken really good care of my Xbox, it's in almost perfect condition as when I bought it and out of nowhere it malfunctions. If I send it in, I'd like to get my own back...

Enrisan said:
so will they send me MY 360 back? or some crap refurbished one that who knows where it's been?

I've taken really good care of my Xbox, it's in almost perfect condition as when I bought it and out of nowhere it malfunctions. If I send it in, I'd like to get my own back...
They send a brand spankin' new one. No refurbished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back