Cog Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gearsofhalo said:
are you going to be posting pictures now, because i might post some pictures of my armor in progress

Yep, here in just a little im going to upload a couple of pix. Im just charging up my camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok here goes......

First off, credit goes to Spartan51 for the files and PSBeretta for the inspiration.

Just want to say this is the first of 2 suits im building. This one is designed for my four year old son. He is a crazy Gears head and wanted to be Marcus Fenix for Halloween. The building materials are pep models, fiberglass cloth and resin, light bondo, then a layer of Foamies fun mat sealed in a fabric glue mix( i sealed it because the foam is pores and sucks to paint). The foamies material was my very cheap alterative to clay. I've never worked with clay and had no idea as to where to get some. The lights are not in yet, but i do plan on adding them.

GavinGOWsuit043.jpg

Here is what it looks like after the Foamies.

GavinGOWsuit051.jpg

After some primer.

GavinGOWsuit053.jpg

The Greaves

Its all still a work in progress, but i hope my alternative to the clay is excepted by some of you who may be inexperienced or pressed for cash. Well, let me know what you think. Thanx.

Well i tried diffrent things, but i got the best result from regular elmer's school glue and this fabric glue mixed together. I just brushed it on with a paint brush.

Major Pain said:
Well i tried diffrent things, but i got the best result from regular elmer's school glue and this fabric glue mixed together. I just brushed it on with a paint brush.

oh cool. i want to try that. cool are you going to resin over the foamies?

I might have a double post but...PICS ARE UP!
Boots/Shins
IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

Belt
IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

Shoulders (i need help with putting this to work)
IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

Plate (front and back, primed)
IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

Crotchplate
IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

Lancer
IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

~~~

And this is me, before i primed the Chestplate with everything but the shoulders and the crotchplate:
IMG_1198a.jpg

~~~

Major Pain, that is divine. Great job so far and keep going! I can never really rival anything anyone here can produce. but in my little town in BC, this is called, Unbelievable. For you guys, thats called Godly. Well done, and its a great sight to see many people so into Gears.

Gearsofhalo said:
oh cool. i want to try that. cool are you going to resin over the foamies?

Unfortunately no. That was one of the sealing techniques i tried but failed. The resin melts the foam before it can cure. I tried rubber cement, hot glue, and even diffrent putties (wood, metal, ect.) School glue is actually the best so far. after the FILLER PRIMER, its pretty durable and tight. I wouldn't say its completely water proof(needs more test) but after i primed it, i left it outside and it started to rain. I brought it in, wiped it down and it was fine. Maybe i'll scotch guard it as well.

Major Pain said:
Unfortunately no. That was one of the sealing techniques i tried but failed. The resin melts the foam before it can cure. I tried rubber cement, hot glue, and even diffrent putties (wood, metal, ect.) School glue is actually the best so far. after the FILLER PRIMER, its pretty durable and tight. I wouldn't say its completely water proof(needs more test) but after i primed it, i left it outside and it started to rain. I brought it in, wiped it down and it was fine. Maybe i'll scotch guard it as well.

try covering it in a coat of gloss and see how that goes?
EDIT: I had a eureka moment not too long ago. you must have heard of those Adidas and Nike headbands and wrist bands. could i be able to fiberglass a small strip between the fabric onto the fiberglassed shoulder piece, thus making it hard for one section, yet having an entire band to slip up to the shoulder?

Gearsofhalo said:
MC, that wouls just be annoying, because it would keep falling off i promise. i would try a different route.

would you have an idea? because frankly, i've been busting my brain out looking for an answer. and i dont see why it wouldnt work. if a strip of fiberglass was to go through the headband, fiberglassed, then have more strips of fiberglass over that first strip to reinforce it. and maybe not just 1 headband but 2 per shoulder? i dunno, but so far, it seems doable. but if you think otherwise, please elaborate.
EDIT: Hey Major Pain, whats this Primer Filler? can school glue hold down the foamie well enough without falling off? i might try what you are doing...and it wouldnt take that long either.

Major Pain said:
Ok here goes......

First off, credit goes to Spartan51 for the files and PSBeretta for the inspiration.

Just want to say this is the first of 2 suits im building. This one is designed for my four year old son. He is a crazy Gears head and wanted to be Marcus Fenix for Halloween. The building materials are pep models, fiberglass cloth and resin, light bondo, then a layer of Foamies fun mat sealed in a fabric glue mix( i sealed it because the foam is pores and sucks to paint). The foamies material was my very cheap alterative to clay. I've never worked with clay and had no idea as to where to get some. The lights are not in yet, but i do plan on adding them.

