3D printed ODST armor [picture heavy] (All files made available)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, disaster time:
I've printed the first shin piece. And, there's a problem... I can't get my (rather big) feet through it. So, I got out the heatgun, tried to enlarge it in a couple spots to hopefully make it fit better, And it still didn't fit. So, I took out my renovator with a cutting attachment and but off a part of the back, following one of the lines already in the model. Eventually, I got it off and after cleaning it up a bit it fits back (not perfectly, but I might be able to hide it with straps, cloth or other methods)! However, since I was busy trying to heat-form it to my foot, it's slightly different from the normal model Furthermore, Getting it off is still not easy, although it is possible now. The height is pretty good however. Since I already began printing the second one (and it's almost done) I'll have to somehow replicate all steps and hopefully get an uniform right shin piece. It'll be hard, but hopefully possible. Because of this, I'm not going to release my shin files just yet until I figure out a better solution. I'm sorry for this, but I'll do my best. A new update with photo's should be coming this week!
I found the exact same issue with my foam build. I built the same shins as you have. The way I fixed it was to widen the lower half by adding 1/2 spacers.
This might be more work for your build but, have you considered making the shin in two parts that are hinged together and then kept shut with buckles and straps? Another possible work around is have the back part only cover the calves and your ankles are exposed.

I found the exact same issue with my foam build. I built the same shins as you have. The way I fixed it was to widen the lower half by adding 1/2 spacers.
This might be more work for your build but, have you considered making the shin in two parts that are hinged together and then kept shut with buckles and straps? Another possible work around is have the back part only cover the calves and your ankles are exposed.
Great ideas! I might end up doing something like this, but trying to hide the seam would be very difficult. That's why I'm gonna do some weird buckle and strap system on the back to hide the seam hopefully :p A hinge is a good idea, actually. Since it's 3D printed I'd probably be able to print the hinge too. The only problem is that I'm not so good in modelling, so it'd take me a while to learn. I'm just gonna experiment a bit and we'll see

Not much has happened lately. I've finally been done printing the thighs (except for the inner part which is printing now). I had ordered some clothing for my suit and it finally came in!
hkoGjBV.jpg

They're ACU camo pants, 'police'-style all leather padded fingerless gloves (which where very close to the ones seen in odst) and a shemagh which I'll wear to cover the neck, make the costume cooler and cover up laziness in detail :p
I've finished printing the two chins too, and here they are on my legs:
R15JyZy.jpg

Like I said before, it's very tight. I ended up removing a large V from the back so my feet could fit through. Oh well. Their sizing is amazing. I'm happy with them :)
4LNc4Ie.jpg

Here you can see the chin, thigh and the kneepad attached to my ACU pants. The thigh is too big, or at least it feels so. Since printing each of them was about 20 euro's worth of filament I'll not reprint them. I might just be able to make it work, who knows :)

Furthermore, a lot of sanding. Since I almost finished printing all 'original' parts I wanted to attach to the costume, I might print the under armour bit as well. I'm not too sure yet, we'll see.

wow that is looking amazing! it looks a lot stronger than using resin and a whole lot less messy.
Thank you! I've worked with resin before, and yup, the only mess you get by printing the piece itself is the little bits of broken off support that hide in the weirdest places. But whether it's stronger or not, I don't know.. I'm sure it's not as strong as resin at the same thickness. It'd be bulletproof by then :p I'd guess it's about as strong as 3 fiberglass mats in armor. I'm printing at 1.68mm wall thickness and 10% infill btw. But it's definitely quicker, easier and maybe even a bit cheaper (if you ignore the printer's price itself).

