10% can make all the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoidRunner

Making gentle progress with a Master Chief build and I wanted to share how 10% made all the difference.

I started with a helmet scaled exactly to my head, but I couldn't get the damn thing on without butchering it... a lot.
So I went back into Pepakura and scaled it up 10% with a single action, and remade it. Straight away it looks better and the dimensions feel right.

Now I just need to decide whether to scale up all the rest of the armour pieces by 10% to maintain the size ratio with the helmet, or make it at the original scale and then judge it. I'm thinking I'll scale it up as I'm going to cut it up into foam patterns if I'm happy and that's easier to adjust down.

IMG_20191109_180822_809.jpg

Making gentle progress with a Master Chief build and I wanted to share how 10% made all the difference.

I started with a helmet scaled exactly to my head, but I couldn't get the damn thing on without butchering it... a lot.
So I went back into Pepakura and scaled it up 10% with a single action, and remade it. Straight away it looks better and the dimensions feel right.

Now I just need to decide whether to scale up all the rest of the armour pieces by 10% to maintain the size ratio with the helmet, or make it at the original scale and then judge it. I'm thinking I'll scale it up as I'm going to cut it up into foam patterns if I'm happy and that's easier to adjust down.

View attachment 280411
You may need to, but just incase, before printing, you should measure the size and dimensions of your body and check if you will fit through the armor peice. Pepakura has a measure from two points tool that is very helpful. You want to quintuple check everything you do because it sucks when you have to make another peice of armor since the first didnt fit.

i cannot agree more! 10% up or down can make a world of diffrence! i usualy try to keep everything proportionnel, but sometime, there is gonna be some slight diffrence to your body type. all i can say is a slightly undersized chest will look way more out of place then a sligthly oversized one! here is an example of a 10% too small chest from my master chief suit 3 and 1/2 years ago! (the gun is covering it, but we can still see very clearly that it's out of scale with the rest)19905380_10203217872203075_8681210321207183738_n.jpg

Oh yeah.......I know how that feels.......sizing it wrong once or twice......three.........five............ok...ok......it was eight. It was a difficult to measure
ouch... thats sucks, but i bet you learned a fair bit out of all that! on my side i was lucky, i had to re-3D print my spartan Fred helmet after only 1/3 of it (thats when i realised it was 7' spartan size and not for a 5'10'' human size)

I tried 3 different sizing methods, twice over w/ different measurements and 2 mistaken input measurements........so to say I learned something.....no......well yes......I learned how not to make the correct size helmet 8 ways.......:D

And in the end PerniciousDuke was the one who made my helmet that I currently wear.

Last edited:
I'd just like you to know that you are not limited to the 10% quick scale button. Next to it is an option for "set scale" at which point you can change every piece up or down. Your arms might need 5% down, your chest might need 15% up. You never really know until you get your measurements like Dash pointed out. Change it a few millimeters at a time and check the openings until it you can fit your body inside with a little wiggle room.

When scaling the biggest challenge is that everything has to be uniformly auto-scaled. If you change the height, you also have to change the length for example. You can buy the program ArmorSmith which lets you scale non-uniformly.

Unfortunately Pepakura is limited when it comes to changing specific aspects of the dimensions of your armor. Height width and length are all locked together. You change 1 and all get changed. With Armorsmith, all can be changed independently.

Unfortunately Pepakura is limited when it comes to changing specific aspects of the dimensions of your armor. Height width and length are all locked together. You change 1 and all get changed. With Armorsmith, all can be changed independently.
very true, and sometime it gets a bit limiting, specialy when the model itself is not proportianal, but if you can get it close enough, sometime you can get away with doing minor free hand modification to the templates, but that can get quite a bit more difficult when the changes gets more major! so yeah, armorsmith could be very usefull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back