GavinGOWsuit043.jpg

Here is what it looks like after the Foamies.

GavinGOWsuit051.jpg

After some primer.

GavinGOWsuit053.jpg

The Greaves
Its all still a work in progress, but i hope my alternative to the clay is excepted by some of you who may be inexperienced or pressed for cash. Well, let me know what you think. Thanx.

Im amazed you got the scale right for your son. The only way i found a way is to scale the 3d model then take measurements off that (how psberetta was scaled and how mine ended up scaled).

MC PwN 3R: Amazing suit hope you keep use posted on how it goes

Nice to see people using these files. Like a couple of weeks ago i was debating on removing the files since every one that used them had them.

I might work on the upper arms and upper legs soon (pb needs them and i just got to do them). I just got to find the time to complete them.

NO NO NO!!! PLEASE DON'T REMOVE THE FILES!!! I have friends that want to use them, and i like the option of redownloading them. please do me a favor and not remove these great files. and if you get the arms and legs, please post them.

MC PwN 3R: The FILLER PRIMER that i use is made by Krylon. Im not sure whats available in your area, but the can states that its indoor/outdoor that seals and smooths lightly abrasive areas. As for the fomies method: It really is a drawn out process. I mapped out each piece with regular paper and taped it to the model to make sure it fit flat. Next i traced the shapes out on the foamies. Then i used HOT GLUE to secure the pieces to the model(to answer your question about securing it with school glue). You have to be careful with the hot glue because it can melt it as well. Try to put it on the model first and wait about 5 seconds before placing the foamies on. Also be careful not to press the foamies on as you will leave a "dent" in the piece(you can use "dents" to help highlight battle damage). The next step is painting a least 2 layers of sealant of the foamies. Again i used a school glue, fabric glue mix, but you can try the Gloss you spoke of earlier. Then of course prime, paint, weather, and detail.

As for your shoulder problem, the way im going to go about it is im going to secure a small "loop" of a strap material under the collar of the chest/back piece. Probably using just hot glue to glue half of the loop to the model. Next im going to secure another loop like piece to the shoulder piece. Its actually going to be loop with a small little extra piece on it to connect to the shoulder. This part is hard to describe, but it will have a small buckle on it like you find on backpacks and some luggage. The female end on one end and the male on the other. This way you can weave the shoulder straps through the collar strap and adjust it to fit right. This keeps it from sliding up and down. You can also connect another strap to the shoulder piece to go around the arm to secure it to your arm better. This keeps it from bouncing up and down. I'll try to draw out a diagram of what im talking about if you can't imagine what im talking about. Just let me know.

what are you doing, getting rid of the files? what was the point of putting them up there? it was to get people into Gears again and download the files to make armor such as PSberetta, Major Pain, and myself. if you get rid of the files, it would beat the reason why you made them in the first place, and posting them. Keep it there, because some of the artwork and productions made in this thread will probably go in the hall of fame. furthermore, its gonna take a long time before this thread dies off for good. in all, removal of the files would beat the reason why they were there in the first place.
EDIT: i have no idea of what you are talking about there Major Pain. can you draw out the diagrams?
MAJOR PAIN: The sealant you speak of i dont think is available where i live...all they have is local and no-name spray paints, like RONA products, etc. and only a couple of Krylons here and there. is there an alternative to this Sealant?

@MC PwN 3R and Gearsofhalo: wow hold up all i said was i thought about taking them down. It was manly for the new release of pep since i dont want the models ripped even thought there not mine. I might take them done for a moment and get every thing cleared up and alot easier to understand

Hey Spartan51, thanx again for the files and the upper thigh and arms will be a welcomed addition. as fof the scaling, i just used the measurements given in the bottom right corner of pepakura designer to gauge what i needed after taking my son's measurements.

MC PwN 3R: Here's what i came up with for you...

harness006.jpg

This is the type of strap im talking about. you can harvet them from old backpacks or just buy them from a craft store.

harness002.jpg

Mock up of the piece that goes under the collar (NOT THE REAL STRAP, JUST A LITTLE THING I MADE REAL QUICK)

harness003.jpg

Mock up of the piece that goes on the shoulder.

harness001.jpg

What it would look like under the collar.

harness004.jpg

What it would look like under the shoulder.

harness005.jpg

What the finished product should look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back