vshore100's CQB build (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta love the Loc tite putty, I use the same stuff to seal my visors, works great

I must say, you made the chest add on look awsome, I am amazed how well it turned out, still hard to belive you made a plain looking pep look so good, Great job

Great work vshore! It looks awesome, especially the CQB chest attachment. :cool I have to admit though, I think the helmet looked a bit better without the newly painted border around the visor opening, but that may just be because the main visor is not installed. Keep up the great work! (And I see you're yet another person who has found the wonders of epoxy putty! ;))
Thanks SF. I am really happy with the way the attachment came out. And as far as the helmet goes, I like it either way. I mainly painted it black to match the in game helmet. I think it will look better once the other visor is in. And yes, that little $5 tube of putty is amazing. Thanks again buddy.:)

Vshore the newspaper weathering looks great! I somewhat agree with Spitfire22V, not so much it would look better without, but maybe just a little thinner, but thats just me, in the end its your suit, each to their own. Either way it looks awesome, keep it up!
Thanks aussie, I came upon the newspaper idea by accident. I masked the white off to paint the black and when I removed it I saw it had rubbed off on the edges giving it a dirty look, so I went to town on the rest of it.:)
Gotta love the Loc tite putty, I use the same stuff to seal my visors, works great

I must say, you made the chest add on look awsome, I am amazed how well it turned out, still hard to belive you made a plain looking pep look so good, Great job
Thanks Hyper, your builds are some of the best I have seen around so a compliment like that means alot. Foamies were the key to making it look the way it does. It's usually the little details that make the most difference. Thanks again fellas>:)

Update time!

CQBpics039.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous man, I'm so stunned by the way you made that ever so light wear pop out, but not be to swallowing! Perfect amount of weathering imo! I can't wait for you to attach that, you gotta wear the helmet and chest with the LEDs on in a night shot!!!!!! that picture doesn't do the LEDs justice!!!! lol

Absolutely gorgeous man, I'm so stunned by the way you made that ever so light wear pop out, but not be to swallowing! Perfect amount of weathering imo! I can't wait for you to attach that, you gotta wear the helmet and chest with the LEDs on in a night shot!!!!!! that picture doesn't do the LEDs justice!!!! lol
Thanks alot Pip. I am messing around with a way to attach the chest and back together. Should have that done monday or tuesday, then I may attempt a suit up in da night time,lol.:)

<Lurking mode OFF>

I just had to come out of my "Lurking Mode" to post this. Too many LIFE things interrupting my Halo hobby

I completely agree with Pip. You "need" to take the photos in a low light environment and with the flash turned off. If you can, mount the camera on a tripod. "Need", because I really want to see the Epic results of this.

I have to say that your work is quite fantastic. I like the sharp attention to the details and time that your putting in on this. Especially on the helm --- a very Uber master piece.. IMHO.

Can't wait to see the results of your photo shoot.

Super Cheers vshore100!

<Lurking mode ON>

<Lurking mode OFF>

I just had to come out of my "Lurking Mode" to post this. Too many LIFE things interrupting my Halo hobby

I completely agree with Pip. You "need" to take the photos in a low light environment and with the flash turned off. If you can, mount the camera on a tripod. "Need", because I really want to see the Epic results of this.

I have to say that your work is quite fantastic. I like the sharp attention to the details and time that your putting in on this. Especially on the helm --- a very Uber master piece.. IMHO.

Can't wait to see the results of your photo shoot.

Super Cheers vshore100!

<Lurking mode ON>
Thanks so much LS, I really appreciate the comments man. I didn't get a chance to work on the armor today, had to take the daughter to the doctor. I am going to work on it tomorrow if all goes well. Then I will try and make that low light photo thing happen. Thanks again buddy and hope you can get back to your hobby soon.:)

Awesome job my man, its looking great. I love the chest add-on. Great job as always.
Thanks my friend, I appreciate that.:)

Well, it's time for an update!

