2 projects 1 month, advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c vega117

Jr Member
First off I apologize for the long post and small pictures i dont know why they posted so small sorry.

So hey guys it been a while since i actually posted maybe since september maybe? But anyways im working on 2 main things right now to keep myself busy because at the end of next month ill be shipping to bootcamp for the Marine Corps. Any way some advice would be awesome.

First project and my main main focus is a Deadmau5 head this is what i have so far
th_Picture005.jpg

so far I have it resined and Rondoed the inside my question is does anyone have advice on how to easily bondo the outside to make it more round? i know how to bondo and what not but i think making a something really round is gonna be difficult
th_Picture006.jpg

My second project is that i started working on is an Iron man helmet made of foam so far all i have is the bottom jaw done and im pretty pleased with how it came out seeing as how i destroyed my first attempt with my dremal out of rage. seeing Dracks ironman suitcase build inspired me to attempt one. His looks pretty amazing though so im not going to try and compare my work to his :p

th_Picture011.jpg

th_Picture009.jpg
th_Picture010.jpg
and the last project i was working on was a Pepped and Fiberglasses Iron man Helmet but i ended up making it to tight for my head to fit comfortably so i abandoned the project and dont know what to do with it. any ideas? and if you guys are still reading this again i apologize for the long Rambling post.

th_Picture008.jpg

th_Picture007.jpg

good work, like the iron man helmet. the reason your pics are so small is becuase you chose thumb code, instead of img code. try that next time you upload pics to the site :)

Nice to see a DeadMau5 build on here! Keep with it man!

on a side note - I salute you for your decision to join the military . You deserve some serious respect for wanting to go and serve our country . Cheers man!

- Jacob

You're work looks good. As for Rounding it off. I personally would rondo the inside of it, and sand down thru the paper to get is closer to true round. Then do the light bondo for touch ups. As to the Marines Welcome to the brother hood, I'm always happy to have another brother. Let me know when you've earned the tile. Till then, stay strong both physiologically and physically.

I think you should finish your Iron Man helmet just to get a bit more practice under your belt. You could sell it to a friend with a tiny head later.

So you're going to be a Marine, eh? Stay away from the milk and coffee.

Just reading over what you have going on and from what I can tell from your pics the foam helmet is looking good so far man. In fact it's like seeing a mirror of when I first started mine cause I also started with the jaw. Which ever you decide to coninue with I am sure you will do fine :)

Just reading over what you have going on and from what I can tell from your pics the foam helmet is looking good so far man. In fact it's like seeing a mirror of when I first started mine cause I also started with the jaw. Which ever you decide to coninue with I am sure you will do fine :)

Thanks man I cant wait to see more progres on your suit. Im still trying to get comfrotable with Foam but i got all my pieces cut out so im hoping to get my helmet all put together this weekend.

You're work looks good. As for Rounding it off. I personally would rondo the inside of it, and sand down thru the paper to get is closer to true round. Then do the light bondo for touch ups. As to the Marines Welcome to the brother hood, I'm always happy to have another brother. Let me know when you've earned the tile. Till then, stay strong both physiologically and physically.

Thanks Thorn one of the main reasons i decided to enlist because of the brotherhood and comradery. I already have my sphere rondoed. I did fail to notice a dent that i made when i set the sphere down dry but thats nothing a little bondo can fill, but i am going to try and sanding it down like you suggested. How would you recomend i sand it down though? With powertools followed by hand sanding?

First off I apologize for the long post and small pictures i dont know why they posted so small sorry.

So hey guys it been a while since i actually posted maybe since september maybe? But anyways im working on 2 main things right now to keep myself busy because at the end of next month ill be shipping to bootcamp for the Marine Corps. Any way some advice would be awesome.

First project and my main main focus is a Deadmau5 head this is what i have so far
th_Picture005.jpg

so far I have it resined and Rondoed the inside my question is does anyone have advice on how to easily bondo the outside to make it more round? i know how to bondo and what not but i think making a something really round is gonna be difficult
th_Picture006.jpg

My second project is that i started working on is an Iron man helmet made of foam so far all i have is the bottom jaw done and im pretty pleased with how it came out seeing as how i destroyed my first attempt with my dremal out of rage. seeing Dracks ironman suitcase build inspired me to attempt one. His looks pretty amazing though so im not going to try and compare my work to his :p

th_Picture011.jpg

th_Picture009.jpg
th_Picture010.jpg
and the last project i was working on was a Pepped and Fiberglasses Iron man Helmet but i ended up making it to tight for my head to fit comfortably so i abandoned the project and dont know what to do with it. any ideas? and if you guys are still reading this again i apologize for the long Rambling post.

th_Picture008.jpg

th_Picture007.jpg

you can try to heat up the fibreglass with a heatfeun that way you can bend it so it can fit
(not sure it wil work but u can try)

Power sander. start with a 80grit sand paper and as you get it closer to what you want go to finer 100,200 and such. Watch how fast it go's for you this way. Next tip keep that sander moving, If you let it sit in one spot for to long you'll get an uneven spot. And finely if...IF you should happen to go threw you're Rondo it no problem, just tape a piece of paper over the hole from the outside and add more rondo. Well till next time.

