A Question About Time and Money....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seno Ypsamee

Hey people, I know most of you probably think I'm a total n00b with all these questions, but I need to know this stuff seeing as I have no means of income besides my parents (I'm 14 for Heaven's sake, what do you expect?) so I just wanted to know how much time and money I'm going to put into a Pepakura project?

From cardstock, to painted, bondoed for details, resined/glassed. It's probably be around 300-400 dollars. You'd spend the better part of around 100 hours making it.

not quite that much..... to buy 1 mabey .. but to amke 1 it will be any where between 50$-100$ depending hon price of products where u live.. and time wise i got mine together in a week..... i still have to resin and paint tho

tserrof said:
not quite that much..... to buy 1 mabey .. but to amke 1 it will be any where between 50$-100$ depending hon price of products where u live.. and time wise i got mine together in a week..... i still have to resin and paint tho

I'll be sure to buy the cheapest most efficient stuff on the market, but I wonder if I have any supplies that might work out in my shed, I'll come back and ask in this thread to see if it will work!!!

Thanks, you just got my spirits high, $50-$100 i A LOT better than $300-$400, which still depends on prices here...

Last edited by a moderator:
tserrof said:

Naw man, It'd be like 30-40 for a respirator if you don't already have some, two packages of cardstock, 'bout 20 bucks, so that's already 50 minimum, a hot glue gun is about 5 bucks, glue sticks (enough for the whole suit) would probably be a good 15 dollars or so. Then you need fiberglass mats/cloths which will be 30-50 dollars for the whole inside suit, lot's of resin (multiple layers, lot's of area to resin), lots of hardener for the resin, we're at about 100 bucks now. Bondo (if you want to detail) would be like 25-30 for a whole suit I believe, then paint, lot's of paint. You'll need a first base layer, then you'll need to spray paint it with a green, several layers, then details with either an airbrush or paintbrush. Then you'll need the under armor, for a good looking, realistic (for a spartan) underarmor set, it'd be about 80 bucks, gloves, another 20, boots, 70-120, any electronics you might want for the LEDs ect. About 15 bucks, then a good visor, 60-70 bucks. So you're looking at about 350-400 give or take 30 bucks. I over estimated a little at first.

Arthraxis said:
Naw man, It'd be like 30-40 for a respirator if you don't already have some, two packages of cardstock, 'bout 20 bucks, so that's already 50 minimum, a hot glue gun is about 5 bucks, glue sticks (enough for the whole suit) would probably be a good 15 dollars or so. Then you need fiberglass mats/cloths which will be 30-50 dollars for the whole inside suit, lot's of resin (multiple layers, lot's of area to resin), lots of hardener for the resin, we're at about 100 bucks now. Bondo (if you want to detail) would be like 25-30 for a whole suit I believe, then paint, lot's of paint. You'll need a first base layer, then you'll need to spray paint it with a green, several layers, then details with either an airbrush or paintbrush. Then you'll need the under armor, for a good looking, realistic (for a spartan) underarmor set, it'd be about 80 bucks, gloves, another 20, boots, 70-120, any electronics you might want for the LEDs ect. About 15 bucks, then a good visor, 60-70 bucks. So you're looking at about 350-400 give or take 30 bucks. I over estimated a little at first.

i doubt i use LEDs for a first suit, and i already have the visor and glue sticks taken care of, bondo im sure has a generic brand thats pretty cheap, along with everything else, and ill proably use some cheap set of spandex suit, a reperaitor im sure i could find something pretty cheap on eBay, boots, meh, spray paint some old shoes or something. Im not necessarily uality, but for more less the gloating of having a Master Chief costume, lol

Arthraxis said:

2 packages of card stock was 10$, hot glue gun ... ask a neighbor.... fiberglass mat..... this is where the price goes up... look around lowes/ home depot find your best deal..... resin about 2 cans will runyou 40$ or so... like 5 things of hardner will be mabey 10-15$... you dont need bondo for your 1st suit really........ visor 2 liter bottle... gold lining.... use a old pair of black shoues for boots.... electonice you might need would really be a fan.... but you dont really need it.... black under clothes.. goodwill/ salvation army 5$.... you probly have paint brushes in a shed or your basement

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
i doubt i use LEDs for a first suit, and i already have the visor and glue sticks taken care of, bondo im sure has a generic brand thats pretty cheap, along with everything else, and ill proably use some cheap set of spandex suit, a reperaitor im sure i could find something pretty cheap on eBay, boots, meh, spray paint some old shoes or something. Im not necessarily uality, but for more less the gloating of having a Master Chief costume, lol

Bondo is the name of the brand. It's expensive. If you're lucky, you'll pay 200 dollars. Don't get your hopes up of getting an amazing suit for 50-100 dollars.

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
Arthraxis, 110 lb. cardstock is only about $5 for 1 ream, are you talking 65 lb.?

Prices could be different as I live in Canada. Paper is over priced here.

Arthraxis said:
Prices could be different as I live in Canada. Paper is over priced here.
that may have a big part of why the prices are turning out different, it also depends on taxes, seeing as its different everywhere.

Also, ill have all the spray paint i need, and probably other stuff as well, i knows people ;)

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
that may have a big part of why the prices are turning out different, it also depends on taxes, seeing as its different everywhere.

Also, ill have all the spray paint i need, and probably other stuff as well, i knows people ;)

Well, the rest are more or less the same, I get most of my stuff online from an American retailer.

Arthraxis said:
Well, the rest are more or less the same, I get most of my stuff online from an American retailer.
online? thats it right there, you have to pay shipping to get to Canada, plus its always going to be more online than in stores, and i plan on using stores for most, if not all, of the stuff

Itll cost less there than it does here now that the USD has fallen below the Canadian dollar :p

drgon47 said:
Itll cost less there than it does here now that the USD has fallen below the Canadian dollar :p
another excellent point... i kinda feel sorry for Canadians making MJOLNIR armor now O_O lol

It costs me like around 150 USD so far. :p
I would say it would take two months for the lazy to finish it and maybe less then a month for someone who does it 24/7

imMonkeyGOD said:
It costs me like around 150 USD so far. :p
I would say it would take two months for the lazy to finish it and maybe less then a month for someone who does it 24/7
how far along are you?

what about procrastinators? maybe a year? lol, ill probably love it so much ill do it in a day, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back