3D Printed ODST helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
So me and Master Builder started working on a 3D model of an ODST helmet.
The original model was made by Blue realm here a while ago.
While it was stated to be ready to 3D print it was far of from printer ready.
Masterbuilder cleaned it up and I cut it up and started printing.

I havent been much at home lately so not much time to prep the printer for new parts.
First part has been sitting ready for 2 days now and here it is.

View attachment 3264

attachment.php?attachmentid=3262&d=1409949045.jpg

We have a first version of a vacuform block but we Master Builder is working on another one since I think the one we currently have will be too high too form.

If you want to start your own I uploaded it to thinigiverse
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:450308

Its going pretty good over 200 downloads already.

You guys are epic :) just thought you should know. I've been working on the same thing with the solidworks model from Blue Realm but I don't know how to work a 3d printer so I'm happy that you guys did it first lol.

Very, very, very cool. Really, I can't say that enough.

I love anything ODST, and anything 3D printing. But combined... just... too... cool.

I don't know if I'll print one myself, only because I already have an ODST helm, but I may eventually give it a shot.

Just out of curiosity, what printer are you making this on? I've got a Solidoodle myself.

That's awesome... Iv little knowledge of 3D printing...
Could you print the entire helmet in one go if you wanted or does it need to be done in parts?

That's awesome... Iv little knowledge of 3D printing...
Could you print the entire helmet in one go if you wanted or does it need to be done in parts?

I guess it depends of the space inside the printer. the one we had at high school could only go about 7inches high, and could only print on a rectangle from 8*10inches
you also have a risk of problems that might be a hell. we had some pieces half printed and the wire broke, we had to do it from the start.

so basicaly small parts are safer and easier to print

Very, very, very cool. Really, I can't say that enough.

I love anything ODST, and anything 3D printing. But combined... just... too... cool.

I don't know if I'll print one myself, only because I already have an ODST helm, but I may eventually give it a shot.

Just out of curiosity, what printer are you making this on? I've got a Solidoodle myself.

I have an ultimaker original.

it has a printing bed 20x20x20,5 cm
I cut it up in pieces to make the build with as little as possible support material. some parts would use up so much extra fillament and i thought it would be a waste.
I could do it in bigger pieces but if a part should fail that would be a waste of material and printing time. cutting it in to pieces reduces that risk.

I guess it depends of the space inside the printer. the one we had at high school could only go about 7inches high, and could only print on a rectangle from 8*10inches
you also have a risk of problems that might be a hell. we had some pieces half printed and the wire broke, we had to do it from the start.

so basicaly small parts are safer and easier to print

Sweet! Will be using this for my ODST squad. I hope to start printing here soon.
keep me updated, if you run into any problems we can tweak the design, or change stuff.

I dont know what printer you are using but most parts are able to be printed without support. needs some re -orientation sometimes.

sadly I don't have access to the high school printer since I'm in university, all my hopes are on you nintendstroid and
Zoomer246

High school printer?
edit: ah see now what you are referring too.
3d hubs is awesome I rent out my printer to people who want to print stuff. or if you want to spend some money you could print it at shapeways.
But i bet if you ask arround your university has one hidden away somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in a technical section, we learnt to make pieces with solidworks and print it. That was the best part of it.
I'll check if I find something that can print it for me, but I might spare to ger one myself, just wonderig about which model should I choose.

Tetro - one option is to have a look for any local Hackerspaces, as they'll normally have a variety of printers you can requisition a print from (although it depends on where you are, as they're all run slightly differently).

Tetro - one option is to have a look for any local Hackerspaces, as they'll normally have a variety of printers you can requisition a print from (although it depends on where you are, as they're all run slightly differently).

I'm not sure we got hackerspaces in France, but I will chek just in case! this might be a great idea to wait until I get a printer myself!

Awesome! thanks guys! it'd make things easier for me!

Nintendstroid, I checked what printer you had, and I have a question, is it wood? seems like every pic of ultimaker are lasercuted wood

Awesome! thanks guys! it'd make things easier for me!

Nintendstroid, I checked what printer you had, and I have a question, is it wood? seems like every pic of ultimaker are lasercuted wood
yeah ultimaker original is made out of lasercut wood. pretty sturdy and keeps the cost down. I like box printers better then the beam ones much sturdier.
Nothing wrong with it. a lot of other printers are made of wood.

I was just fearing about fragility and temperatures (the one I learnt with was pretty warm)
other than that, it seems low cost for a printer, especially when I see the precision in the piece produced.
I might get more attention about it ^^

I was just fearing about fragility and temperatures (the one I learnt with was pretty warm)
other than that, it seems low cost for a printer, especially when I see the precision in the piece produced.
I might get more attention about it ^^

nope, have had mine for almost a year and its second hand, also upgrading it to dual extruder and heated bed

Glad to see other people wanting to use the model!

When the file archive starts working again, I'll upload all my models to there, and start a thread for them.

Can't wait to start building my own printer! Endless possibilities.

just add some cheap super glue and presto.
only removed the printing brimm and glued them, perfect fit.
just going to take a razor blade and slice the remaining brimm of.

IMG_9792.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back