A 405th Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe me, I won't let anything less than perfect run by me for my part of the process. I'm in charge of bondo and I've got a few gallons here ready to fix even the worst of problems XD (of course the less needed the better)
Also the post above holds truth, a hollow object does stand a good chance of breaking/warping when sanding =\
But Ithica, like chupathingy said, wouldn't you make a good inspector? I mean I see the projects you work on and they look to be at the highest standards. While I work on it I plan on posting pictures and high def videos to show the team how it's going since I'll be doing the last step before casting.

yeah sorry bout meh thread, had lots of final exam studying to do! ^^"
I'm sure we will prove ya wrong! :p
yes there are many people involved but the point was to get multiple people to work on 1 piece together. Too many people? Hey, it's possible ^^ but I guess that's why the threads named "405th experiment" lol
I don't know about the rest of our team but I'm just psyched that I'll get to be a part of making a prop with fellow 405thers. Personally I wouldn't mind too much if the splazer some how got to me and it looked like a mishapen cat (hey I'd actually find it funny XD) it's still pretty cool imo.

The idea is good, and I'm sure it's going to work, some time.

But it stills needs improvment. Like DeardMullet said, too many people, too many chances of messing up, too many times this laser is going to be shipped around the world.

ok before this gets out of hand
the reason there are so many people involved is because this started out going to be an experiment on building a prop then it was decided to make it a weapon and the vote turned out splaser
As my topic title says experiment
the experiment was to see what people from the comunity could build
various members were chosen on their merits and it wasn't just dibs
part of the choosing criteria was previous works
sharkhead with his work on the ironman
ithica for he's work alround
The stig who is working on killzone with out some of the 'basic' tools but has still been producing greatwork
portalman has done better costumes then most members and has done a load of them
spaz47 and godsarmor were wildcards as i didn't want this to be just experienced builders and that some other people should get a peice of the splaser pie

Ithica will get the original and i will be sending him the finishing details to him free

personally i dont care if the whole 405th is watching this on a cinema screen tv this was originally for fun and ive seen simpiler builds go bottoms up
so i agree with the mishaped cat
and one last point
some people cant do this on a small closeby scale because there aren't people near that can join in
the stig is the only person in the uk who actually decided that he wanted in and had the chance too were as another member i spoke to would have given his left arm to join in but didn't have the time

@lastspartan
unless america is 'The World' then true otherwise it is only getting shipped to england and back once the rest of the time it's going around the us

that is all
ASM

adventSpartanMatrix said:
LastSpartan
unless america is 'The World' then true otherwise it is only getting shipped to england and back once the rest of the time it's going around the us

that is all
ASM

If you ever shipped something to UK, you would know it takes lots of times, costs money, and there customs are not so cool with so called prop weapons.

Just saying, no need to get mad.

Plus, I'm sorry, but someguy is resining then shipping to UK just to fiberglass it? Why wouldn't the first guy do both? He still ruins a brush.

Plus #2, if painting is done in Australia, painting for someone experienced takes about 45 minutes while cutting/scoring/gluing takes days and bondo days as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, thought i would chime in, advent asked me to do the painting and i figured why not, im sure all of you can agree my skills are on par with most here. (if you need further proof of this, please ask)

LS- It would not be shipped to Australia to be painted, from what i have gathered i would simply be creating a detailed painting tutorial for others to follow when they receive their finished cast.
Also, painting takes longer than 45 mins, especially with the detail i put into my work :)

As far as shipping overseas go, have it completed up to a stage in the UK (lets say the ready to bondo stage or ready to detail stage) then sent over to the US for bondo work, detailing, finishing and molding. I don't know how this would effect the people who want to do what, i honestly didn't read the whole thread, but this is the logical way to do it.

Ithica- as to having a third party inspect it, nice idea, or better yet, have it inspected by many 405th members at one of your gatherings? I'm also seriously impressed that your willing to put in all this effort, molding something that size is no easy task, i know.

Just to add, even though this has already been decided, the person with the molds keeps the master, in case something was to happen to the molds.

ok to clarify
portalman will be getting a cast he will then paint and add detail and will make this as part of a detailed tutorial for the other build members

as of this point i ask that
if you don't have anything to do with the actual build then do not post comment on what we should have done as it is too late
and at the point in time only people on the list will get a cast for the moment untill a WHOLE group discusion can be made

as i said previously this is a community last i cheaked that involved more then just the US if i choose to include people from more then one country to do a different step then you should accept it.
no one invloved with the project has complained so this means that you do not have the right to

im sorry if this sound like im annoyed but if you were that bothered about what i am doing then you should have spoken up BEFORE this got to the stage it is at now.

