A 405th Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I'm going to donate the plastic used to make the casts so that the people who actually had a part in making it don't have to do anything else. For the most part, the creators of the splaser are going to get theirs for free. I will be paying for mine through the donation of plastic for you guys. I think that's more than enough to get one.

angry_cabbage said:
Actually, I'm going to donate the plastic used to make the casts so that the people who actually had a part in making it don't have to do anything else. For the most part, the creators of the splaser are going to get theirs for free. I will be paying for mine through the donation of plastic for you guys. I think that's more than enough to get one.
Great idea, in my opinion that's definitely enough to get one. Advent?

Last edited by a moderator:
sharkhead7854 said:
Great idea, in my opinion that's definitely enough to get one. Advent?
Me and Advent actually came up with the idea and asked him if that was OK with him, To which he agreed.

A great donation, Thankyou very much Cabbage.

I know you guys were talking about the fact that Advent and the Stig both live in the UK and how would the shipping be but have any of you thought about the possible Customs issues of shipping such a thing like a Spartan Laser prop to the UK when it is complete. I only say this because I have heard of weapon type props that never made it to their destination because of Customs Issues. Just a little food for thought and I would like to add that I am rooting for you all and I can't wait to see how this team effort turns out. I would have put my name in the mix for the painting but it's been far too long since I had any practice so I leave it to you. Good Luck.

ContractKiller said:
I know you guys were talking about the fact that Advent and the Stig both live in the UK and how would the shipping be but have any of you thought about the possible Customs issues of shipping such a thing like a Spartan Laser prop to the UK when it is complete. I only say this because I have heard of weapon type props that never made it to their destination because of Customs Issues. Just a little food for thought and I would like to add that I am rooting for you all and I can't wait to see how this team effort turns out. I would have put my name in the mix for the painting but it's been far too long since I had any practice so I leave it to you. Good Luck.
Uh... whats customs?.... >___>
Dude now I'm close to feeling really bummed lol

well if godsarmor got the pms and read the topic then hopefully he will split the prop into peices and if they stay in that state then they can be cast by ithica in peices that we just attach when we get them so customs shouldn't be a problem fingers crossed

as the stig said we think that it's a generous donation and he will definently get a splaser for it
thankyou angry cabbage

ok sorry for the X2 post but here is the new list
Cutting and scoring - spaz47 (Complete)
Glue, resin and seperate - godsarmor (in the post)
reinforce - Thestig
Bondo -sharkhead
Molding - ithica
Casting supplies - angry cabbage
Painting tutorial and recommended paint -portalman
Lights and other details - advent
advents personal assistant -The stig

ok the next issue on the agender is who will keep the original build
any suggestions or comments?

I think that is acceptable for supplies. And It makes it cheaper for some of us. Thank you angry_cabbage

@ advent: you were asking how wide the barrel is. Just print out the barrel pieces and put it together and you can find the diameter.

Didn't someone suggest that the original be put in the 405th museum? To be honest i don't know where that is.

Also how thick are each of the casts going to be? I'm going to have to start shipping the stuff eventually and i want to know how much i am going to have to buy.

Can someone give me an estimate on how much plastic will be needed? I don't have paypal so I will just supply whatever the caster requests to get one.

I am seriously impressed on how well everyone jumped on this, and I think this could easily become something worth doing more often! Though I think it should be contained to weapons, or at least suits that haven't been done, for a couple reasons. First, if we offer any 405th member to get a suit of Mk. VI at expense cost, then anybody who is trying to sell Mk. VI to make some profit for, say, molding material will not be able to do so. I wouldn't pay extra for something of the same model unless there is an astounding quality and detail difference. Second, there aren't that many weapon molds out there. There are a couple AR's and pistols, and one SMG I think, but for the most part they are hard to find. Now that you've done something big (Splazer) I vote the next choice is a smaller model, preferably an SMG for its lack of other people selling them.

