3D printed ODST armor [picture heavy] (All files made available)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes! Nice to see this thread moving again (Unlike me lol)
Thank you :)

As a continuation of my quest for more mobility (and better scaling), the thigh pieces were next. However, with my old thigh pieces, they felt too big (flopped around) and I couldn't sit in them (due to fear or breaking and because when I did, the front portion raised a lot making me look like an idiot because the back portion was pressed against my bottom). I measured them to be 40 cm's heigh.

I'm struggling to choose between reprinting the thigh pieces smaller (a weak prototype is 500 grams of filament and almost 2 days of printing, not something I want to screw up), or using the landfall or reach's ODST thigh armor which is just a plate that attaches to the side of the leg. This way I can sit and it's hopefully more comfortable. I tried searching the 405th for examples of both and experiences with them but nobody mentions sitting in their armor and how well it goes :( Furthermore, models for landfall ODST thighs are surprisingly lacking, so I'll have to design them on my own. Furthermore, the reach and landfall ODST thigh pieces are radically different from the halo 3 ODST pieces, which is the suit I'm aiming for with accuracy.

Does any of you have experience with this? I'd love some input before I make such a decision. :)

I'm struggling to choose between reprinting the thigh pieces smaller (a weak prototype is 500 grams of filament and almost 2 days of printing, not something I want to screw up).

Does any of you have experience with this? I'd love some input before I make such a decision. :)

Maybe you could just print a few cross sections to test the fit, like I did with my ODST helmet;

Thank you :)

As a continuation of my quest for more mobility (and better scaling), the thigh pieces were next. However, with my old thigh pieces, they felt too big (flopped around) and I couldn't sit in them (due to fear or breaking and because when I did, the front portion raised a lot making me look like an idiot because the back portion was pressed against my bottom). I measured them to be 40 cm's heigh.

I'm struggling to choose between reprinting the thigh pieces smaller (a weak prototype is 500 grams of filament and almost 2 days of printing, not something I want to screw up), or using the landfall or reach's ODST thigh armor which is just a plate that attaches to the side of the leg. This way I can sit and it's hopefully more comfortable. I tried searching the 405th for examples of both and experiences with them but nobody mentions sitting in their armor and how well it goes :( Furthermore, models for landfall ODST thighs are surprisingly lacking, so I'll have to design them on my own. Furthermore, the reach and landfall ODST thigh pieces are radically different from the halo 3 ODST pieces, which is the suit I'm aiming for with accuracy.

I haven't really printed any armor pieces yet as I'm still doing some modelling (Want to make sure that its look correct to the eye once completed)

As for the thighs, I'm dry on the landfall thighs as well. There aren't enough good reference photos out there for me to make one. If there was, I'd feel free to share the model.

In regards to the scaling issue, you could find a basic human 3d model online and scale it to your height etc. and put the armor pieces over to see if looks right.

Hello All,
New to the community but not new to 3D printing.

This is an awsome thread and I would love to become part of the 405th.

Can Somone point me in the right direction for files as I cant wait to get started?

Thanks

CptBadger

Hello All,
New to the community but not new to 3D printing.

This is an awsome thread and I would love to become part of the 405th.

Can Somone point me in the right direction for files as I cant wait to get started?

Thanks

CptBadger

First, quick note, this thread is over a year old. The last reply was made in February of 2020. Usually around here we encourage people to not post in or "Bump" threads that have not been replied to in over six months as it is usually considered "Nero-Posting" and poor internet etiquette in a lot of communities, as it pushes down and hides current, active threads.

As for your question, the files used in this specific build are linked to and broken down in the first post of this thread. If you are looking for different files, I would direct you to the "Free 3-D Model Index" maintained here:

First, quick note, this thread is over a year old. The last reply was made in February of 2020. Usually around here we encourage people to not post in or "Bump" threads that have not been replied to in over six months as it is usually considered "Nero-Posting" and poor internet etiquette in a lot of communities, as it pushes down and hides current, active threads.

As for your question, the files used in this specific build are linked to and broken down in the first post of this thread. IF you are looking for different files, I would direct you to te "Free 3-D Model Index" maintained here:
Thanks for that Cadet, I will bear this in mind and be sure not to make that same mistake again.

I will go look for the files.

Thanks Again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back