Adventurecon 2008 - June 13-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys i may only be able to come down saturday due to the lack of participation in my area.. i think saturday morning i may just drive down and drive back that night.. if i had more money i would just stay at the Holiday Inn next door but i am lacking in funds.. i really want to attend.. if i come up with some extra cash i will be sure to come down friday but as it stands i will be lucky to drive down saturday..

Ronin said:
I'm still here!! Work, work, still like finishing up the calves and add some strapping!! At this point my wife thinks I'm crazy....utill she seen some finished pieces! I will be working on mine up to Friday, but I will be done!!!

lol know what's sad is I've been thinking this whole time that I've wanted to kill myself over my armor..."Well.. just think .. Ronin is in the same position just a few miles away.. sitting alone in the dark in a garage somewhere sanding away ..sadly"

I'm right there with you man, today I add all the black details at the airbrush shop in town, then it's just last minute things, adding the strappings, reinforcing the inside of the armor a little more, putting a door hinge on my chest/back, and applying battle damage. Two days left... CRUNCH TIME! NO SLEEP FOR THE WICKED SOLDIER! lol

Cheers,
Kensai

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Dark! I'm almost done painting my details, tomorrow I finish the forearms and add my shoulder decals and I'm done! I'm taking the armor home tonight to add my strapping and install the visor and lights. I think I work best under pressure lol. Ronin, I send the leftover of my armor making energy to you sir. Seriously if worse comes to worse, you got my cell #. Call me, I'll drive to Morristown and come help you finish up, my brother lives there. TN Regiment - Hoorah!

Cheers,
Kensai

des0lat3 said:
Congrats Dark.. i would love to see some pics.. are any of your guys getting a room there?? i hope i get to go..
Room like at a hotel? No I live 8 minutes away.

des0lat3 said:
Congrats Dark.. i would love to see some pics.. are any of your guys getting a room there?? i hope i get to go..

Hope you decide to come do both days man. In all seriousness after seeing your suit; you're one of the reasons I decided to start building armor. Can't wait to see that MJOLNIR in person.

Bring your cameras everyone, hope to take a bunch pics with you all from the forums. :)

Cheers,
Kensai

Yea I still have things to do :cautious: the calves are all l like in the sanding department and they are almost done. everything else is just strapping ,face shield, you get the point. I WILL be done Friday night!! Unlike you kensai111 I already had most of my pep done when i got into a mad rush to finish. With two jobs i have had allot of late nights in the garage LOL. Oh yea looks like I will there on Sat about 1:30 or 2:00.

Darkslitter I don't know if i missed it, but what color is your armor?

Ronin said:
Yea I still have things to do :cautious: the calves are all l like in the sanding department and they are almost done. everything else is just strapping ,face shield, you get the point. I WILL be done Friday night!! Unlike you kensai111 I already had most of my pep done when i got into a mad rush to finish. With two jobs i have had allot of late nights in the garage LOL. Oh yea looks like I will there on Sat about 1:30 or 2:00.

Darkslitter I don't know if i missed it, but what color is your armor?
Hammered dark steel and shiny yellow secondary.

Just checked out the website. Must say I'm a bit disappointed in one of the guests attending. Specifically Brian Harnois from the Ghost Hunters. Being a fan of the show I absolutely could not stand the drama he brought into it, but more specifically I'm shocked he's actually charging for autographs. Last year at Dragon*Con I got signatures from Jason, Grant, Tango and Steve all for free on my DVD set. That's just sad that he's charging, considering he's not even on the show anymore.

Darkslitter said:
Room like at a hotel? No I live 8 minutes away.

Yea I'm just driving in for the day. It's like 2hrs away from home.

--

Also, the company I ordered my special fx lenses from apparently had my contacts on backorder all this week. I only just now found out by looking at my account online. I sent them an angry email to let them know that they've put me in a terrible predicament and that I was displeased. They insisted that they sent an email to let me know but I don't have junk mail filters so I dunno if they sent it or not.

Regardless, they called me like 10 minutes ago to say they'd like to make a resolution and ship a similar lens overnight. The lady on the phone had a nice voice so I kinda felt bad for the angry email, but I guess in retrospect, I was truly upset and needed to let them know that. They apologized quite a bit and I thanked them for taking initiative in making it right.

So, in the end, I'm getting something slightly different, but it will be a SFX lens with my prescription. Nowhere else could offer that to me, so I am appeased.

The one's on backorder were:

WhiteOut.jpg

And the one's they are overnighting are:

Manson.jpg

Considering that they are in my prescription, the difference is acceptable. I'd rather be able to see thru a different style than have to buy plano (no prescript) of the original at the local store.

