Yet another first time build ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious. I see a lot of people saying they are "casting this helmet" or that helmet.
Why? What are you expecting to get out of casting whatever helmet you have so it is resin instead?
Or to put it another way... What's wrong with the printed helmet making you want to cast it?

View attachment 323710
Havent personally cast a helmet, but there are a few advantages over printed items:

1: once you have the mould, you can make many replicas.
2: no seams, aka no weak points along the build. Its cast as one whole item.
3: dependant on what resin/material you used, it may well be much more resistant to damage than your print, and withstand significantly higher temperatures. Aka leave it in a warm car and itll be fine, unlike your PLA helmet which will look like a purchase off of wish after about 20 minutes. Theres currently a guy im following on insta who is using Aguilars files to cast the same in some hard rubber. They are *extremely* resistant to damage.

Havent personally cast a helmet, but there are a few advantages over printed items:

1: once you have the mould, you can make many replicas.
2: no seams, aka no weak points along the build. Its cast as one whole item.
3: dependant on what resin/material you used, it may well be much more resistant to damage than your print, and withstand significantly higher temperatures. Aka leave it in a warm car and itll be fine, unlike your PLA helmet which will look like a purchase off of wish after about 20 minutes. Theres currently a guy im following on insta who is using Aguilars files to cast the same in some hard rubber. They are *extremely* resistant to damage.
Ok. Thanks.
  1. I have no need for multiple of the same helmet.
  2. I have no seams in my printed helmets. I print them whole, not counting any accessories.
  3. I don't print PLA. Everything is either PETG or ASA. So no "hot car syndrome".
But I do take your meanings. Thanks.

I'm just curious. I see a lot of people saying they are "casting this helmet" or that helmet.
Why? What are you expecting to get out of casting whatever helmet you have so it is resin instead?
Or to put it another way... What's wrong with the printed helmet making you want to cast it?

View attachment 323710
Great question! So I’ve worked with both casted and printed and it’s a personal preference. I really dislike the process for cleaning up prints, time consuming, quite a bit of materials I need to use and patience. I guess it depends how it’s made too, but I’ve had prints be super delicate, warp from the sun and overall displeasing with the feel of it. I’ve dropped casts from 6feet of height and have no damage, leave it out in the sun with not warping, super quick to prep for finishing with just some light sanding, and the weight/density feels more real. I don’t think there’s any issues with using prints, it’s just not my preferred. That being said, I’ve molded and begun casting the scout helmet for sales. I don’t own printers and I’m really bad with computers so another deterrent for printing for me. I hand sculpted the helmet, seemed easier than designing it with some program. Hope this has some of the answer you were looking for. Lol

Ok. Thanks.
  2. I have no seams in my printed helmets. I print them whole, not counting any accessories.
  3. I don't print PLA. Everything is either PETG or ASA. So no "hot car syndrome".

View attachment 323747
To clarify, when i say "your helmet" i mean "your" in the general universal sense, not *your specific helmet*
I realised after the fact this could appear ruder than intended :)

To clarify, when i say "your helmet" i mean "your" in the general universal sense, not *your specific helmet*
I love tone reading, lol I don’t think there should be any hostility in any of these posts, I felt you hit the nail on the head with explaining some of the pros to casting. Hopefully there wasn’t any misreading in these posts!

Dude - no worries here at all. I'm ex-Army and impossible to insult. I forget others aren't so much.

I write SO MUCH that is just blurted out, with the tone in my head I never think about the tone someone else might hear in their head. To me its just a comment from someone that grew up in the 70's with Richard Prior and Mel Brooks, maybe a little funny snark thrown in. Then some 20-something is all flavors of bent out of shape like I just insulted their wife and kicked his dog.

I don’t own printers and I’m really bad with computers so another deterrent for printing for me. I hand sculpted the helmet, seemed easier than designing it with some program. Hope this has some of the answer you were looking for. Lol
Well, if you ever want to outsource that side of things let me know, its what I do. And I have a massive resin printer arriving next week that would print some helmets in a single part, others in two at most. The cost of outsourcing the original is nothing compared to the labor of making that first one. Especially when they look like this right off the printer.
1664590251738.png

Dude - no worries here at all. I'm ex-Army and impossible to insult. I forget others aren't so much.

I write SO MUCH that is just blurted out, with the tone in my head I never think about the tone someone else might hear in their head. To me its just a comment from someone that grew up in the 70's with Richard Prior and Mel Brooks, maybe a little funny snark thrown in. Then some 20-something is all flavors of bent out of shape like I just insulted their wife and kicked his dog.

Well, if you ever want to outsource that side of things let me know, its what I do. And I have a massive resin printer arriving next week that would print some helmets in a single part, others in two at most. The cost of outsourcing the original is nothing compared to the labor of making that first one. Especially when they look like this right off the printer.
View attachment 323749
Thank you for the offer I’ll keep it in mind with future things! I appreciate it, I get the just blurting things out and being blunt, marine corps. Lol so I’ve spent some time learning how to talk to others again, my wife says I’m not good at it.

View attachment 323749
Now that *is* a high res resin printer.
My saturn does a decent enough job, but you can still make out layer lines off the bed. That looks like it was injection moulded nearly!
great quality.

Ok. Thanks.

View attachment 323747
Before watching this I avoided trying to print the helmet in one go because cleaning the supports from the visor area seemed like a big hassle. It would have never occurred to me to tilt the helmet back to make them fall behind it. Thank you so much for giving me this revelation now it's time to do some slicing!

I can see the appeal of casting, though for me my PLA seems to be holding up well. I also coated the whole thing in epoxy and did a possibly unnecessary fiberglass interior... I haven't left it in a hot car, but it did survive a fall from about 6 feet onto a hardwood floor unscathed so its good enough for me. For now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back