I would be more than willing to help with whatever the next model is, seeing as how this one is full now! I have a pretty steady hand and am a fair cutter/scorer, and I would also be willing to paint or fiberglass the inside. I don't think I would be too good at assembling the SMG, and unfortunately I don't have the kind of budget that can afford molding materials for something that isn't staying with me.

Can't wait to see progress pictures!

I think this is a good idea but I also think there can be to many people involved. The issue is not the cost because there are only trial kits and gallon kits so you can not base it off of how much the projects take in plastic. Another issue I forsee is this: The person molding (in this case myself) is allowed to keep the mold BUT when we decide to do all casts at cost of plastic and shipping it will create a few issues. The molding process will be the most time consuming and costly. Those of you who have done this know what I mean. If we do this at cost then I would never regain lost money and there is one other issue. Because they wil be at cost I will never stop casting. To many people will want them and you can't blame them. I am a very busy man with a huge hobby, family and carreer. I do not even have enough time really for my projects and the teams projects. I do not want to discourage anyone that wants to do the project but people must know what they are getting into. The people doing pepp and bondo must be good at what they do because your work is what is being duplicated and will make this mission a failure or success. I have to be honest on something else as well. I do not think that the first 4 steps are needed. I think one person can do the score, pepp, glue and bondo. There shouldn't be a "reinforce" at all because it should not need it. I think that we are trying to add as many people to the project as possible. I am sorry if this sounds mean but it is just reality. I will prob spend at least $500.00 on molding supplies when someone scores and we both have the same outcome. There has to be a better way to do this to divy up the work and cost to make it more of an equal team effort. I look forward to hearing solutions.

Ithica

@ Ithica Even though All I did was print score, and Cutt I am willing to help pay for molding supplies and shipping but I do know what you mean with who has a lot of work and not. But this is also an experiment. I am also hesitant about how you said you will make cast and sell them for the lost money but I think its kinda unfair that as a group we did the biggest weapon and others just pay money for it. I think would should all pay an equal amount and it be a limited run for those that helped. You should keep the mold though. Its a possible solution and when we split it up enough it makes all the costs go down too so finding the right amount of people is the problem so that it is not $500 for you and $20 for me. It will be 80 or somethin for all of us.

@ chuapathingy The point of this website is to build your own armor. Selling it to anyone is not what we want. We do small projects because its a group effort and we make our money back. I will take more pride in my suit then buying one that some one else put the effort into. And only if you are dedicated will you be able to make a full suit.This is a experiment and no other projects like this are up for the moment.

As much as I hate to admit it I do agree with Ithica...
I just thought "Oh look a group effort thing, sure I'll put my name down"
What I didn't expect was to find out that the piece was on its way to me the next day or so.
It's gone quick which is good but in my opinion it's gone TOO quick.
It's all too sudden.
Scaling, Printing, Cutting, Glueing and Resining can be done by one person (One very non-lazy person).
Reinforcing is needed...
I don't know where that came from Ithica but last time I checked putting bondo on a piece that's only been resin'd will just fall to pieces, Especially while sanding I know this from personal experience.
I understand Reinforcing is a small job and compared to Bondoing/sanding which is a very difficult job that I may not be contributing enough.
But lets think logically here.
Me
Advent
Godsarmor
sharkhead
cabbage
spaz

Are the only ones involved.
We are paying for the molding/casting materials ourselves and Cabbage is donating towards it. (seeing as he isn't actually helping).
Ithica, We're asking for 6 casts. That is all.
I suppose we'll be paying Ithica for his troubles so...
People involved pay an amount of money to cover a fraction of the casting supplies.
As the other fraction is payed for by angry cabbage.
Then the same people involved including cabbage pay some more cash towards Ithica for his trouble.
Seeing as Molding is a time-consuming process, and Ithica does it best, Perhaps to add to the cash we're paying Ithica for his troubles, we should throw in the original laser with it?
Not only does Ithica recieve cash for supplies. Cash for his trouble, and a Splaser mold, but now the original Splazer too.
To be honest i think that's a fair deal.

Anyone object?

Ithica your thoughts?