@lastspartan
the customs is the reason why this will be shipped in peices as stated in one of my last posts

p0rtalman said:
As far as shipping overseas go, have it completed up to a stage in the UK (lets say the ready to bondo stage or ready to detail stage) then sent over to the US for bondo work, detailing, finishing and molding. I don't know how this would effect the people who want to do what, i honestly didn't read the whole thread, but this is the logical way to do it.
I believe it's being put together and resined here in the US, then sent to the UK for reinforcement, then back to the US so I can do bondo and ship it over to Ithica

im not great at bondoing but am pretty fast at lining and cutting and it was alreadyhalf done that is why I signed up to it. if you check my last topic u will see that i have done a full suit and LD detailed helmet with bondo. but I do have experience.

ok to clarify
portalman will be getting a cast he will then paint and add detail and will make this as part of a detailed tutorial for the other build members

as of this point i ask that
if you don't have anything to do with the actual build then do not post comment on what we should have done as it is too late
and at the point in time only people on the list will get a cast for the moment untill a WHOLE group discusion can be made

as i said previously this is a community last i cheaked that involved more then just the US if i choose to include people from more then one country to do a different step then you should accept it.
no one invloved with the project has complained so this means that you do not have the right to

im sorry if this sound like im annoyed but if you were that bothered about what i am doing then you should have spoken up BEFORE this got to the stage it is at now.

LastSpartan
the customs is the reason why this will be shipped in peices as stated in one of my last posts

Mate, this is a forum, you can't unauthorize comments.

I wasn't saying it is not possible to make a group prop.

That's pretty much the meaning of the work experiment. Try and improve later on.

It can be done, I was just feeling maybe it was going way too fast.

He's not trying to act as a moderator he's just saying he would prefer if people other than the team would stop commenting as it seems to be turning into a "you guys did some crappy planning" conversation now. I understand why he's annoyed. And maybe some of the people commenting don't mean for it to sound that way but that's kinda how most bystanders in the thread come off as.

you cant decide who can and who cant post in your thread... if you dont want people other than the group posting, take it to PMs or AIM...

i edited my posts because i didnt want to contribute to the pointless arguing anymore... but advent you might also try biting your tongue, you are just inviting further arguing...The stig also deleted one of his posts, to try and prevent further arguing...

wait what? i thought we all lived in the US... i just thought the UK was a small town in Oregon...
thank you for pointing out the obvious... and no one even implied that everyone was in the US, some of our best builders are outside of the US... i know shocking right?

it was only suggested that you guys might consider working with folks in your area, to cut back on shipping time and cost.

I have to agree with LastSpartan.
Its going all the way over the pond to Reece (The Stig) just to be fiberglassed or whatever?
When that could easily be done by the guy before it doing it, or things like that. I realize its a group effort but efficiency also takes place as well. You dont want to have deadly shipping costs so then nobody can even afford to mold it in the end? I think that its a great idea, but it really needs to be planned out better, in my opinion.

ok there seems to be some miss understandings on this topic

This was not saying everyone was from the us it was saying that there are more community members outside of a single country that would maybe want to have some FUN

secondly the saying that you cant post if you read what i put properly

it says that if you are not partaking in the actual process that i ask you to stop posting comments on what we should have done
as this is plain annoying it's too late to change so plz live with it untill a later date
i do not go into your WIP's and say oh you should have used a finer grain of sand paper or that colour doesn't really work on your armour after it is completed
if i do another one of these then i will gladly take on anything that can be done but this is an EXPERIMENT as in try something and improve just like every member has experimented with their builds yeah we may go through three different trys till we get it right but iv'e seen members make 8 different mrk vi helms and then get it right and make a perfect peice i only ask for the same respect
if this gets anymore out of hand i will ask the mods to lock the topic till there is some progress as this is just turning into a nuisence and i think everyone remembers what happened on the ring topic.
thankyou and goodnight
ASM

Just want to point this out, you said you will ship the laser to the uk after it's been resined in multiparts.

Just so you know, it may not work since the piece could disform in shipping and when fiberglassed, not fit together.

now, if you don't want advices on steps you have reached yet,

I'm out, and unsuscribed to this topic. Do not quote me on this or explain to me, I don't care.

Good luck with your experiment.

EDIT : I have nothing against UK/Australia members.

this seems really cool. as far as credit, you guys should make it like a military serial on one side of it so there will be like, major bragging rights to a project like this. which i think is very cool by the way. its nice to see the community come together to work on a project. the multitude of different skills and talents that each person has coming together on one project is exciting.

was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a little experiment with me
basicaly i would involve making a mrk vi helm and it being a team effort so basically
i size and print as well as craft a led set and then post that to the next person who scores and cuts and them sends to the next person and so on till the helm is complete
just for a bit of fun and to see how fast we can do it
the finished helm would then goto a place thatwould be agreed on by the group
how does this sound
I'll install the visor and LED's fo sho man, also shipping won't be hard for me after all I'm in Corpus Christi. Oh and I did one of my friends visor's and i didn't leave it flat like most do, I added the markings on chief's.

iliketacos95 said:
I'll install the visor and LED's fo sho man, also shipping won't be hard for me after all I'm in Corpus Christi. Oh and I did one of my friends visor's and i didn't leave it flat like most do, I added the markings on chief's.

you might want to read abit further into the topic mate
we decided against making armour and are now making a splaser

ok members im sorry to inform you that it appears that a member has ninja'd the project this is because he has not replied to any of the pm's he has been sent when he has been online numerous times

spaz47 ive sent you a pm about this

@the person im reffering to if you have an explination we would like to know it NOW or you will be named and shamed

we want an explination by friday 12am GMT or else

p.s adam has been informed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back