A build diary. Halo Reach - Emile armour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IodineSoup

Out of boredom I decided to start a project that I can spend a few hours a week just noodling about on it slowly. Also a very therapeutic way to de-stress myself from work.

Latest post here

Having decided on building myself a set of Emile's armour from Reach, I set myself a dateline to complete this little project by June next year. So here's hoping I will get it done by then. Hopefully before succumbing to loss of blood from paper cuts and/or poisoning from resin fumes.

Pepakura was a natural choice since it would be a hell lot more fun to really do this from scratch. So I got started by making my own 3DCG model

And then comes the fun part.
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

And as of now, this is how it is after one layer of resin on it.
And when I said slowly, I do mean slowly, that was pretty much one month's work...
So far, the problems I can see are the top of the helmet is starting to sink in a bit. Probably will putty the volume back in. Hopefully after another layer of resin and fiber glassing on the inside, I can sand it down to be all curvy smooth and fancy-like.

Thought it would be nice posting progress reports here for motivation, encouragement and advice when I run into a snag.

Cheers.

I'm glad you are posting this! I have decided to actually make myself Kat's suite and my twin brother Emile's suite. Things is I only have until April 16th which id only a few months away, so I have to get a hurry on. At least I will have your WIP to look at when I'm building his!
Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see more
-PmsProxy.

(PS) Ill be watching this topic with a close eye!

WOW! That looks really good, nice model on the helmet, im sure you can smooth it back out with body filler! Any idea how you are gonna do the visor? That's definitely my favorite part of emile's setup.

Duuuude awsomesause.. I want to make the entire armor.. I dont have any 3D modleing skills what so ever.. did you by any chance blue printify the whole thing?

Currently the helmet is fiber glassed. In hindsight, fiber glassing is probably an uneccessary procedure. I would have been satisfied with just a few layers of resin outside and in. Definitely less warm too.

Currently the resin still gives off a horribly pungent odor and it has been a week. Here's hoping the year long tropical sun and climate of Singapore will take care that. Else I will have to scrap the helmet.

regre3t >

The visor is going to use the pepped visor as a base. Plastering and sculpting over it before vacuum forming the visor from it. It is a long shot but I hope it works.

blowing bomb >

Stupidly, the helmet consists of around 350 pieces . Mostly from my desire to have certain details preserved on the model and my inexperience with the pepakura application.

tsukides >

I apologise for sounding selfish but I would like to hold on to my pepakura files for now. Also to make sure something can be made from my files in the first place before tweaking it for efficiency and releasing them into the wild.
As mentioned above, the 350ish piece count is kind of obscene and could be better.
I hope you will hang around till then. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back