Obi-Jeff's MK 6 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off to a good start. I am not entirely sure if I am right here but I recommend investing in a heat gun, or if you have been using one to use it that little bit more to really form the curves. I know this helmet is an arwkward one for foam but if I remember right I used the heat gun alot on my helmet.

If you can't afford a heat gun, I know not all of us can buy our selves such luxuries then a warning for you. If you are bending the parts then using the glue to keep their forced shape then never leave your piece in the sun. A small bit of the back of my helmet pulled apart when I left it in a window, I hadn't properly heat gunned the shape so was a litltle force glued. The sun was enough to loosen the glue and POP!

Keep up the good work,
Tom.

Well i have given up on the foam helmet build because its so hard to do foam helmets lol. I am just going to keep going with my fiber glassed one. Should be able to finish up that one soon. As for the chest and back i may be able to do that in foam but not sure. Thanks drack for the comments. I did get a heat gun at harbor $12 not bad i would say. If i had someone close to me that knows how to do foam and could show me that would be better than looking at pictures. I learn by hands on. I have been making an airsoft mask though out of foam its looking pretty awesome i will post some pics.

I have started to work on my boots and i did them out of card stock, i know need to resin and fiber glass them. Fiber glass is a pain, but it makes it strong.

Hey guys it has been sometime and sad to say this but my armor was thrown out on the asumption that i was doing all foam armor. My friend where i was working on my armor thought that i did not want that armor and got rid of it. So i was bumbed out big time when he said this. So i will have to start all over from Scratch. So for now i am helping a few of my friends get started with making there armor and providing my help. Maybe once i move i will start work again.

So, some new updates. I have been doing some thinking about doing Cardboard armor. Now i am a total noob when it comes to cardboard armor. What i want to know is should i print out the pepakura and put together some of the big peaces and trace them onto the cardboard? Then cut them out and use Hot glue to attach them together? If anyone has had some dealings in this, or if i am going in the right direction please let me know.

I am looking to do this to past the time when i am bored. I also miss working with my hands and putting my head to work. I also am not looking to spend to much money on this project so any help would be great full.

Such a shame your stuff got thrown out. It's great you've got the motivation to keep going, I reckon if my stuff got thrown away I wouldn't be able to continue.

Now, you're thinking about doing a cardboard build. Over the past couple months I've had the experience of putting together my halo 4 suit out of cardboard. To be honest, I can't really see any benefits of using cardboard over Eva foam, other than cardboard is dirt cheap. IMHO foam is also much easier and nicer to work with.

Yes, what you're doing with the pep templates is a good method of translating those files into cardboard. Once you have the main structure built a good technique for building detail is layering up pieces of craft foam.

Now, my process for the build has mainly been looking at reference pictures and cutting and gluing based on those. It's taken me a lot longer than if I had of used templates, but it came out really well and is a little more personalised. If you want to do this keep in mind it can be very tedious at times, especially if something doesn't come out right and you need to redo it.

Best of luck on the rest of your build and I hope this has helped a little :)

Oh, and based on experience I would recommend pepping the helmet.

Such a shame your stuff got thrown out. It's great you've got the motivation to keep going, I reckon if my stuff got thrown away I wouldn't be able to continue.

Now, you're thinking about doing a cardboard build. Over the past couple months I've had the experience of putting together my halo 4 suit out of cardboard. To be honest, I can't really see any benefits of using cardboard over Eva foam, other than cardboard is dirt cheap. IMHO foam is also much easier and nicer to work with.

Yes, what you're doing with the pep templates is a good method of translating those files into cardboard. Once you have the main structure built a good technique for building detail is layering up pieces of craft foam.

Now, my process for the build has mainly been looking at reference pictures and cutting and gluing based on those. It's taken me a lot longer than if I had of used templates, but it came out really well and is a little more personalised. If you want to do this keep in mind it can be very tedious at times, especially if something doesn't come out right and you need to redo it.

Best of luck on the rest of your build and I hope this has helped a little :)

Oh, and based on experience I would recommend pepping the helmet.

Your armor looks sweet. I am looking to put together a set of Halo armor that would almost resemble the new Halo 5 or the Halo from the xbox one launch halo trailer.

I am trying to figure out which helmet i want to do, either Mark 5 or Mark 6. Has anyone modeled the newer version of the Halo 4 Mark 5 helmet. Possibly a smooth version to easly pep out.

Hey all who have been check out my thread i updated the first post check it out.

I will be doing the chest and back pack from Agbates. I like how smooth and interesting this looks. Nice work. If you have not seen it check out below.

Tester.JPG

Once that is finished i will then try to figure out what i am going to be doing for my shoulders and forarms. If anyone has some suggestions please let me know. This build is going to be a mash up so keep that in mind.

I need to make a new thread to start over all this info is old. Can some one help me make a new thread. For some reason i do not have rights to make a new thread in the noob section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back