Spaz: Thats what i'm saying, if this ever gets tried again, i'm saying we shouldn't do armor. As for me personally, even if I could buy someone else's suit in lieu of building my own, I wouldn't. Too an extent, I disagree with you on one point though. You said "Selling it to anyone is not what we want." If someone didn't want their armor or weapons sold for any reason they simply wouldn't sell them. I'm not talking about mass production of these things at all. But I can honestly say when I finally do get around to molding a helmet of my design, I would sell casts of it to (a set me back on materials spent, and (b show off what I did in a more dramatic manner than pictures of me posing. And I wouldn't know what to do with 20 identical plastic Master Chief helmets lying around the garage.

Ithica: Your the man making the mold and I understand your time is exceptionally valuable, and it is up to you whether it goes to anyone other than creators. What i'm trying to say is, I don't have any other way of paying for a Splazer once the mold is made. I'm trying to figure a way for me to acquire one without a paypal account. So if you tell me what you want me to do to acquire one, i'll see if I can do it. Whether that means setting you back with plastic and more molding materials, mailing a check or whatever, I am just trying to work around my financial handicap. And I only said cost is at expense because I heard someone say that earlier, and I hadn't heard any objections to it. That was just a placeholder, I will be more than happy to pay WHATEVER (sane) number you come up with. I don't want you losing money on this, and i'm more than willing to start reimbursing you back some of what you spent. I see no reason that the creator(s) shouldn't make money off this, even as a group project.

EDIT: So am I hearing no splazers for sale.........

I am truly sorry if I cam e across being an a$$. I did not mean to. I may have misunderstood somethings. I am truly hoping this comes out as great as it can. Let roll with the punches. I do not need any extra money at all. The original on display would be nice. Having casting rights is another great option. If I had a set amount to do at cost and keep the casting rights then I would be happy.

On a side note. I do not know what level people work at sooooo I would like a neutral 3rd party inspector prior to me molding to make sure that it is to a high standard and ready to mold.

Ithica

I was actually about to apologize to your for being selfish and trying to get one without actually having worked on it. I have earned nothing and it is entirely up to the makers who deserve that control. Believe me, just for volunteering to do the molding, you couldn't come off as an a$$ at this point.

I believe you were the neutral third party, unless i'm mistaken. I would volunteer to be the inspector if you really thought you needed one, but I am going to be gone in California and Ohio literally, 2/3rds of the summer. So unless it is not ready to be inspected until after about august 25th, I can't do it :( I keep not being able to help, GAH!

I dont like continuing to beat on this drum, but I still don't quite understand if you are going to take advantage of you casting rights to sell casts or not. and i'm sorry I keep going after this, but i'm really interested.

Chupathingy said:
I was actually about to apologize to your for being selfish and trying to get one without actually having worked on it. I have earned nothing and it is entirely up to the makers who deserve that control. Believe me, just for volunteering to do the molding, you couldn't come off as an a$$ at this point.

I believe you were the neutral third party, unless i'm mistaken. I would volunteer to be the inspector if you really thought you needed one, but I am going to be gone in California and Ohio literally, 2/3rds of the summer. So unless it is not ready to be inspected until after about august 25th, I can't do it :( I keep not being able to help, GAH!

I dont like continuing to beat on this drum, but I still don't quite understand if you are going to take advantage of you casting rights to sell casts or not. and i'm sorry I keep going after this, but i'm really interested.
Ithica is keeping the original and the mold.
Whether he decides to make more casts and sell them or to make only 6 for the group, Is completely up to him.
If he decides to make more casts afterwards, and sell them, He decides the price, He decides who to, As he owns the rights to it.
Ithica hasn't ACTUALLY said if he'll be making more casts to sell outside the "party", He may not at all but I doubt that.
Let's wait til the product is actually finished, for all we know it could be awful and non mold-worthy.

PS:
Ithica I think you may have misunderstood me, I wasn't calling you an A$$, quite the opposite, I was just trying to come up with a good solution. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back