Dremel 290-01

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoonguard

I've been shopping around for a new rotary tool and came accross the Dremel 290-01 a number of times. It's listed as an "engraver", running at 7,200 strokes per minute. It caught my eye, mainly, because of the price. Getting it for only $15 compared to other models at twice or three times the price is pretty appealing.

I'm wondering though, is it even capable of doing the work needed on a bondo'd/glassed piece of armor? Has anyone tried this model on their projects? I'm on a budget so I'm trying to save wherever possible.

Thanks for any input!

i personally am not sure, i have the dremel 300 an it was roughly.... oh.... $40-50 something i believe. the newest model to get was the 400 but it was like... $60-70 or a little higher i can't remember.

all i can say is that if the tools are either metal or sandpaper based i'm sure it'll do the job. body filler is easy to mold an shape even after dried, but fiberglass sorta... turns into grains an splinters away somewhat. *shrugs* i'm sure it'll work fine, i don't see why not. ^__^

do you have images per chance of what exactly you're asking about?

Yuki-Kedamono said:
i personally am not sure, i have the dremel 300 an it was roughly.... oh.... $40-50 something i believe. the newest model to get was the 400 but it was like... $60-70 or a little higher i can't remember.

all i can say is that if the tools are either metal or sandpaper based i'm sure it'll do the job. body filler is easy to mold an shape even after dried, but fiberglass sorta... turns into grains an splinters away somewhat. *shrugs* i'm sure it'll work fine, i don't see why not. ^__^

do you have images per chance of what exactly you're asking about?

I can't upload any pics from here but: Here's a link to an ebay auction of one. The only thing I'm wary of (aside from it's power) is whether or not it can fit other tips aside from the engraver it comes with (i.e. sanders, cutters, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
SpoonGuard said:
I can't upload any pics from here but: Here's a link to an ebay auction of one. The only thing I'm wary of (aside from it's power) is whether or not it can fit other tips aside from the engraver it comes with (i.e. sanders, cutters, etc).

ok looking at it closer i was able to note that it still has the housing cap, collet nut, and the collet, which means that the collet is able to switch out the different tools. all of the dremels in the series so far have been able to switch out tools amongst one another. so i see no reason why you couldn't do that. and engravers if i have this correctly rotate the same as with the other tools, so you should be in the clear to get this ^__^

Last edited by a moderator:
it should be able to work but i wouldn't trust it . it doesnt look like it can take much BUT the good thing about it is the variable speed see the more pressure you put on it the speed dies down so u cramp it up more then no problem . i have a 300 series dremel which i bought for $99 (australian dollars) and it cuts literally anything

heres what it looks like and a bonus extra

SDC11053.JPG

seriously no dought a powerful one to

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back