I have been working on a way to attach the chest and back together for a little while now and I finally finished mocking it all up, just have to finish reinforcing some areas with good ole loctite putty. Here are some pics to show what I came up with.The two rods attached to the lower half of the chest slide into the two pieces of tubing attached to the lower half of the back.
CQBpics051.jpg

CQBpics050.jpg

I put two magnets (stacked) on the back side of each tubes. It pulls pretty good. You get a nice click as it draws them together. I bought these magnets at Walmart(they are located in the craft section,FYI) for around $4.00 a pack.
CQBpics042.jpg

CQBpics054.jpg

CQBpics052.jpg

Now for the top half. I fabbed up a couple of brackets out of some thin steel plates we had laying around the shop and added small pieces of bar stock to center the chest once it's on, then glued two magnets per side to hold the chest up. It locks in nice and tight. I'm pretty happy with it.
CQBpics053.jpg

Next up is something most of you have seen in my thread already, my CQB attachment.
CQBpics046.jpg

Not much has changed on it since you la.......................wait a second?! What's that? Did that..............no......it couldn't have.....did it?! Oh yes it did!!!
CQBpics047.jpg

I started on the knife by separating it from the sheath. Then, I was just going to clean up the inside of the sheath a little to accept the new blade.....wrongooo. This is what it looked like inside.....solid.
CQBpics049.jpg

So I had to pep a new sheath, resin it, then put a thin coat of rondo on the inside. Made a new foam detail piece, weathered, dry brush, etc., call it done.
For the knife, I found a pep file named.....knife. I don't know who made the file or I would credit them for it. (if you do, please tell me) I just pepped the blade portion, then resined it.
CQBpics043.jpg

Next I cut a piece of thin steel to length and notched the sides so the rondo would grip around it and lock it in place. I used steel in the blade so I could simply put a magnet in the sheath to hold it in place, which I still need to do.
CQBpics044.jpg

Next, I filled the blade with a thin batch of rondo, and pushed the metal insert inside the blade and let it cure. Then I put a ton of "really" hot glue in the handle, pushed the insert in and let it cool, repeated this until the handle was full and the blade was secure. I finished around where the handle meets the blade with loctite putty, sanded and painted the blade and handle base matte aluminum metallic followed by two coats of flat black. The blade is surprisingly sharp considering it is paper.
CQBpics045.jpg

I taped off the edge, sprayed more of the matte aluminum in a spray can lid, and hand brushed the edge to give it that sharpened look. Did a little more weathering on the handle and....
CQBpics048.jpg

Well, that's about it for this week. My progress will slow down somewhat, We have a little work to do in the shop so, once that's complete, I'll hit it hard again. If anyone likes the the techniques I have used in this build....please, by all means, use them. I love figuring out different ways to do things and sharing them with you guys and gals. After all, that's why we're here, to share and learn together. I know if someone hadn't been here to show me the way when I got started, you wouldn't be looking at this thread right now. So keep it going 405th, "LET'S KEEP BUILDING TOGETHAAAAARRRRRRRR"! :D

a bunch of spartans with these knifes running at you, that's what I pictured lol. amazing work man, gotta get good at unsheathing that knife quickly while in suit!
That's funny Pip. I'll have to practice.:)

I love motivational threads like these! Really helps to keep me going and to strive for the best. Keep up with the updates, I can never get enough of watching this project come to life.

Inspirational job man!

I love motivational threads like these! Really helps to keep me going and to strive for the best. Keep up with the updates, I can never get enough of watching this project come to life.

Inspirational job man!

Wow! Thanks so much for the comment Hosed. It seriously does mean alot to me knowing that I am able to inspire people to want to do better. As a community, I hope that we all have that same goal. Thanks again man.:)

Sorry for the DP but I did a suit up of what I have done so far. Please pardon my dootie camera...oh and my daughter was the operator.(don't tell her I said that),lol. I tried Longshot to get you a low light photo. Maybe I'll get my buddy to take some pics for me. He's a semi pro photographer. Anyway, here you go peeps.
markVIchest010.jpg

markVIchest012.jpg

100_54071.jpg

The chest is almost too small, but I'm afraid I'm gonna go with it. I will also have a balaclava to cover my neck when it is all said and done. Any way, hope you like what I've done so far. There's plenty more to come. Thanks for looking!:)

Odd, no comments at all. Oh well.:)

I managed to order my second visor and it will be delivered today. YAY!:) Hopefully will get it installed this weekend. I actually have to do work at work. Can you believe that?! We'll have it wrapped up soon so I'll be able to get back on the build. Stay tuned and thanks for looking!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back