I LOVE FOAM!!!!! its soooo much easier to work with. But i have some bad new for anyone hoping to see my Deadmau5 build...i broke my Phones screen so now i have to pay a $100 insurance deductible so im not gonna have any money to but supplys for my Mau5 build :( Good news is that im actually making good progress on my foam iron man helmet i have most of it done and only need to shape the faceplate to fit on the actual helmet. i would post picture updates but my phone was my main camera and since it was a smartphone i could post pictures more easily from it. wont get it replaced until tuesday tops so stay tuned.

so its been a week or 2 since an actual update so this will be pic heavy. im basically done with the foam ironman helmet but i have a complaint...i think it may be too big? it just feels like i have too much room when i put it on and feel like its too long and it shouldve been smaller, what do you guys think?

IMG_20120227_221038.jpg

IMG_20120227_221016.jpg

IMG_20120227_221103.jpg

This picture was of the faceplate pieces being held together by duct tape so thats why it looks bad.
IMG_20120227_235036.jpg

and this is with the faceplate fully put together im having a little trouble getting it to fit together properly with the actual helmet but i figure its nothing the heat gun wont fix.
IMG_20120228_221741.jpg

IMG_20120228_221759.jpg

sorry for the grainy picture this was taken with my phones frontward camera. Here i put on the helmet just to give you guys an idea of how big it is. the back of my head is touching the back of the helmet and my chin is about 4 inches from the inside of the helmets chin. is this too big or am i just thinking its too big?
IMG_20120228_222235.jpg

IMG_20120228_221919-1.jpg

Let me know your guys opinions or suggestions :D Also does anyone know how to do the eye lenses? i have some spare shop goggles that i can use for the lenses but anyone know a good way to do lights?

The ironman helmets looking well constructed but I might have to agree with you about the sizing. You will find that there is a lot of room at the front of the mask. I have my helmets sides right up against my ears and I still had room in the face plate for 4 9V PP3 batteries. When I started my failed glassed iron man suit I think I ended up peping 5 helmets and only 2 were the right size (1 ironman and 1 war machine). You have 2 choices, stick with the one you got but unless you really baulk the chest and shoulders out your head will look huge or start again. I was lucky that I had made the mistakes and learned the sizing on the pep so I could size my foam one exactly right for my head. Good luck with it and look forward to see how you get on.

Thanks for the feedback Drack. since i want this last project to be good I decided im going to remake it scaled down. I found a helmet tester to use to get the sizing just right and i also found some comments on another post that were very helpful.

Here is the helmet tester if anyone needs it. Credit and thanks to
Dubean33 for his tester file and Mkivtt03 for his sizing tips.
http://www.4shared.com/file/VadTbLlm/Sharkmark_VI_-_Iron_Man_-_Helm.html

Ive already made 3 Test iron man helmets. and 2 actual Peps. I was trying to determine a helmet size that would look proportionate to my body with the armor on me in mind.

Thanks for the Test file Dubean and Helmet files.

The whole Metric measurements through me off too guys so i hope this helps some people.

I wear a hat Size 7 3/8 which is the first size you could consider a littler larger then average

I found that on dubeans helmets if i adjusted the height size to 268 it was pefect for me. the helm has just enough room for a little padding but follows the lines of my skull and facial structure well like the iron man mask is supposed to fit.

i would say that the Standard file size that is set to height of 262 is great for a slightly smaller adult head size.

259 - 263 is a great size for a slightly smaller adult head size and perfect for young adult.

264 - 266 average

267 - 269 height is ideal for someone that wears hat size 7 3/8. Im 5'11 with a stocky sportier build and fits me great.

and my first helm i made before learning more about scaling was 273 complete fail on me. it Fit like a bobble Head hahaha but i have a stocky friend that is about 6 feet tall, and im not sure what his head size is but its def. big. and it seemed to fit him fine. prob could scale it down to 271 for a better fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back