vshore100's CQB build (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update!!! WHOO HOO!

I finally had a chance to do a little more work on the helmet. I kept looking at one of the reference pics I am using and couldn't help but notice that the front helmet looked like it had a light there.
cqblight.jpg

Now the front of my helmet looked a little bland in that area so I decided to go for it. So, I remembered watching one of Adam's videos on lighting and some of the materials he used I just so happened to have laying around. So I started off by cutting the hole out with the ole trusty dremel. Then I did a little touch up with some black acrylic paint and proceeded to make a lense for the hole. I used the edge of a cd case to provide a way to disperse the light evenly. However, that was not enough so I took the lid from an old resin can and cut a piece off and glued it in place behind the cd cover piece.
Helmetpics006.jpg

Helmetpics004.jpg

Now we're in business. Next was the lighting. I, like Adam, went for the cheap way out and found some $1.00 led book reading lights in the Dollar Tree store the other day but had no idea what to use them for.....until now. So I proceeded to cut the little arms off and hot glue them inside the helmet in case I ever needed to remove them to change batteries and such. (I would like to upgrade to official led lighting and wiring on of these days)
Helmetpics007.jpg

Here's what it looks like lit up...
Helmetpics005.jpg

Looks pretty good I think. What about you?
Next I wanted to go ahead and cut the second visor I had been given for my birthday to add the dual visor effect. So I placed the first visor behind the second and traced it onto the new one and cut it out with the dremel and reinforced cutting wheel, broke off all the melted plastic and filed and sanded the edges. So I thought I was ready to install both visors in so I started putting them in bending a little here and there then I heard SNAP!!! I thought...."oh poop"......that's what I thought. SO I removed the two visors to find my original looking like this....
Helmetpics003.jpg

Too bad, it looked really cool with the etched visor behind the cut out one. It was my fault though. I had cut the first visor a little small and the hole I drilled to mount it was really close to the edge. Oh well, no biggy. I'll order another one soon and redo it. Here it is with the cut out visor installed.
Helmetpics002.jpg

Has anyone had any luck with heating visors to help them curve a little better? Any help with this would be appreciated.
Next I proceeded to add some of the padding to give it more of a professional look. I used some foam I had laying around, cut it so size, tested it, cut some more, tested it, etc. until it fit right. Then I spray glued both pieces little by little until it was all glued on. Here is what it looks like so far.
Helmetpics001.jpg

Sorry about the poor lighting. I was in the garage.
I still need to trim the padding a bit and pick up some more material to finish covering the padding. I also need to add the cheek padding, but it's coming along. Well, until next time, thanks for looking,keep building, and stay tuned!

That light fixture looks awesome. Too bad about your visor though. That would have irritated me a lot because I have to pay ridiculous shipping costs to get mine. And the padding does look very professional. I'd like to get mine looking like that, but I don't think I could do it with what I have on hand right now. I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap padded helmet or even helmet padding that might fit.

That light fixture looks awesome. Too bad about your visor though. That would have irritated me a lot because I have to pay ridiculous shipping costs to get mine. And the padding does look very professional. I'd like to get mine looking like that, but I don't think I could do it with what I have on hand right now. I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap padded helmet or even helmet padding that might fit.
Thanks Jonus. I was surprised at myself actually man. When I heard it snap, the first thing I thought was "oh well". Not my norm, especially since I had put a few hours into detailing the visor like that. Good luck with your padding search buddy.

im not normally a fan of the CQB variant, but this... just wow...! mind = blown
Thanks Deadshot! I'm glad I could blow your mind. Now, when your new mind gets installed, be sure to remember that you LIKE the CQB,lol! Thanks again.

So sad about the visor. :( But love what your plans are for it. Very EPIC indeed!
I really LOVE the LED pannel! Epicness +1

Cheers!

So sad about the visor. :( But love what your plans are for it. Very EPIC indeed!
I really LOVE the LED pannel! Epicness +1

Cheers!
Thanks LS! I appreciate the +1 epicness vote. I knew you couldn't resist the led's, lol!

Great job with the lights. I used the same ones on my helmet. After a year of being installed they started to give me trouble with working. I ended up taking the bulbs out, and getting a strand of led Christmas lights (4.99 from Big Lots). I used the existing housing from the dollar store lights, and they worked perfectly together.

For now what you have will work great, but in the future, when your suit is done, you may want to come back and upgrade the lights.

When buying a visor, check to see if it says it is made out of polycarbonate. If so, then it wont break.

Overall this is looking great. After seeing this it makes me want to make this helmet also.

Great job with the lights. I used the same ones on my helmet. After a year of being installed they started to give me trouble with working. I ended up taking the bulbs out, and getting a strand of led Christmas lights (4.99 from Big Lots). I used the existing housing from the dollar store lights, and they worked perfectly together.

For now what you have will work great, but in the future, when your suit is done, you may want to come back and upgrade the lights.

When buying a visor, check to see if it says it is made out of polycarbonate. If so, then it wont break.

Overall this is looking great. After seeing this it makes me want to make this helmet also.
Thanks Justin for the comments and tip about the lights and visor. I'll check for that next time.
This is looking so good vshore. I really dig the lighting you did. Looks boss. Sorry about visor brotha!

-Tony
Meh, it's no biggy man. Thanks for the comments boss.