So, here we are again! The deadline is getting close, so I'm stepping up my game. It's time to paint, where ether it's entirely perfect or not. (It still breaks my hearth thinking about it).
So to begin, after multiple layers of primer and quick sanding I've finally came to paint a couple parts black
57LYY2e.jpg

The helmet was beginning to look really nice with the paint, and since it has the most work needed after painting I began with that to paint entirely.
udcBqiz.jpg

The first step was to tape off the edges of what I did and didn't want to get painted. I've taped off two sections- the top, and the parts I want gray. This'll give the helmet a nice three-color design which I think turned out really nicely.
6adY9xV.jpg

Getting ready for the red first, since it'll need the most coats and therefor the largest drying time. (The red wasn't as covering as the black)
7lnpF6t.jpg

A nice, thin coat every hour for about 8 times eventually paid of really nicely.
After that, I moved over to the other parts.
JxsqTBh.jpg

This stuff was really covering! The picture attached is only after one relatively thin coat. I eventually went with two.
And after that, it was time to unveil my craft!
FdpYISK.jpg

Removing the tape first...
4kUNMfz.jpg

NFl4N0r.jpg

I think it turned out really nice :)
However, in my excitement, I dropped something..
QIYsUVM.jpg

Ouch.. I quickly dropped what superglue between the seams and pressed it together for two minutes.
AkRkin5.jpg

I guess it's back to filling. It's a sad day indeed :( For the record, I dropped it from about chest-height. I'm surprised the only thing that really failed where the glue seams.
And hey, a package came in from America! It's the visor I ordered
VJVaGzZ.jpg

But.. it's wayy too small. Oh no. Furthermore, it has some minor imperfections like these
LDlGJhq.jpg

I'm really sad they're there, but at least the color is perfect! However, it's hard to see through it. I can't even look out of the lower portion, which sucks.. I tried to heatform it to my helmet, and then..
dL48ArL.jpg

The paint came off.. Oh well, I guess it was to be expected for the price. This does pose a problem through: I GOT NO VISOR! OH NO. So here I am, experimenting with everything I can to get to the deadline. I'll keep you updated
Oh, and another order came in
JjXueQw.jpg

3 new kilograms of my preferred PLA filament. Happy printing!

TnG R1ckx, dude, I'm happy and sad for you. The helmet looks FANTASTIC, and it sucks about the chest piece and visor. If it came in w/ imperfections like those described, I would get in touch w/ whomever you got it from.

Awesome to see more 3D printed armor. Looking great so far!

HI i need the leg file.

Good morning. You have posted this twice now. The author of this thread specifically requested that if anyone needs the files he did not have a Link for, to private message them.

You are both ignoring the direct request of the author of this thread, and spamming by posting the same thing multiple times. I am asking you to refrain from this behavior and in the future please make sure to read all pertinent information in a thread and to not spam or multi post your requests.

What sizing did you use? (plus your build if possible) I want to print a set but not sure about standard armor to body sizing. ( pieces import into my slicer unsized XD)

Hey for vacuum forming have you tried using PETG instead of acrylic? That stuff should work out better.

That is looking awesome :) An ODST is on my To Do List and while the weapons and helmet were to be 3D printed, the rest would be foam. I'm now reconsidering ;)

Looking at some game screenshots as well as the Weta live action adaptation, I actually think the lower leg armour is 2 pieces, as there are some clips and straps. I just can't clearly see or identify where the 2 pieces start and end. Certainly something I'll try to investigate before I begin my build :)

I have also found "spot putty" very effective in helping me to smooth out things. Easily sandable and smooth too.

Hope you found a good visor solution in time!

Wow this is amazing!!!! You have rekindled my desire to print an ODST, I had given up and was just staring at my figurines.

I am going to find out how to PM, Thanks!

I am going to find out how to PM, Thanks!

Click on a members avatar to pop a window up with their information.
upload_2018-4-9_7-28-50.png

Then "Start a Conversation" to get to the messaging section of the forum.

Alternatively, click the Inbox tab on the banner and "Start a New Conversation"

Click on a members avatar to pop a window up with their information.
View attachment 254684
Then "Start a Conversation" to get to the messaging section of the forum.

Alternatively, click the Inbox tab on the banner and "Start a New Conversation"

Thanks Champ.
I solved it with some playwork a bit after posting my reply :) I should have updated my post.

Looks like Op has been offline for a while, so im going to start searching the forum for 3d Models, so I can pull my own legs, and not have to convert from Pep to .stl

Thanks again

Thanks Champ.
I solved it with some playwork a bit after posting my reply :) I should have updated my post.

Looks like Op has been offline for a while, so im going to start searching the forum for 3d Models, so I can pull my own legs, and not have to convert from Pep to .stl

Thanks again
Most files should be in the armory tabs, pep as well as some type of 3d model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back