---

Just checked out the website. Must say I'm a bit disappointed in one of the guests attending.

I'm not really excited about any of the guests in particular (no offense to them hehe). I'm more looking forward to the vendors and seeing ppl in their costumes. It's just a fun trip in general.

Ronin - Good luck man.

Dark - Coolio man, hope to see you there.

Vex - Sorry to hear about the lens problem, glad they manned up though :)

As far as the guests go, I mean I'm a horror fan so Daniel Harris and Tony Moran and Kane Hodder are all nice to have in.. and well I have a thing for Shawnee Smith so.. I may be lingering in that direction a bit often ;D Doug Jones was a cool choice.. and as far as the kid from Hannah Montana being the only one you need a VIP pass just for an autograph.. well ... ROFL. I spit in his general direction. $75 pass just for his autograph lolol...

AdventureCon being tomorrow, figured I'd give this badboy a bump. For those of you looking for me tomorrow I will be there from 1:30pm - ???. Hope you can all make it at some time or another this weekend. I have much to do before then.. plus I gotta find time for sleep. This is Scar, signing out; reporting for duty in 1300 hours.

Cheers,
Kensai

kensai111 said:
AdventureCon being tomorrow, figured I'd give this badboy a bump. For those of you looking for me tomorrow I will be there from 1:30pm - ???. Hope you can all make it at some time or another this weekend. I have much to do before then.. plus I gotta find time for sleep. This is Scar, signing out; reporting for duty in 1300 hours.

Cheers,
Kensai
WORKING MY %%% OFF. I can't come til saturday I have a concert on Friday

I figured I'd drop an update. I went solo today. I approached the 501st with a hearty warm hello and they turned all their backs on me. I tried to tell them who I was and just wanted to say hi from one costumer to another and they were VERY much not interested and kept their backs to me until I left one of them shook my hand and made quick small talk but really didn't appear to want to bother with me. Everyone else was very pleasant and I probably posed for about 40 pictures today total including one for the AdventureCon staff for the "Previously at AdventureCon" section of the website for this year :) Everyone was very friendly and the guests were very intrigued with the armor and how I made it and where I learned to do such (yes, I sent them this way of course :) ). Hands down I received the most attention at AdventureCon. I had a few problems with my armor but they were quickly fixed. My fan died on me right at the start :eek: but luckily I had my liquid cooling vest on so I was ok.. just fought with a foggy visor all day. Ronin, Desolate, Dark and Vex should all be out with me tomorrow so it should be a blast. I'll post all the photos at the end of the weekend :)

Cheers,
Kensai

kensai111 said:
I figured I'd drop an update. I went solo today. I approached the 501st with a hearty warm hello and they turned all their backs on me. I tried to tell them who I was and just wanted to say hi from one costumer to another and they were VERY much not interested and kept their backs to me until I left one of them shook my hand and made quick small talk but really didn't appear to want to bother with me. Everyone else was very pleasant and I probably posed for about 40 pictures today total including one for the AdventureCon staff for the "Previously at AdventureCon" section of the website for this year :) Everyone was very friendly and the guests were very intrigued with the armor and how I made it and where I learned to do such (yes, I sent them this way of course :) ). Hands down I received the most attention at AdventureCon. I had a few problems with my armor but they were quickly fixed. My fan died on me right at the start :eek: but luckily I had my liquid cooling vest on so I was ok.. just fought with a foggy visor all day. Ronin, Desolate, Dark and Vex should all be out with me tomorrow so it should be a blast. I'll post all the photos at the end of the weekend :)

Cheers,
Kensai
Forearms glassed and painted with a little warp :( Glassing the shoulders (redos) as we speak.

Woke up at 8:30 this morning. Force of habit from work schedule. At the latest, I'll be leaving town at 12:30. Google says my drive is about 1hrs and 39 mins, but with how I drive (using lead foot technology) I think I can do it in 1-1hr. 15. My fiance' is def coming with me and my room mate might be.

I'm going to change into costume somewhere there I think because it's hot as hell today (like usual heh).

I did some more sewing and alterations last night...I couldn't help it heh. The sash troubled me as being too wide so I hemmed it down and now it's all good.

----

@ Kensai- Wow, I'm surprised that the 501 was so rude =\ I would have thought that they would have been more excited to see a fellow propper. I guess they saw you as competition :p.

Glad to hear that your suit was a hit though! It's the reaction of the general crowd that is important, imo.

I think I'll bring my camera too.

Edit: I was looking for pics of last year's con this morning and found this photo...

2824826400101017951YcdgIq_ph.jpg

Link

Anyone know who these spartans are? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back