Dig the lights man. How did you mount the shoulder to the arm? It looks like you went higher up the tricep with the arm piece...I cut mine short, but the way you did it looks good. Are the arms done? If so can you post a pic or two when you get the time?...I would like to steal your idea..errr..I mean see how you did it. I used the back end of the marker in the helmet and it worked great! Keep it up. I can't wait to see this bad boy done.

Sweet helmet... sorry about the visor. I don't suggest using a heat gun. I tried on my bubble visor and it ended up warping a little. Now the view inside the helmet is a little funky. But I did have a quick question about the fan you installed. I've been considering adding one to my Mk. V. I found the fan a radio shack but I'm not sure what power supply to hook it up to. What did you use. Is it a 9v or a pair of AA's... just curious. Appreciate the help. Keep up the awesome work man!!!

Looking good Vshore! I was contemplating putting a light in there, but you beat me to it, lol. Sorry to hear about the visor though, sucks balls man.

Dig the lights man. How did you mount the shoulder to the arm? It looks like you went higher up the tricep with the arm piece...I cut mine short, but the way you did it looks good. Are the arms done? If so can you post a pic or two when you get the time?...I would like to steal your idea..errr..I mean see how you did it. I used the back end of the marker in the helmet and it worked great! Keep it up. I can't wait to see this bad boy done.
Thanks. I used my reference pics to locate the attachment onto the bicep. It was just taped into position for the photo. I haven't finished them yet bud, they are resined but not hardened. I will get to it one of these days.
Sweet helmet... sorry about the visor. I don't suggest using a heat gun. I tried on my bubble visor and it ended up warping a little. Now the view inside the helmet is a little funky. But I did have a quick question about the fan you installed. I've been considering adding one to my Mk. V. I found the fan a radio shack but I'm not sure what power supply to hook it up to. What did you use. Is it a 9v or a pair of AA's... just curious. Appreciate the help. Keep up the awesome work man!!!
Thanks for the comments. I used one 9v battery for my fan. It pushes the air but not as much as if you were to use 12 volts. You can use one 9v or 8 AA's(they are 1.5 volts each). Radio shack has all the connectors you will need to get your fan running. Good luck!

Looking good Vshore! I was contemplating putting a light in there, but you beat me to it, lol. Sorry to hear about the visor though, sucks balls man.
Great minds think alike aussie. Thanks man.

In other news.....
I was heading out for work this morning. I opened the door to go out into the garage and noticed that I forgot to close the main garage door last night before we went to bed. (I don't normally do that) I proceeded to get in my car and noticed the stuff from my center console was laying in the drivers seat. I thought one of my girls had came out to get a cd and didn't put the stuff back in. No biggy. Then I noticed my sun visor was down, the sunglass holder was open, as well as the glove box. Ok, something's not right here. Next I looked in my van window and saw the glove box and center console was open there too. Some one has been in my garage in the middle of the night. I proceeded to look around and found they took my 18v Dewalt impact driver, 18v Dewalt cordless drill, and my Paslode finish nailer. They took me for about $750 worth of stuff. I have insurance, but after the deductible, I could replace one of the items and watch my insurance go up. I was glad to see they didn't mess with my CQB stuff and my Dremel. I mean, how would I work on my armor right? So....................I just prayed that if it was someone who really needed that extra money to feed their kids or something, ok. But if it's just some kids up to no good that they be caught and punished for it. That's about all I can do. My neighbor also had her car rummaged through last night and they took here registration for what ever reason. I checked though, mine are still there. What a crazy world we live in. I thought our neighborhood was super safe. We have never had anything like that happen around here. Just goes to show you can never be too careful.

So 405th, remember to close your garages and lock all your doors, you never know who is watching. Peace out!

Wow, that sucks. I'd check pawn shops in the area. There's a chance they'd show up, and if they run their business properly they'd need ID from the person selling. It might work out.

I know I'm way too careless. All my tools (most of which aren't even mine) are in the stairwell that is between the side garage door and our apartment door. The apartment door is always locked, but I never do the outside door. I probably should. The only reason I don't is in case someone actually comes to the door for us, we wouldn't hear them knocking outside, not that I expect many people through the night. Though my brother did show up at 2 am one night because the friend he was staying with got arrested....

Thankfully nothing irreplaceable was taken. I don't know why someone would take a vehicle registration except to just be an annoying inconvenience.

Yeah Jonus, I already reported to all the local pawn shops. The Detective that came to the house this morning said that the pawn shops in our area have to report everything taken in to some sort of database that the sheriff's department has access too. That database is checked (supposedly) by someone in the department on a daily basis. So hopefully something will turn up. Thanks for your concern buddy.

that sucks.. glad you reported it.. and to let you know the fed govt actually did a good thing for a change and made it a law that any shops which purchase used or personal items from the public must purchase a new database system which registers the items "pawned" with identification, fingerprints and photographs of the items.. this database is reported to the local jurisdiction for serial numbers to be checked through the stolen database. but the wonderful thing about the system is law enforcement can do a search for specific items taken into the pawn shops by description and additional information and retrieve all matches for the area, state and region.. unfortunately this system is expensive and it does include businesses which purchase used dvd's and games (gamestop) most of the shops here in Ga are already on the system and we have recovered several stolen items in the last few months that we would have never been able to recover in the past with out a serial number. so with that i have my finger crossed that the shops in your area are already on board and using the system..

on a personal note... I HATE THEVES!

Ha ha....me too buddy. I am hoping for the best in this situation. Thanks for the info on the database system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back