a good tut on how to make a cheap mold from caulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
update! this method works! just be sure to have a release agent on the part before molding
P6240001.jpg

just gonna copy/paste a point i made about this same topic in another thread rather than rewriting it.

Most tin cure silicons and urethane rubbers are on average 80-100 from smoothon for a gallon kit (that's 1 gallon of partA + 1 gallon of partB = 2 gallons total)

most silicon caulking is roughly 3-5 dollars per tube. And are 10-12 ounces in a tube, meaning that it takes up to 10-13 tubes to make a single gallon.

And 20-26 to make the same amount as a gallon kit of a 1:1 mix silicon or urethane from smooth-on.

What am I getting at here?

That silicon caulking can be anywhere from 75 to 130 dollars for 2 gallons, or you can spend the exact same amount or less on a urethane rubber or tin silicon from smooth-on and get a MUCH higher quality end product.

ya if you are dumb enough to spend that much on caulk. i spend $2.50 a tube from wal mart and that knee only took half a tube but i used the whole thing for extra strength. and that smooth-on rubber is not only expensive but if you screw up then you're out allot more money then with the caulk. 1 gallon of rebound cost $175

as for the caulk. I've made 2 cast and both released well and the mold will probably last as long or longer then rebound. and i use petroleum jelly as a release agent

So, you put Vaseline on the object to mold before putting the caulk on it?
I mean, I don't understand how the caulk would stick on the mold o_O

And this should definitely be stickied :D

put a thin coat of petroleum jelly or Vaseline on the object so it's easier to remove from the mold. i do the same to the mold before i cast so it's easier to pull and if you do this your mold will last longer

thanks for the article. the more tuts we have on this, the more people can find out and learn on their own!

Hey man thanks for the post this is a great tut and would be something fun and cheap to experiment with.

ya, seal it with polyurethane or some fiber glass resin. then you can mold it. still use some release agent. it really helps!

Would any changes be necessary to use fiberglass with this? I.e to reinforce the mold? And what could you use to make casts with, instead of plaster?

what i did is replace all the plaster with fiberglass. the jacket, the casting material, all the plaster is now fiber glass. and it works well. I've made 2 casts for myself and i just finish molding the shoulder and will put the jacket on it later.

BTW that means both knee casts are ready, and soon shoulder casts will be up for sell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back