405th Logo Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
As with so many other things within this community, we are bringing a fresh approach to the look of the core logo.

Logo History

Now... I won't claim to know the entire history of the community's identity, but this is one of the earliest versions of the logo I could find from around August of 2007.

405th-Logo-2007-08.jpg

Which eventually appeared on the website around Oct of 2007.

405th-Logo-2007-10.gif

I am not sure exactly when the current logo was first created (roughly ~2008) but Adam shared some of the very earliest versions of it with me:

405th-Logo-Trinity-1.jpg

405th-Logo-Trinity-2.jpg

This triskelion-styled design with three hexagons and the (Halo) ring eventually gave way to our current logo:

405th-Logo-Trinity-Final.jpg

Updated Logo

In approaching the new logo, we hired Ever and Oak to help us. Douglas is a friend (and long time RPFer) and understands these type of communities, where a typical design company probably wouldn't truly get the nature of what we do. In talking with him I told him that I did not want a NEW logo as much as I wanted a new take on the existing logo as so many within the community identify with it. I asked him to keep the core elements of the logo:

• The ring - representing Earth.
  • The three stars - representing the core values of our community: honor, armor and unity
  • The three hexagons - represent you, the building blocks of our community, who hold our values at your core
  • The eagle - which has long represented a fighting force, most notably in history, the Roman Legion, but more currently, the US Marine Corps
  • The wreath - from the UN and UEG insignia, a symbol of the peace the UNSC are striving toward

I also asked that Douglas give us a design that didn't exactly mimic any specific Halo design, but had a feel that would fit into the Halo universe. I also asked him to limit the color palette to two, subdued colors (in addition to black and white) and make the logo something that we could easily break down into more simple forms for various uses. For anyone who knows anything about design, it is much harder to recreate something than to create something from scratch and my list of needs was no small task.

With that being said, Douglas brought back to me a stunning update to our logo that addressed EVERY concern I had and did so in a fantastic way!

I hate to start on a bad note, but before you scroll further (stop scrolling... stop!), PLEASE DO NOT USE THE NEW LOGO FOR ANY IMAGERY AT THIS TIME! Over the next few days, we will be setting up new logo usage guidelines and providing high-resolution artwork for approved usage. Again, please do not use this logo in part or whole at this point!

Here is our new full logo for the 405th Division:

405th-offical-full-logo-vertical.png

Here is a horizontal variation:

405th-offical-logo-horizontal.png

And very importantly, the logo can be broken down into smaller components... such as ranks:

405th-offical-logo-breakdown1.png

... or it could also be used to represent the progression that so many of us make from small and simply things to complex and difficult things:

405th-offical-logo-breakdown2.png

And here is just an example of me playing around in Photoshop...
405th-logo-3D.jpg

No matter how you look at it, this is a strong update to the community's identity, paying homage to what has come before, while giving us something more versatile and usable for what is ahead!

Here is a chance to see the evolution of the community identity, side by side:

405th-logo-history.jpg

I know I said it before, but I want to remind you again - DON'T SKIP THIS!
While I am confident you are excited about the new logo, PLEASE DO NOT USE IT FOR ANY IMAGERY AT THIS TIME! Over the next few days, we will be setting up new logo usage guidelines and providing high-resolution artwork for approved usage. Again, please do not use this logo in part or whole at this point!

So, where do we go from here? As we continue to update the site and social media venues, we will be adding in the new logo (as well as offering swag with the new logo). We will also be setting new guidelines so you too can use the logo in support of your community!

Attachments

• 405th-offical-full-logo-vertical.png
    405th-offical-full-logo-vertical.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 837
I just received my patches and stickers. Very nice quality, but the size is off- too big for Sean Bradley shoulders. Any thoughts? I would hate to have waisted $ and not get to use them.
ecdd217625dc3622f6e18850d2e575b1.jpg

b45a01ecb17c9f49810c27d927c4a4cb.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk.

Attachments

• ecdd217625dc3622f6e18850d2e575b1.jpg
    ecdd217625dc3622f6e18850d2e575b1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 257
  • b45a01ecb17c9f49810c27d927c4a4cb.jpg
    b45a01ecb17c9f49810c27d927c4a4cb.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 238
Upvote 0
Stick them somewhere else! Nobody ever said that the patches were designed solely for use on the shoulders, get creative!

Upvote 0
Why not simply download the vector artwork, import into a graphics application, scale it to the desired size, then print it onto label paper? A light misting of clear coat will seal it up for durability.

Upvote 0
Chernobyl: I'm very ocd about keeping my armor canon, and the battalion emblem goes on the right shoulder.

RobotChicken: that is all alien territory to me, plus I work 40-50 hours a week, so learning all that is going to be a drain on my remaining free time.

I've found a couple threads around the site where other users are volunteering to print logos. I don't feel too bad doing it that way, now that i have payed the 405th for it. Maybe we can convince them to offer more sizes on the official store.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Upvote 0
Not sure how that will go regarding the rules for using the official logo (Identify Guidelines). I'll have to check before I do that, but it could work. Thanks.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Upvote 0
tthis is how i put the logo i choose to put the recruit rank in the head maybe put some other little details in the rest of the armour

13235770_10153459805511846_359191161_n.jpg

13233177_10153459805446846_1147004521_n.jpg

Upvote 0
Looks nice. I already have my Halo 3 emblem on the back of my helmet and standard UNSC emblems as appropriate around the sides and front.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Upvote 0
Myr, what about cutting off the 405th bit at the bottom?
Worked out pretty well. And the identity guidelines were a little unclear on this- they show the logo minus the letters, but only in the 1- 2- and 3-color variants, not the full color variant.

Update: Our Division Identity Officer Asgardianhammer has agreed to help me get my hands on a complete logo of the right size. Sounds like chopping the letters off was not preferred.

0e5c79741313bdfbc59ca95ebeef8981.jpg

50bea6280b2261101d02ccb0ebee1dfc.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk.

Attachments

• 0e5c79741313bdfbc59ca95ebeef8981.jpg
    0e5c79741313bdfbc59ca95ebeef8981.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 50bea6280b2261101d02ccb0ebee1dfc.jpg
    50bea6280b2261101d02ccb0ebee1dfc.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0
Status